cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS First Class - Will be slowed down May 1st??

Hello All,

I am a new seller on eBay ~ Recently retired and selling treasures found in storage!

I have heard that as of May 1st of this year, USPS First Class service will be substantially slowed down. Due to costs, they will only "move" USPS first class by train or truck, no air transport!

I have found that USPS First class has been my best option for shipping my smaller packages (most of them are small). I have used UPS and USPS Media Mail for a few larger items, but they cost more.

So, with this change in service, I am wondering how long it will take for buyers to get a package shipped this new way.  Which also means a longer wait for cleared funds.

I have looked at a few other options, but nothing is as competitive as the rates we have now on eBay with USPS First Class.

Anyone looking into other options? Would love to hear ideas and suggestions, so that I might start changing some of my shipping info on active items. I want to be proactive!

PLEASE share your expertise! 🙂 Thank you! 🙂

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: USPS First Class - Will be slowed down May 1st??

@soh.maryl wrote:

If you are tying the release of funds to proof of delivery, you are mistaken.  

What am I mistaken about? The only thing I said is that once the OP builds up a good track record, their funds won't be held on every transaction.

The OP commented that as a new seller delivery status currently correlates to their funds being released, and they are correct:

New or infrequent sellers will experience transaction holds while we confirm that their items have been successfully delivered. This helps sellers become established and build a strong selling history on eBay. In limited circumstances, new sellers may experience holds for up to 21 days. (link)

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 16 of 29
latest reply

@onefootflipper wrote:

If that becomes true then it won't matter, everyone selling whatever it is you sell will also be equally slowed down. Almost no buyers will choose to pay extra for faster shipping. 

Even during the height of the Christmas 2020 COVID delays where a lot of packages were delayed for two weeks or more, I had exactly one buyer who got antsy about where their package was. The vast majority of buyers simply don't care.

Message 17 of 29
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:hipping. 

Even during the height of the Christmas 2020 COVID delays where a lot of packages were delayed for two weeks or more, I had exactly one buyer who got antsy about where their package was. The vast majority of buyers simply don't care.

I agree.  As long as buyers see that the item is scanned and in the system then an extra 48 hours is not going to be much of an issue.  Also, I switched to 3-day shipping and everything is listed as "economy" shipping  which has a longer expected delivery date.  Since I get most packages out in less than 3 days I get excellent feedback relative to my shipping.  Under promise and over deliver is the path to happy customers.

Message 18 of 29
latest reply

I read in a recent survey that customers are now being a bit more realistic regarding shipping time, this after the COVID disaster and nothing could have been worse than that. Now I think they are a bit used to things taking longer to get there.

Message 19 of 29
latest reply

I get great rates on Ebay labels from Fed Ex using their express 2 day service. This for small packages only though. And they are more expensive than USPS priority mail, but I am assured this stuff gets to customer’s about as fast as Amazon Prime. Just have to add the expense to the item, and only if your profit margins can handle that along with the type of item you sell regarding price points.

Message 20 of 29
latest reply

@m60driver wrote:

@yuzuha wrote:hipping. 

I agree.  As long as buyers see that the item is scanned and in the system then an extra 48 hours is not going to be much of an issue.  Also, I switched to 3-day shipping and everything is listed as "economy" shipping  which has a longer expected delivery date.  Since I get most packages out in less than 3 days I get excellent feedback relative to my shipping.  Under promise and over deliver is the path to happy customers.

Exactly. Other than that one buyer (and in that case it was understandable because that package went almost a month with no movement whatsoever), I have yet to have a single buyer ask me where their package is once it's been shipped, even if it takes a while to get there. They can see the tracking and know that it's on its way.

Message 21 of 29
latest reply

This was on all the tv network so get off the internet and listen to your news stations 

Message 22 of 29
latest reply

News to me, I haven't heard anything specific about First Class being slowed down for any reason!  Just a friendly TIP since you are a new seller on eBay; First Class Media Mail is for Books, CD's, etc. It's the cheapest rate, just know USPS does open  packages that are not the shape of Media items.  I wouldn't worry too much about changing your  preferred First Class shipping, USPS is going to deliver your package when they deliver your package!  Welcome to selling on eBay! Happy Sales!

Message 23 of 29
latest reply

@norall98 wrote:

This was on all the tv network so get off the internet and listen to your news stations 

Um, re-read my post. In response to the comment from another member about problems with accuracy of information on the internet, I was able to quickly provide three links to reputable sources including a business journal, a federal news service, and the original memo from USPS themselves. I would never waste my time watching TV news.

Message 24 of 29
latest reply

@shirlssilk wrote: ... Just a friendly TIP since you are a new seller on eBay; First Class Media Mail is for ...

There is no service called "First Class Media Mail."

Message 25 of 29
latest reply

My Mistake; USPS Media Mail is for books, USPS First Class is for items weighing 15 ounces or less.

it's been a long day, thanks for the correction!

Message 26 of 29
latest reply

Hi--- What concerns me is that the new 1st class package will go with parcel select etc.  That means a 15 ounce fragile item double or even triple boxed will be going with packages up to 70 pounds.  I cannot see how  that kind  of package is likely to survive unless USPS specifically separates the 1st class items from the parcel select. Should I start to use Priority for fragile 1st class items ? Thanks. 

Message 27 of 29
latest reply

@boscobosco12 wrote:

Hi--- What concerns me is that the new 1st class package will go with parcel select etc.  That means a 15 ounce fragile item double or even triple boxed will be going with packages up to 70 pounds.  I cannot see how  that kind  of package is likely to survive unless USPS specifically separates the 1st class items from the parcel select. Should I start to use Priority for fragile 1st class items ? Thanks. 

This is an old thread about a slow down in first class package delivery @boscobosco12 and the moderators tend to lock old, outdated discussions. If you want to discuss the switch to Ground Advantage, I suggest finding a current thread. There's one linked in my signature below.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 28 of 29
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 29 of 29
latest reply