cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop Using FedEX and UPS Labels Purchased Through Ebay To Ship Items!

I thought I would pass along a rare bit of candor I received while on Ebay's customer service hotline about the nature of certain shipping labels.

According to the third representative I spoke with while disputing an outrageous shipping overage charge from Fedex (and being ping ponged back and forth between their customer service and ebay's), ebay has no ability to guarantee the rate listed for shipping labels purchased through them will be what you are actually charged even if your dimensions and weight are exact, and due to the nature of post-paid labels you'll have no recourse for disputing the charges via UPS or Fedex as in this situation they are receiving their money through ebay as a contractor. You will not be reimbursed by either your chosen shipping service or ebay even if you have a receipt confirming the weight of your package except in the case of a one time courtesy credit which after expending will result in all future shipping disputes being automatically denied by the system (though most ebay service reps will perfunctorily stall you with the emptiest gesture by claiming a dispute has been opened and is now awaiting resolution, expressing gratitude for your patience and loyalty)

As I was recommended, always pay for shipping labels directly from a FedEx or UPS location if possible. The reduced rates may be enticing, but if some disgruntled employee at the postal service you're using decides to put their thumb on the scale while weighing your package at least you'll be protected having purchased directly from the shipping provider with a receipt.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Stop Using FedEX and UPS Labels Purchased Through Ebay To Ship Items!

If I have to ship via FedEx or UPS, I use my own FedEx or UPS account for their specific label.  That eliminates the middle person & if there are any issues FedEx & UPS would deal with me directly instead of going via ebay to deal with FedEx & UPS. 

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

As I was recommended, always pay for shipping labels directly from a FedEx or UPS location if possible...

This used to be an option, but unfortunately, the eBay negotiated rates are better and the overcharges do not occur often at all.  Lately, UPS has been acting up a few times in November and I know it is not right, but C'est La Vie, the most likely cause are additional delivery location and fuel surcharges tacked on (which are not in the estimated rate that you see).  Now the rates for FedEx are much better after eBay re-negotiate their rates down (and the fact that FedEx's stock collapsed because they charged too much in 2022).

It would be nice to see a breakdown when looking at the charged rate.  I get it, you see a lower UPS rate vs. the Pre-Paid USPS rate, and then UPS stiffs ya with a higher cost in the end.  Look at it this way, more to write off as an expense on your taxes, LOL.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

My most recent shipping via fedex will be my last - every time i use a fedex label i get charged more than the cost displayed when purchasing shipping with fedex. Last week when i dropped my package off at fedex,  I asked what the weight of my package was and  told 8 ounces less than i used when the label was purchased. I then asked if they could provide the dimensions, again, less than I used when the shipping was purchased. Then, how is it possible the final cost was more than the displayed cost when it was purchased?!?!? Today the shipping posted at $5 more than the purchase price - how is that possible? Fedex confirmed to me at drop-off my package measured less than what i used and weighted 8 ounces less. How does a seller even make a profit when the seller fees increase  and the shipping cost is unreliable? And never is the shipping less - i have actually received a credit from USPS when the shipping was less than i paid - that never happens with fedex. I demand an explanation from ebay why fedex always charges more than the purchase price!

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Shipping label adjustments | Seller Center - eBay

Pay close attention to DIM Weight (Dimensional Weight).

This is NOT the package’s weight on a scale, but a number reached by calculating the package’s height x length x width, divided by applicable carrier DIM divisor. Billable shipping is based on whichever cost is greater — the dimensional calculation or the actual scale weight of the package.

DIM weight reference guide

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Extremely close attention was paid. By any measure the adjustment was exorbitant and erroneous. The rate I was nearly charged was a ludicrous amount almost triple the quote. Sometimes disgruntled employees take their frustration out on customers, and going directly through FedEx or UPS offers better protection from such fraud than labels purchased through ebay for said services.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Yes, and many of the UPS offices in shopping centers are contract offices and are not staffed by actual UPS employees. So there's that also.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply