cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I accept a return if it's beyond my return policy?

Hello, I sold a brand new iPhone with a 14 day return policy. About 45 days later I received an email from the buyer saying the phone was having issues. I was able to decline the return and of course the buyer left negative feedback. Would it have been courteous to accept the return since it might have been an issue with the phone itself or did I have the fair right to decline it? Would appreciate any thoughts since I'm no expert at selling! 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Should I accept a return if it's beyond my return policy?

45days is too long to contact. Even phone retailer in the real world ususally state 14 or 30 days. 45 days is plenty of time to use it and cause damage to it on your own if you are not cautious. Electronices burn in time really to see if everythign functions fine is about 5 days Max I think. Just respond to negative stating Buyer went way beyond retun time and had it for that long already. People will read and understand

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

You can absolutely decline since it's outside your return policy, AND outside Ebay's thirty day money back guarantee timeframe. Be advised that the buyer can open a Paypal case up to 180 days after the date of sale and you will have no choice but to accept, BUT the buyer will have to return it to you on their dime before you would refund.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Doesn't Paypal offer free returns now if activate the offer?  Seems it is up to 12 returns per year, up to $30 shipment reimbursement for each?

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/returns

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

45days is too long to contact. Even phone retailer in the real world ususally state 14 or 30 days. 45 days is plenty of time to use it and cause damage to it on your own if you are not cautious. Electronices burn in time really to see if everythign functions fine is about 5 days Max I think. Just respond to negative stating Buyer went way beyond retun time and had it for that long already. People will read and understand

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@b4b4b4b wrote:

Doesn't Paypal offer free returns now if activate the offer?  Seems it is up to 12 returns per year, up to $30 shipment reimbursement for each?

AFAIK you have to be signed up BEFORE any return is made.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

@b4b4b4b wrote:

AFAIK you have to be signed up BEFORE any return is made.

And its questionable as to whether or not it would cover every ebay purchase because of this exclusion, you can't use the service IF you "can benefit, or have already benefited, from another type of shipping returns refund service or guarantee with any third party." For a remorse return, I don't think PP would deny a refund but for an SNAD, that clause right there says you are ineligible....

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

How do I respond to the negative feedback so others can see it?

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Go to your feedback , click on seller feedback , scroll down, click on Respond to feedback link, add response to any feed backs you have received
Message 8 of 8
latest reply