cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS FIRST CLASS SHIPPING NOW UP TO 16 OUNCES HOW TO SHIP SMARTLY

As a seller, in the past if the item you are shipping weighed over 13 ounces you could not ship at first class rates. However USPS now allows you to ship up to 16 ounces (1lb.) using first class.

USPS charges $6.45 normal rates for shipping an item that weighs 14 -16 ounces. This is comparible to using USPS Priority flat rate envelope for $6.45. 

However your ebay discount for using USPS is much greater if you choose first class over Priority when mailing.

For example for a 16 ounce package my cost for shipping is only $3.65 compared to $5.75 if using Priority flat rate mail.

Where I have found this useful is when I am listing an item that falls into the 14-16 ounce range I often will charge the buyer $4 to $5 to ship first class and make a little on shipping while giving them a $2 to $3 discount by not having to use Priority.

I keep this in mind when I am packaging items for shipment,knowing if I can keep the package weight at one pound or below I can benefit as well as the buyer. In the past I would have no alternative but to ship Parcel or Priority.

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

The weight limit when you purchase postage at the retail counter is still 13 ounces.

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

When you print FCP online prepaid labels, you will see the words ComBas on the label, along with the name of the service, First Class Package Service.  Just point out these details to the PO clerk.

This class of mail is different from retail First Class Mail - Pkg., whose weight limit is 13 oz.   The PO sells only retail FCM -- the clerk applies the PVI strip and a Label 400 (tracking number) or you can buy and affix stamps.

~~C~~ 

My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 17 of 25
latest reply

Hi, 

I plan to ship my 14 oz item+ poly mailer in first class through paypal, do you think USPS will allow that? 

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

Yes.

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

Maybe so, but as a re-upped seller, the USPS info on line said 13 oz and less. So this message is helpful to stay on the board because I was able to verify quickly that what I deduced was correct. 

Message 20 of 25
latest reply

Thank you, I wouldn't have thought to double-check that.

Message 21 of 25
latest reply

So can someone please explain to me why my local postal office keeps returning my packages fo "not enough postage" ??? Every time without fail, if I try to ship an 16oz item on first class it gets refused by the loving usps lady. I know every thing is just right on my end but how do I stop her from returning my packages ???/

Message 22 of 25
latest reply

You can only ship up to and including  15.9 oz. by First Class.  Sixteen oz. and even a tiny bit more has to go by Priority Mail.  You need to know the exact accurate weight of your package. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 23 of 25
latest reply

alan@ebay wrote:

Meanwhile, in the backend, we've started work on bulk locking and archiving old threads. We'll continue to do this regularly on all boards as part of our maintenance of the Community. 

Thanks.

Message 24 of 25
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 25 of 25
latest reply