cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop Ripping Off Buyers and Yourselves with USPS Ground Advantage

USPS Ground Advantage is a scam. It does NOT cost $50 to $75 to ship an 8 pound box from California to New York. You can ship up to 70 pounds in a Priority Flat Rate box (multiple sizes) to anywhere in the continental U.S. for $20 max. UPS Simple Rate offers similar pricing.

You're killing your own sales and bottom line by using Ground Advantage, and you're ripping off buyers who aren't aware that you could be shipping far cheaper.

Message 1 of 45
latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

@erzengelb 

Except if that 8 pound item doesn't fit inside a USPS Priority Flat Rate box.

Ay, there's the rub.

And the USPS Priority Large Flat Rate boxes cost over $20.00, as of January 21, 2024.

Message 2 of 45
latest reply

@erzengelb wrote:

USPS Ground Advantage is a scam. It does NOT cost $50 to $75 to ship an 8 pound box from California to New York.

I have never paid anywhere near that, even to my farthest places.  Even shipping a 9lb laptop never costs me more than 12-15 dollars using GA.   Not sure why you are even seeing that price?  Is that retail at the USPS counter or something?  Is your box dimensions too large?

As long as you can fit your item into a PFR box, sure it can be cheaper.  I always compare my prices, and sometimes I might change to a PFR box if it will be to my advantage.

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 3 of 45
latest reply

What's wrong with USPS ground advantage? 

Message 4 of 45
latest reply

USPS Flat Rate costs $14.85 for a medium box, $20.05 for a large box, when you purchase the labels through eBay. Don't try to argue with me about this, I print out labels all the time.

Message 5 of 45
latest reply

It's too expensive, that's what's wrong with it. Sellers are charging $50 to $75 shipping for items that cost $20 or less to ship via any other shipping service (including USPS Ground, Economy, UPS Simple Rate, and Fedex). 

Message 6 of 45
latest reply

Also, the point is that people are using USPS Ground Advantage for merchandise that could easily fit inside flat rate boxes. And it's their own business they're killing.

Message 7 of 45
latest reply

There are certain categories of items that aren't allowed to be shipped by air. They must go GA. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 8 of 45
latest reply

9 out of 10 times ground is cheaper than priority.  i'm not sure why your getting so worked up about how sellers choose to ship their packages and what they charge for shipping. Maybe they have an item worth $60 and they charge $20 for the product and $40 for shipping.

Message 9 of 45
latest reply

Maybe the item is higher value.  Ground Advantage you get $100 insurance coverage.  I think Priority you get $50 insurance coverage.

Message 10 of 45
latest reply

Why are you concerned with other sellers  shipping habits?  If their buyers are happy, and get their items delivered without issue, that's all that should matter.  This site doesn't need a shipping czar on top of everything else.

Message 11 of 45
latest reply

@erzengelb wrote:

It's too expensive, that's what's wrong with it. Sellers are charging $50 to $75 shipping for items that cost $20 or less to ship via any other shipping service (including USPS Ground, Economy, UPS Simple Rate, and Fedex). 

So the problem is with what THE SELLERS !!!! are charging, not with Ground Advantage itself.

Message 12 of 45
latest reply

@erzengelb wrote:

Also, the point is that people are using USPS Ground Advantage for merchandise that could easily fit inside flat rate boxes. And it's their own business they're killing.

Most of what I sell does not fit inside any of the Flat Rate Boxes so that is not an option. And Ground Advantage has ALWAYS been cheaper than Priority Mail.

Message 13 of 45
latest reply

@erzengelb wrote:

USPS Flat Rate costs $14.85 for a medium box, $20.05 for a large box, when you purchase the labels through eBay. Don't try to argue with me about this, I print out labels all the time.

All generalizations are bad - even this one.

True, a medium FRB cost $14.85 Nevada to NY. But I can ship the same size and weight by Ground Advantage from Nevada to NY for $ 6.33 or by regular Priority Mail for $10.85.

FRB is RARELY the best buy. So who is ripping off whom?

Message 14 of 45
latest reply

@erzengelb 

"USPS Flat Rate costs $14.85 for a medium box, $20.05 for a large box, when you purchase the labels through eBay. Don't try to argue with me about this, I print out labels all the time."

Okay, don't believe me.  Will you believe the USPS site, then?

Large Flat Rate Box

$21.85 Commercial Pricing

$24.75 at Post Office

Message 15 of 45
latest reply