cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPS Fake tracking number scam, no ebay buyer protection

Got scammed with fake tracking number and Paypal and ebay denied my claim. I bought a graphic card from the ebay seller whose profile stated they were in the United States. Eventually the shipping information coming out of Jacksonville was uploaded after I requested refund for item not received. I bought one of these Graphic cards as did 55 other people from the same seller all sold on the same day. Seller was with 50 positive reviews of cheap items. Since then 18+ negative reviews for seller, all from people scammed like me who bought the same card and other items sold on the same day by the same seller. The surprising part is eBay and Paypal seem to be backing the seller because all they can see is delivery to the same zip, and the burden is on me to get a letter from UPS saying the tracking number was not for me. Actually, they just closed my claim and looks like don’t even give me the change to appeal it and provide evidenve that the item actually was not delivered to the address.

I am not sure how the seller does it, wonder if they work for UPS or know someone who does. 

I filed a claim with PayPal because their protection promise says I can open a dispute if my order never arrives. I want UPS to send PayPal the proof that it didn’t arrive to my address, but all ebay and PayPal required is a tracking number loaded and shows delivered.”  I think this isn't a simple mistake. I also discovered that ebay website doesn't even list any contact information or no one will return my emails, there is no way to contact them and they don’t want to give you any chance to prove otherwise and provide evidence. 

So the ebay buyer guarantee sucks. I am going to file complaint with ICCC.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

You're going to have to take the seller to court.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Your eBay ID says that you're in Eastern Europe, in the former Soviet republic of Georgia.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Go here. See which applies to you, or go all the way to bottom of page and "have us call you"

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@ge2014-kris,

When filing an Item Not Received dispute on ebay,  it goes through an automated system that only looks for a delivery scan. (most 3rd party retail sites do that) As a result it will deny your claim.  However, you can appeal the decision but you need to do some leg work to win the appeal.   Because you filed a dispute with Paypal you gave up your Money Back Guarantee protections.  You can use PayPal's appeal system to get the refund with the info below.  Do an Online search for "Appealing a PayPal Item Not Received decision".

Scammers like using UPS and FedEx because they make it difficult to get the info you need. They will not send emails (which ebay will not accept as proof)) or letters which ebay would accept.  That means you have to go to a UPS store.  When you go take a print out of your order details that has your address and the tracking number. (if you use a phone or tablet take that so you can show the counter person the info)

Neither company will give you exact info about address or package size/weight.  But you can get them to write a note on company stationary, saying the tracking number shows delivery to a different address and if applicable that the package type/weight does not match what should have been sent.  Once you have that info you can file the appeal and attach a clear photo or Scan of the note to it.  In the appeal state the seller has negatives for the same issue.  The appeal is handled by a real person who will check it and reverse the decision. 

The proper order for filing disputes is ebay's MBG 1st then if needed an appeal. If the appeal fails then you can try PayPal, but you may need better information to win.  If you used a credit card trying to do a charge back through them is your last resort, but chances are they will not find in your favor either unless you have better proof of delivery to a different location. 

FYI, No company will protect you from Porch Piracy.

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/returns-refunds/appeal-ebays-decision-return-missing-item-buyers?id...

"I bought one of these Graphic cards as did 55 other people from the same seller all sold on the same day. Seller was with 50 positive reviews of cheap items. Since then 18+ negative reviews for seller, all from people scammed like me who bought the same card and other items sold on the same day by the same seller."

Let me guess the price for the graphic card was lower than trending prices or a  too good to be true one. That by itself should be a warning that unfortunately many ignore. When buying from any seller check their feedback profile page, and if they have a sudden change in selling habits, it is probably because they are a scammer.

Were those 55 positives for buying or selling?  There's a big difference if they were.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

I am in Georgia and I use USA2GEORGIA support system to receive parcels.  So I indicate their American address in the shipping information. Then they safely transport parcels from the USA to Georgia. I'll ask them to step in to handle ebay shipment showing as delivered. I just filed a claim with the Paypal as this scam was so obvious, and they side with the scammer, when all buyers report the same problem, they don't want to check anything, fake tracking and item not received, ebay and paypal  do nothing to stop it.

eBay seems to be backing the seller because all they can see is delivery to the same zip, and they don't care around 20 people report same issue with the same seller. 

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

When I was buying there was a clear notice saying "Buy with confidence, this item is covered by the eBay money back guarantee". What their guarantee actually means “Buy at my own risk as there is a really high risk of being scammed and getting ripped off”.

The item I bought was slightly cheaper compared to similar ones and the seller had 55 positive reviews. Now the seller has 18 negative reviews all stating item not received and ebay and paypal denied the claim!

So why claims go through an automated system that only looks for a delivery scan? Is it to make the things easier for scammer, promoting and tolerating crime?  Especially when it is obvious that its scam and other recent buyers report the same issue?

The thing is any thief can open an account on eBay, advertise non-existent stuff, have people buy and pay them and doesn't even need to do anything else because eBay will back the thieves.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@ge2014-kris wrote:

I filed a claim with PayPal

This where your "Buy with confidence, this item is covered by the eBay money back guarantee" ended. Sorry, but you can't go back now. You could've claimed your item is missing, and got a refund.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

I wouldn't say it's a high risk. The majority of sellers are honest on Ebay.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

I really did not know I had to use different tricks to get my money back for the item I never received and that ebay is open to fake tracking exploitation by obviously dishonest sellers. Ebay does not warn you about it when you buy. It should be pretty easy for them to check whether the item was actually delivered to the address or it was delivered to different address in the same city or ZIP as there are records of every parcel delivered. The seller seemed very confident, waited until I requested money back and uploaded fake tracking number, like he was sure this will work.

Also I didn’t not know I’d lose ebay money guarantee once I click file claim with paypal, as ebay shows you this option so that you click on it, there is no notice on the page warning you that you’d lose your money back guarantee, once you click on it your case is just closed and you can’t get in touch with anyone from ebay even if you clicked accidentally. Is that also to make things easier for scammers?

This scammer did the same thing to many other buyers. And ebay does nothing about serial scammers!

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Kris,

The same thing is happening to me. I bought a $300 inverter generator from a seller, shipping from Rochester NY. The day after I paid, I got a UPS tracking number on EBay that showed “shipped”, then “delivered” hours apart.  I never received anything from UPS that entire month. My first thought was that UPS accidentally shipped it to the wrong address. I tried to contact the seller multiple times, but never got a response. I contacted UPS, who responded and provided the name of the person (not me) and the city (same as me) and showed it as shipping from Las Vegas, not Rochester as the listing stated. Suddenly the light bulb went on; This is a scam tracking.  Because it was listed as a “business” item, the rules for reporting the issue to Ebay are different. Those rules don’t cover purchases under $1000. So, I contacted Ebay to report fraud (via phone). I gave them all the information and afterwards received an email documenting that I reported fraud, but it assigned no case number and stated that this email couldn’t be responded to. So, now what?  Since you have already been through this what would you advise?

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Wow, your story is so close to mine it's insane. I waited for my item for 3 weeks, contacting seller several times, he always assured me the item was on it's way. But I never got a notice with tracking number. Then suddenly one night I got a UPS notice saying, delivered. Along with tracking number and total shipment schedule. But never got the item. What a **bleep**. I think they use your money while they have it for investment or something else. Wow. 

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

If you paid by credit card contact your card company.  They know all about that game and will check with the shipper and see it did not go to you.    Always pay with a credit card for the much needed added protection.

That scam has been going on over 15 years now.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply