cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Source for Non-Standard Size Boxes?

Does anyone know where I can purchase single non-standard size boxes?

I am looking to ship an item that will require a 30" x 12" x 12" box. I located sources for this and other non-standard size boxes, but they are sold in packs of 10 to 25.  I only need one box for a one-off item that I am selling.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Source for Non-Standard Size Boxes?

Single boxes you'll likely have to purchase locally instead of online. Check your local office supply store or moving company.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

@smkerkt   Try Home Depot  OR  the Uhaul store.  

EDIT TO ADD:  That size of box is going to have a dimensional weight surcharge which will make it VERY expensive to ship.   

Personally, I'd only offer something that large as local pick up because I would not want to risk having to pay return shipping if the buyer filed a not as described refund request. 

I strongly suggest you do NOT use Fed Ex or UPS as the prices you are shown when you print the label are estimates only.  Ebay bills you on your monthly invoice with the price that Fed Ex or UPS determine to be the final cost after any surcharges they may add. 

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@smkerkt 

Make one.

get 2 15x12x12 and tape them together.

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Thanks. I will check some of the sources you recommended for boxes.

comics-scifi-collectibles said "That size of box is going to have a dimensional weight surcharge which will make it VERY expensive to ship." 

I checked the USPS postage estimator for a 30" x 12" x 12" package that weighs 5 pounds and got prices of ground shipping for $76.05; 2-day priority for $91.20. 

What am I doing wrong? I researched eBay for previous sales of my item, The Harbor Tug Boat Model Kit By Midwest Products # 956, and saw others had charged this much for shipping:

$10.90 - Expedited Shipping (USPS Priority Mail®)
$19.99 - Expedited Shipping (USPS Priority Mail®

$14.40 - Expedited Shipping (USPS Priority Mail®)

$16.46 - Expedited Shipping (USPS Priority Mail®)

$23.00 - Standard Shipping (FedEx Ground or FedEx Home Delivery®)

I wrote to one of the sellers and asked about where they got a box. I will have to write back and ask how they managed such a low shipping price.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

What are the dimensions of the product box?

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

The model kit box is 25.5” x 3.5” x 8.25”

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Then you definitely don't need a 30x12x12 shipping box. Keep it under a cubic foot. L x W x H = 1728 or less and you're ok to ship without the dimensional surcharges.

See what your local retailers have that's close to the product box size, adding an inch on each side for bubble/packing. Your best option might be cutting a larger box down to size. 

GLORIOUS!

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Oh - and when you get the box you probably want to cut it down and pre-pack without sealing to get an accurate weight for shipping. Once you have more experience under your belt you'll be able to skip that step.

GLORIOUS!

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Go to a local retail store and ask if they'll let you have some of the boxes their stock comes in. I work retail and I can get just about any shape/size box I want just by picking through the leftovers after we've unloaded and unpacked a truck. We're always happy to give boxes to people who want them for moving or storage because that means less for us to have to haul to the dumpsters!

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Thanks, everyone for the help. I think I was chasing an unattainable goal trying to match most of the previously sold kits shipping prices. Those exact same kits that had sold previously with the shipping prices below, must have had the shipping cost partially subsidized by the purchase price. I researched what shipping would be just shipping the kit in its original 25.5” x 3.5” x 8.25” box, and the lowest price was by FedEx $21.29.

$10.90 - Expedited Shipping (USPS Priority Mail®)
$19.99 - Expedited Shipping (USPS Priority Mail®

$14.40 - Expedited Shipping (USPS Priority Mail®)

$16.46 - Expedited Shipping (USPS Priority Mail®)

$23.00 - Standard Shipping (FedEx Ground or FedEx Home Delivery®)

Message 11 of 11
latest reply