cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wants to keep damaged item but demands refund for shipping costs.

Here's the situation:

Buyer bid and wins item:  $4.00 + shipping is $16.00  (item was heavy)     Total:  $20.00 transaction

Buyer received item but claims slight damage during shipping but wants to keep item.  (Damage could have been caused by the buyer)

I offered 75% refund on item only = $3.00

Buyer wants  75% total refund =  $15.00 (because it will be a larger amount.)  That means I would be selling and shipping the item at a massive loss.

I feel the issue is the damaged item and not shipping costs.

Is buyer entitled to more than cost of the item?   Like i said, the buyer wants to keep it. 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Tell them to return for refund
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

If the buyer files a SNAD complaint, you will be out $36.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@rare_goods wrote:

Is buyer entitled to more than cost of the item?   Like i said, the buyer wants to keep it. 

If the buyer received a damaged item, then yes ... the buyer is entitled to more than the cost of the item BUT the buyer is not entitled to keep the item.  The buyer can get a full refund (cost of item plus shipping) if they file a Money Back Guarantee claim.  They would have to ship the item back to you at your cost in order to receive a refund.  It is an expensive option for you, but some sellers think of this as "winning".

By the way, in looking at your listings, it looks like you are charging a lot of money for shipping, and putting most of the profit of your item into the shipping & handling costs.  Why not offer the buyer 75% of the total minus shipping costs?

Now, with that said, there's a couple of other options available to you if the buyer doesn't want to accept $3 and you don't want to offer more:

• File a claim with your carrier for damage ... tell the customer that they will need to hold onto the item and packaging, and that it could need to be turned over to the USPS for an insurance claim.
  • You can do nothing more and hope the buyer doesn't realize that they can file a MBG claim or give you negative feedback.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply