cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracking contiually updates to still in transit - just refund the customer?

If the time window that eBay accepts is seven (7) days for an item not showing any movement through the mail, how come I only have four (4) days to resolve an "Item not received" request? From the tracking number, all I am able to discern is that on the expected delivery date of Tuesday, November 27, 2018 the item that I mailed on Friday, November 21, 2018 has been at its destination city since the 23rd but is still in transit to the next facility. I feel like this is just an auto refresh update. Since this location is Brooklyn, New York I am doubtful that I will have much luck contacting any specific post office(s) but will of course continue to try. The item's value is low enough that I did not insure it (and have no regrets about not insuring it; it would cost me more in the big picture) but am assuming that insurance is the only way to file anything with USPS since they're going to want a claim number I'm sure.

Otherwise, it would be best for me to just issue a refund prior to the case resolution deadline (which in this situation it is December 4th) and if the customer does end up getting the item, consider it a gift for the inconvenience, despite it not being my fault. Is this the way this whole process of seller protection and buyer guarantees work? I do receive a credit back for my final value fee if the case is closed without eBay "stepping in" and "helping" right? I am a very small seller who just prior to this matter happening was thinking about ramping up my eBay selling however, if I can't/don't want to handle dealing with this one issue and a pretty patient, albeit somewhat illiterate buyer, then I think I'll stick with my day job 😉

Which leads me to wanting to express my utmost admiration to those of you who masterfully execute your functions as eBay sellers and I'm sorry for all of the really nasty crud that it probably entails at times. My biggest take away from this experience is to be a better customer although I already am; and since eBay isn't going to change, I think my time is better spent on self improvement. Sorry for the derailment there.

More succinctly; is it best practice to resolve an "Item not received" case on time by going ahead and refunding the customer for the delayed, uninsured item?

Thank you for any insight that you may be able to share and my sincerest appreciation of what it takes to sell on eBay!

-Laura

The devil is in the details.
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Have you requested ebay to grant an extension of time before this case will close ?

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Have you requested ebay to grant an extension of time before this case will close ?

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@laurak858 wrote:

If the time window that eBay accepts is seven (7) days for an item not showing any movement through the mail, how come I only have four (4) days to resolve an "Item not received" request? From the tracking number, all I am able to discern is that on the expected delivery date of Tuesday, November 27, 2018 the item that I mailed on Friday, November 21, 2018 has been at its destination city since the 23rd but is still in transit to the next facility. I feel like this is just an auto refresh update. Since this location is Brooklyn, New York I am doubtful that I will have much luck contacting any specific post office(s) but will of course continue to try. The item's value is low enough that I did not insure it (and have no regrets about not insuring it; it would cost me more in the big picture) but am assuming that insurance is the only way to file anything with USPS since they're going to want a claim number I'm sure.

Otherwise, it would be best for me to just issue a refund prior to the case resolution deadline (which in this situation it is December 4th) and if the customer does end up getting the item, consider it a gift for the inconvenience, despite it not being my fault. Is this the way this whole process of seller protection and buyer guarantees work? I do receive a credit back for my final value fee if the case is closed without eBay "stepping in" and "helping" right? I am a very small seller who just prior to this matter happening was thinking about ramping up my eBay selling however, if I can't/don't want to handle dealing with this one issue and a pretty patient, albeit somewhat illiterate buyer, then I think I'll stick with my day job 😉

Which leads me to wanting to express my utmost admiration to those of you who masterfully execute your functions as eBay sellers and I'm sorry for all of the really nasty crud that it probably entails at times. My biggest take away from this experience is to be a better customer although I already am; and since eBay isn't going to change, I think my time is better spent on self improvement. Sorry for the derailment there.

More succinctly; is it best practice to resolve an "Item not received" case on time by going ahead and refunding the customer for the delayed, uninsured item?

Thank you for any insight that you may be able to share and my sincerest appreciation of what it takes to sell on eBay!

-Laura

Happy to clarify! When we look at an INR claim where tracking has been provided but the item may be lost in transit, we make a determination as to whether or not it would be reasonable to assume the package is lost before mandating a refund. If there is a tracking update within the past week for a domestic transaction or 10 days for international, we will allow more time for delivery. The time we allow may vary depending on how far beyond the estimated delivery date we are at, but is typically between 5 and 15 days more.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Do NOT give your money away. 

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

If there hasn't been a domestic scan in over a week that package is lost, destroyed or worse.

...still it won't hurt to call in for an extension.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Thank you for this very helpful suggestion. I will definitely do so especially now that I have an actual case number from USPS. I must say I lucked out making my calls as I happened to land with a cust service rep that actually knew what was going on and it is even showing in the tracking history now. Additionally, thank you to everyone for your thoughtlful responses; I apprecaite it very much!

The devil is in the details.
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Even though you've started a case with the USPS, contact your local Postmaster with the tracking number and let him do some research on where your package might be. Packages are scanned and photographed throughout the delivery process, and the postmaster may be able to contact someone at the last sorting center it was scanned at to see if the package can be located and sent on its way.

This has worked twice for me in the last month (when we normally have no more than 2 "lost" packages in an entire year). Online cases I've filed with the USPS for items not delivered to us never achieve results, and after 3 months or so we get a canned response with their apologies.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I just had a First Class package stuck in "In Transit to Next Facility" which after nine (9) calendar days since last "Scan" did suddenly arrive and deliver.  Below is the tracking info.   On the fifth (5) day from ship I I did open an Inquiry with USPS and within two days was replied with a name and branch of someone who was said to be looking into it, which I shared with the recipient, but I heard nothing else, until suddenly the package arrived.  Recipient was an EPS address like EPS #F-xxxxx, in Doral FL.

Friday, Nov 15, 2019 8:00 AM MIAMI , FL DELIVERED TO AGENT

Friday, Nov 15, 2019 6:00 AM MIAMI , FL ARRIVAL AT UNIT

Wednesday, Nov 6, 2019 12:00 AM In Transit to Next Facility

Tuesday, Nov 5, 2019 12:00 AM In Transit to Next Facility

Monday, Nov 4, 2019 12:00 AM In Transit to Next Facility

Saturday, Nov 2, 2019 3:00 AM MIAMI FL DISTRIBUTION CENTER Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility Friday, Nov 1, 2019 2:05 AM ALBANY NY DISTRIBUTION CENTER Departed USPS Regional Facility

Thursday, Oct 31, 2019 9:34 PM ALBANY NY DISTRIBUTION CENTER Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility Thursday, Oct 31, 2019 5:23 PM ALBANY , NY Departed Post Office

Thursday, Oct 31, 2019 12:51 PM ALBANY , NY USPS picked up item

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I've had two packages stuck in transit, not at once, but it was pretty close. The first one, I refunded and what do you know, next day package gets delivered. The second time, I said no way am I refunding, I'm gonna wait, and package finally got delivered.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply