cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS package delayed, customer upset, what to do

I sold a fairly expensive item, purchased USPS shipping and mailed out that same day.  Well, it's been delayed, and my buyer is upset and opened a case/dispute, I've apologized and explained what the situation is, and they're obviously still upset.  I'm not sure what to do.  I tried to call the post office, but just get the run around and never get to talk to anyone.  The tracking info says it's in transit to the next shipping facility, but there's no expected date of delivery.  I understand why they're upset, and would be too, but it's out of my hands and I've done everything as I should have done. I'm guessing they'll receive their package eventually, which they do want, so it seems silly to have them cancel the purchase and then hope they send it back to me, at maybe my cost.

I saw someone recommend to "Ask buyer to open "item not received case". Then after 2-3 days ask ebay to put case on hold for 10 days. That will usually buy you enough time. If it starts scanning the last day or two ask them to put it on hold again." Does this sound like the right thing to do in my case? I don't even know how to do it...

This is my first time selling something big through Ebay, and not only are the funds being withheld, but my package is MIA and my customer is upset.  Not a fan!

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

How far past the estimated delivery date is it today? 

FYI.  If you refund while it is still pending delivery, you will most likely lose your item and your money. 

Do as you mentioned.  It is a very difficult time with shipping right now. 

Grandma 

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Yes, don't refund yet. Take the advice you outlined - just contact eBay after the buyer opens an "item not received" case so they can extend the deadline. Deliveries are improving since the nightmare holidays, but there are still delays. You don't have control over that. 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

I have more than 2 dozen packages sent since Feb. 17th that are still out there "in transit" and no updated scans.....talk about frustrating! I have messaged all my buyers and kept them up to date on the progress of what the USPS has told me. Everyone so far has been understanding and patient.  Communication seems to be the best method so far.  Hopefully mail delivery will get back on track this week. Good luck

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

If you're talking about the $1300 camera, I'd give the buyer two options - either wait it out a bit longer, it's obvious that you sent it out, and it is stuck in the USPS void. It'll clear out eventually - so much of the US had terrible weather that stuff has gotten delayed getting delivered. If they do not want to wait - have them open a INR so that you can get your fees back when you refund. But - and this is important - MAKE SURE you order an intercept through USPS. It'll cost you $15, but that way it will not get delivered to your buyer, chancing you losing the item without having any money to show for it.

Hopefully you insured it when you sent it out.  if you go the intercept route - check the tracking every day. Intercepts are a pain - the package has to get to it's delivery post office before it starts to make the trip back to you. The couple times I have done a intercept - I watch it like a hawk and call the local post office the day I see it show up there in the tracking to make doubly sure it does not get accidentally delivered to the buyer.

Do you have any idea where it traveled through? Tennessee/Kentucky and/or Texas?

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

You need to open a case with USPS.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@us2014-taura 

Let me sum up all of the good advice above.

Step one - try to get the package  moving,  Commence the 3 Step Missing Mail process {blue text = link}  You can report what you have done to the buyer to show them you are 'doing something" to get the package delivered.  It should show up on the USPS tracking.

Step two - follow the advice about asking the seller what they want to do.  You are doing this to determine if the buyer is trying to pull a fast one.  Don't say that, just ask if they want refund or item.

Step 3 - IF the buyer opens an INR case, contact CS and ask for an extension of time to respond.  eBay has been extending that time by 5, 10 or 15 days to allow backlogs to get worked off.  If you have to refer CS to these announcements:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/UPDATE-Helping-buyers-understand-shipping-delays-and-wha...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/UPDATE-Seller-Protections-for-shipping-delays-from-storm...

Step 4 - IF the buyer files a case or you no longer want to sell to the buyer, the file a Package Intercept with the USPS, Pay the $15.25 and hope the item is returned to you.  I would try to NOT refund until you have the item in your hand.

Also, if anything goes wonky in the process, please feel free to come back here and ASK!  best to get this right the first time! 😋

Good luck!

Good luck!

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

all good advice from everyone above however DO NOT REFUND period. Ebay is being very giving on the delivery times and not closing the INR cases. As long as you stay in touch with the customer Ebay won't close it down. Open a missing Mal search now and then After 15 days of the shipping date you can file a lost package claim and I hope you got the additional insurance at that point they will pay it out or magically find it and deliver it.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

It's not just you, it's happening to everyone and it's not the weather either. I live in Los Angeles and it's been sunny and warm all week. I mailed a package on Mon. 22,  The tracking shows it sat in LA for 6 days, just started moving today. I have other packages I shipped over 2 weeks ago, still "in transit".

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

I'm not a seller, but I just bought a DVD that it has been stuck in pre-shipment for 3 days now.  I'm actually think the delay was caused by USPS and not the seller, I give the seller a heads-up and he addressed the issue for me. The seller that he can refund if it doesn't get by Monday, but I don't need a refund. Great seller though. 

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Always copy and past your tracking # to USPS.com 

Sometimes the Ebay shipping link won't show it moving.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply