cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS claims I paid wrong shipping fee

Has this happened to you? I got an E-mail from eBay that I paid First Class fee and used a Priority Box.  Totally untrua. This was a small item and I used a small brown, used cardboard box from a store, no priority anything, tape, labels etc. The box did not have any markings or barcodes. I'm puzzled. Is this what we are going to see more of from now on? I don't have a way to show what I did. Strange...

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Hmm, earlier this evening I read a post from a seller who had shipped a First Class package (in a padded envelope) and had gotten a simliar message accusing him of using a  Flat Rate Priority Mail envelope, which he is certain  did not do.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Member-To-Member-Support/You-underpaid-for-postage/qaq-p/27934998

However, there have been very few reports of errors since the new system went into effect last August. Perhaps the machines were overwhelmed by holiday volume.

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

@partial*eclipse wrote:

Hmm, earlier this evening I read a post from a seller who had shipped a First Class package (in a padded envelope) and had gotten a simliar message accusing him of using a  Flat Rate Priority Mail envelope, which he is certain  did not do.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Member-To-Member-Support/You-underpaid-for-postage/qaq-p/27934998

However, there have been very few reports of errors since the new system went into effect last August. Perhaps the machines were overwhelmed by holiday volume.

Perhaps both sellers underpaid but eBay is sending out the wrong email? The emails were generated by eBay so maybe eBays getting the reason wrong?

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 3 of 25
latest reply

I’m just wondering how eBay would even know what kind of box or envelope the seller used. Could be phishing email?

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

Was this a "Warning" email from eBay, or were you given instructions on how to repay a balance due, or was an amount subtracted from your PayPal account?

And, as another individual has wondered, how would possibly eBay know what KIND of packaging was used?

Can you supply the URL address?  This sounds phishy.

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

@creoleorchid wrote:

I’m just wondering how eBay would even know what kind of box or envelope the seller used. Could be phishing email?

The USPS Priority Mail packaging has bar codes printed on the box.  Also the new machinery measures the packages.

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

@creoleorchid wrote:

I think they go off the information USPS gives them.....I am totally assuming here but I’m thinking the emails the sellers received were automatically generated and this is yet another example of eBays poor programming. Or maybe they do have a human sending these out and it’s just a form letter and the human failed to change the reason on letter.....maybe all sellers who undercharged or used the wrong label are receiving the same email? 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 7 of 25
latest reply

maybe all sellers who undercharged or used the wrong label are receiving the same email? 

That wouldn't surprise me at all. eBay seems to like the one email fits all scenario.

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

@finnpwr wrote:

Has this happened to you? I got an E-mail from eBay that I paid First Class fee and used a Priority Box. Totally [untrue].

[But] I don't have a way to show what I did. Strange...

It is impossible for you to prove how the package was boxed --

as you could have boxed it correctly, then mailed something else.

@finnpwr

Instead, eBay needs to produce a photo of the box with your label on it.

Pics or It Didn't Happen.

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

I have not had a problem but I take a photo of all my shipments once they are packaged with the label  and the tracking number clearly visible.   Therefore, you can attach a photo of the package or box with printed label showing if USPS claims an error of some sort.    It has helped me remember what I shipped in what packaging just in case a package goes missing or the barcode was not scanned at the destination postal facility as happened to me several weeks ago.   Package was found and the scan was corrected.  

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

This came from eBay:

The U.S. Postal Service has informed us that you recently underpaid on postage for items sold on eBay.

On August 1, 2017, USPS moved to an automated system that detects underpayments and overpayments on postage. If a postage discrepancy is detected, USPS will automatically collect for underpaid postage, or refund for overpaid postage. This effort applies to all online postage printing methods, including eBay Labels.

In accordance with this update, USPS has let us know that you recently underpaid on postage for the below items you sold on eBay. Please note that you will not be charged anything now for these items, but we ask that you check your processes to avoid being charged for additional postage in the future.

Reason: Service printed on label did not match service used
Actual Service: USPS_PRIORITY_MAIL;PACKAGE
Service on label: USPS_FIRST_CLASS_MAIL;PACKAGE

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

Continue:

Date printed: 2017-12-29

Their date is also wrong. The label was printed on 12/19 and package delivered on 12/26.

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

No, i never had a problem with usps saying i paid the wrong amount but i have  a funny thing to share with you all that happened during the holiday shipping season. well at least i thought it was funny.

I had an item that fit perfectly in a new white  priority box i had sitting here for a while so i used it during the holidays. Took it into the small town post office i use and the lady kept flipping it around. then it dawn on me what she was looking for, the bar code.  

i finally spoke up and told her it was a priority box and not a flat rate box.  she gets this embarassed look on her face and said she hasn't seen one of these for a few years that she only gets the flat rate boxes in.  

It gave me a chuckle

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

@finnpwr wrote:

Continue:

Date printed: 2017-12-29

Their date is also wrong. The label was printed on 12/19 and package delivered on 12/26.

In other examples of APV decisions, the "date printed" actualy refers to the date on which the sender was billed for the postage discrepancy.

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

How heavy was the box?  I'll bet that what happened was that it was a weight issue that bumped it from First Class up to Priority.

Message 15 of 25
latest reply