cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS Informed Delivery

This is a service I subscribe to for free from USPS. It shows you images daily of the mail you are receiving via email. It also shows tracking numbers of packages you are receiving. This is a great feature to integrate as part of proof of delivery.

For example, my $0.99 purchase on eBay was received today. The seller used 1 forever stamp to mail it to me. No tracking, just the image of the envelope on my daily email from USPS's Informed Delivery service. The seller does not have access to the images of the mail that I receive, obviously, but it's an interesting thought and actually way better than a tracking number showing delivered somewhere in my zip code. Something that scammers seam to have circumvented.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: USPS Informed Delivery

From a seller's perspective, I'm not sure if that would help proove delivery in the eyes of the ebay system. 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I'm just putting it out there that this service exists and somewhere is a database with all packages, envelopes, tracking numbers with images delivered to your address. It's a great service that is almost flawless so I'm sure it won't be implemented or integrated with proof of delivery on eBay.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@sew_fastenating wrote:

This is a service I subscribe to for free from USPS. It shows you images daily of the mail you are receiving via email. It also shows tracking numbers of packages you are receiving. This is a great feature to integrate as part of proof of delivery.

For example, my $0.99 purchase on eBay was received today. The seller used 1 forever stamp to mail it to me. No tracking, just the image of the envelope on my daily email from USPS's Informed Delivery service. The seller does not have access to the images of the mail that I receive, obviously, but it's an interesting thought and actually way better than a tracking number showing delivered somewhere in my zip code. Something that scammers seam to have circumvented.

Sorry, I am not following.

Are you saying that eBay and the seller could somehow use informed delivery that they cannot see to prove that an envelope with no tracking number was delivered? 

Are you saying that a buyer could use the lack of informed delivery that eBay and the seller cannot see to somehow prove that an item was not delivered?

Or are you proposing that the USPS set up some sort of system where an eBay buyer is required to grant eBay or the seller access to their informed delivery feed so their mail can be monitored?

Or are you suggesting something else?

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@sew_fastenating 

I use informed delivery to see what mail is coming, it’s a nice feature. But…..
Informed Delivery is for the recipient to see what to expect in their mailbox. It’s highly doubtful it would ever be used in an item not received case since informed delivery only shows delivery for 7 days and does not save the previous 7 days.  So how would you think this would be a tool as proof of delivery in a INR case? 

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I think OP is saying that it's too bad USPS hasn't integrated the ability to show tracking on letters.......which ebay sellers could then use to prove delivery............  whether USPS can do it, with the current system, we don't know.

It would encompass billions of pieces of mail........general google search shows they deliver 425 million pieces of mail each day......some of which would be packages...

I think someday, they probably will be able to do it........but not now.........

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

From what I've been able to research on Informed Delivery is they 1st class letter is scanned at the post office's sorting center so while it won't prove "to the door" delivery it can help locate where the item is when it comes to delivery.

I wonder if Informed Delivery for sellers would qualify as a "tracking number" as it does show that an item was received by the Post Office and transported to the nearest sorting center of the buyer.  In most cases when it comes to fraud buyers want to make sure what they paid for was actually shipped and they seller isn't trying to rip them off.

As for the use for the seller they can potentially qualify as a top rated seller if they're able use the Informed Delivery number as a "tracking number".

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I sometimes take a picture on my iPhone of letter being mailed and send it to buyer....telling them item has been mailed and show photo or if it's a package. I think it helps. No one yet has said "hey, has my item been mailed or where is it?'.....I do it since I don't have tracking on cheap items.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply