cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPS Shipping Surcharges

HI! Long time seller new to these forums and need help. Ill try to keep this as short as possible. Switched from Fed Ex to UPS last year and happy overall until recently. I ship large items with professionally made brand new double wall boxes that measure 53x8x29.  Starting the last week in March I have been getting "shipping adjustments" from UPS with around a $79 "adjustment" on each one. (today was the 4th one) 

1 example is UPS measured my box as 57x8x30 which added the surcharge. This is absolutely physically impossible. Boxes do not bulge in any way in any direction. 

Called ebay, they tossed the ball to UPS. Called UPS they pass it to ebay. (I print the labels through ebay and they want ebays account number to offer any help)

No help through the "Ebay for business" page either. 

I am not in any way trying to get away with anything and am 100% accurate on this. I just want to be treated fairly.  Been doing this for 25+ years and never ever an issue until now. 

I know a couple other sellers who do this and they said they are running into the same thing. 

I am at a total loss... this is very frustrating. Can anyone please help? thank you!

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

UPS Shipping Surcharges

Hi @shadow27 . Sorry to hear you're dealing with this; you're not the only seller that's reported UPS charging them for inflated dimensions.

If you purchase the UPS labels through eBay then the only way to appeal is through eBay customer service. When you contact them you need to ask them to file an appeal on the cost adjustment because UPS stated dimensions are wrong.

If this continues to be a problem, you may want to consider alternate options for shipping UPS such as through your own UPS account or through PirateShip.com. eBay's UPS Ground rates are currently slightly lower than Pirate's, however that point is moot if you're constantly getting slammed with these cost adjustments. On Pirate the dispute process is easier - it's literally a few clicks on the label transaction. You can also integrate Pirate with your eBay account so it will import your orders and automatically send tracking to eBay.

I have gotten erroneous UPS cost adjustments for size when buying labels from Pirate, but the dispute process is simple and I've always been credited back within 2-3 weeks.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

UPS Shipping Surcharges

@shadow27 wrote:

I ship large items with professionally made brand new double wall boxes that measure 53x8x29.  Starting the last week in March I have been getting "shipping adjustments" from UPS with around a $79 "adjustment" on each one. (today was the 4th one) 

I am at a total loss... this is very frustrating. Can anyone please help? thank you!

Seems like you are getting a Large Package Surcharge penalty applied to your package ... your LENGTH+GIRTH is right under the limit, and all it takes is one of the girth measurements to be increased 1-inch by the fast scanners, and you'll be subject to the charge.

It has been a long time since I've had to appeal one of these charges, so I may be rusty.  But, there is supposed to be a way to challenge the cost adjustment through eBay.  I am pretty sure that you cannot get it adjusted by talking directly with UPS - I think whomever you spoke with at eBay is wrong.   Look through the message you received for instructions, or go to the shipping page and see if there is an appeal link at the top of the shipping label page (where the adjustments are listed).

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

UPS Shipping Surcharges

There isn't an appeal link @orangehound . Currently the only way to appeal a UPS or FedEx cost adjustment for a label purchased through eBay is to contact customer service, get to a live rep, and ask the rep to file the appeal with the carrier. It's not a good system.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

UPS Shipping Surcharges

@wastingtime101 wrote:

There isn't an appeal link @orangehound . Currently the only way to appeal a UPS or FedEx cost adjustment for a label purchased through eBay is to contact customer service, get to a live rep, and ask the rep to file the appeal with the carrier. It's not a good system.

Gotcha 👍 

Like I wrote, it has been a long while since I've had an adjustment through eBay (my recent issues have been through labels on PirateShip).

So, then, by all means get in touch with quality eBay reps, like through Facebook ... not the ones that are often responding on this site.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

UPS Shipping Surcharges

It's important to measure boxes individually after packed and use that for the label, not what they were custom made to be or the size printed on them.   The interior flap where they are joined can be off kilter making any box a little bigger and screwing up the measurement.  

Message 6 of 6
latest reply