cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two separate purchases and payments, 3 days apart and seller combines items?

I made purchase on 6th of October made payment and postage ($19.00) My choice. Then on the 9th of October made another purchase and also paid postage ($19.00) Spent over $280 

I did not ask the seller to combine items or even request any extra handling.  It was my free choice to purchase these items and pay the fees.  To tell the truth I did not even think about it, just expected two parcels. On checking in to see if items were being mailed and find the tracking numbers, I find that the seller had taken it upon themselves to combine both items in one package.  I sent a message to ask why.  And to also point out that I had paid postage for separate items. They replied that it cost extra and that they had also purchased signature insurance, which was not in original agreement or in the description. Totally an afterthought and decision of their own.  Their answer. (I seriously don’t make any money on shipping. I also purchased a signature insurance.) Am I wrong to want a refund on one fee.  

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Two separate purchases and payments, 3 days apart and seller combines items?

Thank you all for your replies.    No longer an issue.  Seller did not like that I questioned her practice and cancelled both orders.   Refunded and case closed.   Moving on.  

View Best Answer in original post

Message 21 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Two separate purchases and payments, 3 days apart and seller combines items?

Am I wrong to want a refund on one fee.

@susanc254 

Admittedly, it'd be nice to receive at least a partial, but I think that sending 2 items would  cost more than shipping one...

ETA: Bottom line, the seller should have shipped separately, in my opinion.

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

@susanc254 

Admittedly, it'd be nice to receive at least a partial, but I think that sending 2 items would  cost more than shipping one...

ETA: Bottom line, the seller should have shipped separately, in my opinion.

I disagree that separate shipments would cost more than combining. (In cases of very heavy items, maybe, but generally, combined shipping costs less than separate.)

I'd ask the seller for a refund of the overpayment for shipping that resulted from them combining. Explain that you were okay with paying full shipping twice since they were separate orders and (presumably) separate packages but having combined, you expect the overage.

IMO, this is different than asking for a discount after purchase. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

As a seller I would consider your message, calculate what I actually paid (I doubt it was EXACTLY $38 or maybe not even near that) and refund you the difference out of the $38 that you paid.

It is ridiculously easy to issue a partial refund for a shipping adjustment. 

But also as a seller, I would have done this WITHOUT you asking. "I don't make any money on shipping" is **bleep** because that is exactly what he/she did unless they can show otherwise that the label cost $38 or more.

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

@susanc254 wrote:

Yes.

eBay encourages sellers to combine shipments to the same buyer, even when purchases are made separately. That's why they offer this handy option on the bulk shipping page:

combine.png

You can ask the seller if they're willing to offer a partial refund on shipping, but the seller is under no obligation to do so. The time to ask about combined shipping discounts is before a purchase, not after.

If I was the seller I would give you a courtesy partial, but again, sellers are not required to do so.

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@wastingtime101 wrote:

the seller is under no obligation to do so.

The seller obliged themselves once they say this..."I seriously don’t make any money on shipping"

Seller needs to put their money where their mouth is and pony up a partial refund.

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

@susanc254 wrote:

I made purchase on 6th of October made payment and postage ($19.00) My choice. Then on the 9th of October made another purchase and also paid postage ($19.00) Spent over $280 

I did not ask the seller to combine items or even request any extra handling.  It was my free choice to purchase these items and pay the fees.  To tell the truth I did not even think about it, just expected two parcels. On checking in to see if items were being mailed and find the tracking numbers, I find that the seller had taken it upon themselves to combine both items in one package.  I sent a message to ask why.  And to also point out that I had paid postage for separate items. They replied that it cost extra and that they had also purchased signature insurance, which was not in original agreement or in the description. Totally an afterthought and decision of their own.  Their answer. (I seriously don’t make any money on shipping. I also purchased a signature insurance.) Am I wrong to want a refund on one fee.  

Signature confirmation was unnecessary and totally the seller's choice. It's not a valid excuse for overcharging you on shipping. SC is required when the total payment (including shipping) is $750 or more. Your <$300 purchase doesn't require s.c.

Do NOT threaten feedback but once you receive the package, check out the weight, shipping method and whether the seller really did purchase s.c.  Calculate the actual shipping cost (or return to have us do it) and if you were overcharged excessively, you can leave honest, unemotional and factual feedback. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

Within eBay policy, the seller is under no obligation to send a partial refund. The seller didn't do anything wrong according to eBay policy and as long as they didn't downgrade the shipping method, there is no SNAD here.

If you want to talk morality, whether bad FB is warranted, etc - that's different.

Adding signature confirmation after the sale is a jerk move. That kind of info should be posted up front so buyers can make informed buying choices.

But the seller is not required to refund any shipping overage. eBay would not force a partial refund for combined shipping.

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

It really depends.  I recently did a combined shipment, and it was more than what the buyer paid as it was LARGER and heavier.  I had to upgrade the buyer to priority due to the weight of the combined order and added packaging.

BTW,

Who else recently paid $5.38 to ship 12 ounces cross country? (OR->NY)

KrazzyKats  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1998

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

Combining items that would ship via First Class package can easily push the total package weight over that important 1-pound threshold. But in the original case, the shipping cost was $19 so this wasn't a case of combining First Class packages.

Yes, $5.38 is the current online price to ship 8+ to 12 ounces to Zone 8. Rates went up on October 2. Here's the official USPS rates document, Notice 123:

http://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/manuals/dmm300/notice123.pdf

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

I never use feedback as a weapon.  It is not even an option.  I am very fair. 🙂  I appreciate all answers and advice.  Thank you.

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

So you're saying that you're OK paying $38 for shipping as long as it all goes into USPS's pocket rather than the seller's?

I agree with the above advice to stay cool, wait for the package to arrive, then figure out what the seller actually paid (it probably won't be shown on the label, but we can help) and then decide how much of that difference should come back to you. Remember, the seller is entitled to charge a handling fee to cover packaging, printer ink, etc.

I also agree with the posters above who said that the seller's decision to purchase Signature Confirmation was unwarranted, and you certainly shouldn't be expected to subsidize that. Sellers should always advise buyers when they intend to purchase Signature Confirmation, right in the listing of items that could sell for over $750, because going to the PO to sign for a package is impossible for some and very inconvenient for others. If a potential buyer knew in advance, they could use a different shipping address (such as a relative, neighbor, or their workplace) or find a different seller.

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

When I made the purchases four days apart, I had already paid for first item.  I always pay as soon as purchase is made. There was not even a mention of shopping over several days and then combine shipment.  It was a totally out of the blue purchase on the second item that was a new listing. As far as I was concerned it might as well have been separate sellers.   Please read it properly.  I am not asking for discount after the fact.

Maybe sellers are not required to do certain things.

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

You are missing the point here.   The second purchase was three days later, and I did not ask or want combined shipping.   If I had been two separate customers, she would have had to do what was paid for.

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

Your first purchase was on Thursday October 6, and the second was on Sunday October 9. Probably the seller was doing his weekend packing and shipping on either Sunday or Monday (since Monday was a postal holiday) and noticed that he had two items going to the same location so he combined them.

eBay policy does not require sellers to reimburse buyers for overpaid shipping, though of course that's good buyer relations. Especially now that sellers get a credit for the final value fee that was charged for the refunded amount. Your seller doesn't seem to be very customer-oriented, since the combined shipping surely cost him less than the two separate packages would have cost. But he isn't violating any eBay policies.

Message 15 of 24
latest reply