cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So what's the point of "Guaranteed Delivery" if it's not guaranteed?

So I purchased an item and at the time it said it was guaranteed to be here on the 27th and when it shipped it changed to the 25th. I then looked up what guaranteed delivery meant and saw that it apparently meant that it's going to arrive on that day or you get either a shipping refund or a $5 off coupon and though "Cool not too bad. I'd rather my item instead of a $5 coupon though."

Then today I checked on my item and saw it was not too far away 'In Transit' and realized the likely hood of it arriving today was low. "Guess I'll be getting a $5 coupon at least but I'd really rather my item." I thought shortly but still held out hope. Around 4 hours later at 2PM the item 'Arrived at FedEx location' in the same place it was 'In Transit' and the Guaranteed Delivery changed from the 25th to the 27th. Then at around 6-7PM eBay realized the item wasn't arriving it too changed the Guaranteed Delivery to the 27th and "Report Late Delivery" it tells me there's still time left even though Fedex is now finished delivery packages...

So what's even the point of this if eBay can just change it to whatever day they want on the day it's suppose to arrive and avoid giving the coupon they said you'd get?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: So what's the point of "Guaranteed Delivery" if it's not guaranteed?

Update: They said that because the email states it will arrive on the 27th it is not late. Reported them to ReportFraud.ftc.gov

View Best Answer in original post

Message 10 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

That's a good question for an entity like the Federal Consumer Protection Agency.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

I don't understand how anybody can guarantee something like this. I have had at least 12 items that were very late within the last 2-3 months.  I knew that they would end up getting to my destination, so no worry.  I know my time frame to file an INR if needed. And no, I did not blame the sellers because they did ship within their time frame. 

eBay needs to take their "Guaranteed delivery" out of sellers listings.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Who said eBay isn't going to stand behind the original Guaranteed delivery dafe?

The original delivery date will change based on current information provided by the courier but the Guaranteed Delivery protections are still applicable based on the original date shown. If you run into an issue contact Customer Service.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Same thing happened to me; ordered item on 11/19 with guaranteed delivery on 11/25, I check on 11/24 and it changed to the 11/28 - still don't have the item as of 11/26. Personally, I don't mind it being late, but the fact that eBay guaranteed it with compensation and then just sneakily changed it is disgusting and flat out unethical. This might just be my last straw with eBay.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Can you please read message 4?

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Still though the fact you have to go out of your way to contact support, which the vast majority of people just can't be bothered and on top of it according to other users eBay customer support can just force open Return requests to mess with you if you do, is just wrong on so many levels. Yea I decided to wait until today and still says to wait so I'll be contacting their Live Support when they become available again.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Tell me about it

Mail right now is in many cases VERY slow and you do realize it is Thanksgiving  sand the post office is closed today

my two cents

To answer your question" guaranteed delivery "seems to pretty much a a nice fantasy eBay is promoting(or somebody is) there is no way to guarantee when the post office will be delivery your  packages

Due to health reasons i do a fair amount of buying here and since this whole horrible virus started in March 2020 these GD  mean very little 

many of my packages are arriving late

For now expect your packages will more then likely arrive late

I an sure the post office is doing their best in most cases 

Last bit of info is my understanding is that not all packages are getting scanned as every" stop" so tracking info may possibly be slightly off

But hey the $5 is nice

So if you need a certain item by a certain date you may want to support your   local B&M stores 

your item will come when it comes like it or not

Good luck

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

It's one of the worst  gimmicks of 2020. I chose not to opt in.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Update: They said that because the email states it will arrive on the 27th it is not late. Reported them to ReportFraud.ftc.gov

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Simply put, Marketing OPTICS.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

When discussing with eBay representatives the failure of eBay to issue a voucher for a missed guaranteed delivery, I found the behavior of those representatives duplicitous.  Like the arbitrary shifting of guaranteed delivery dates, that behavior is fundamentally dishonest.   

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@pum_fath wrote:

@pum_fath 

I'm confused. If the email states that it is not  late, what do you have to (and did you) report? And is eBay who  you would report? And most importantly, are you following through and satisfied? Did you get the $5 coupon?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm flummoxed. What frustration for a buyer to go through!

I thought the GDD was one of the worst gimmicks of 2020. Last question: Now do I know that it is?

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@pum_fath wrote:

So what's even the point of this if eBay can just change it to whatever day they want on the day it's suppose to arrive and avoid giving the coupon they said you'd get?

eBay Guaranteed Delivery @pum_fath is one of the easiest programs to exploit. Doesn't matter where the date moves, or if it changes to estimated instead:

2uds0guahdsdf9g8af8a0afg0h.jpg

At 8 AM the next day after the original eGD date, click More actions > Report late delivery and get your $5 vulture. It's yours to pet for 30 days, even after your item eventually arrives.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Looks like autocorrect was working overtime 😄

'Guaranteed delivery' is a pain in the okole for both buyers and sellers, not the least of which is ebay's failure to follow through on their promised 'inconvenience' vouchers.  It should be discontinued until COVID dies down and the mail service returns to some semblance of normal.

Coffee is my friend.

T&S Tool #10mm ratchet
Message 15 of 15
latest reply