cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The day Ebay asked me to commit a felony!

Today I recieved an item in the mail that was broken by the customer.  I asked for an appeal having all the documentation proving the item was fully functional and packaged properly.  Ebay refused my appeal and told me to bring it to the USPS office and claim the item was damaged in shipping.  That is fraud.  The item was not damaged in shipping and explained that to ebay.  When I explained to the customer service lady that what she was asking me to do was a felony, she explained to me that I should try to get FedEx to handle the claim as they were the first to handle the item.  I am a responsible seller and have no issue refunding items.  I do have an issue with ebay customer service reps asking me to commit crimes.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: The day Ebay asked me to commit a felony!

How exactly is it a crime for a random CS rep from ebay to suggest that you open a  claim (USPS / Fedex?)      for an item a buyer claims was damaged?    And a felony no less?   

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Sorry, but from here it sounds like a bad pack-job. It happens and you need to follow the protocol. The tech rep was actually right.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Has the buyer admitted to breaking the item? If they have not, then how do you know for a fact that they broke it? What are they claiming happened to the item?

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

I'm amazed how many sellers think that because they "packed properly", nothing can happen to the item and it can't possibily arrive damaged.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

How do you know that the customer broke the item? Things are damaged in transit all the time. It's no felony to open a claim with the delivery provider.
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Why the hell is that a crime?
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

The CS did not want to deal with the fact and evidence that the item was broken by the buyer. They would rather ask me to commit fraud by telling the usps they broke it during shipping.
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Highly unlikely it would be broken in a cocoon of bubble wrap and double boxed. Ebay simply protects their buyers more then the sellers. I tried to follow protocol. The first time I contacted them I was told there wasn't a case pending. Fact was there was a case. Second time I called was to attempt to open a appeal. I was told to blame it on the usps or FedEx. I have sold items and refunded the money. I have no issue with following their protocol. What I do have an issue with is when I am told to lie to recieve a refund.
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

No he did not admit he broke it.  What he did say is that the item did not power on.  I have a picture of it powering on before and after return.  He did break the door and I assume that is why he returned it.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Usually if item is broken during shipping the box is damaged.  It was returned to me in the same packaging with no damage to the packaging.  

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@ross13078 wrote:
The CS did not want to deal with the fact and evidence that the item was broken by the buyer. They would rather ask me to commit fraud by telling the usps they broke it during shipping.

No, no,  no,  no,  no,  no.

Listen to me, think of it as a game because here is what you do:

@ross13078 wrote:

Ebay refused my appeal and told me to bring it to the USPS office and claim the item was damaged in shipping.

That is what they said you should do.

Right, so that is what you do.

- Learn how to play the game.  -

Do what they tell you, all you're doing is following rules.

No reason to play company CEO or national president, now you're just the $5/ hour guy.

Put on jeans and a t-shirt and socks and sneakers (read: dress CASUAL) and bring your item and head down to the post office.  Then, claim the item was damaged in shipping.

That is what the ebay folks said you should do.

That is what you are doing.

- Learn how to play the game. -

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Rule #1

1. EBay CS Rep's are less then knowledgeable (i.e. don’t trust what they say)

I have to ask though, if you have "no issue refunding items", why are you appealing a return AND talking to CS?

Also you return policy is "No Returns", so I think you do have an " issue refunding items". BTW, "No Returns" is your bet protection against fraudulent SNAD returns on eBay, so you are correct in having that policy. But I'm sure you already know that.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@phcd1 wrote:

Rule #1

1. EBay CS Rep's are less then knowledgeable (i.e. don’t trust what they say)

I have to ask though, if you have "no issue refunding items", why are you appealing a return AND talking to CS?

Also you return policy is "No Returns", so I think you do have an " issue refunding items". BTW, "No Returns" is your bet protection against fraudulent SNAD returns on eBay, so you are correct in having that policy. But I'm sure you already know that.

How would no returns be protection from a SNAD? That just gives a remorse buyer reason to damage an item to return it. I'd rather pay return shipping and get back an undamaged item if that would be fiscally sound.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 14 of 14
latest reply