cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping few items under one trackking number..

Hello, Customer bought 3 different items from my store at once. (I give free shipping) Can I send them in one packet under one tracking number?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Shipping few items under one trackking number..

@jetwingbroad wrote:

Hello, Customer bought 3 different items from my store at once. (I give free shipping) Can I send them in one packet under one tracking number?

Hey @jetwingbroad! While @frodobagginskennedy was able to use the same tracking number for two separate sales, that's not usually an option that will work. You should be able to combine shipping as they noted though, by selecting all sales you want to combine and then selecting the option to print a shipping label. That will then assign one tracking number to all items selected. If you start charging for shipping, you can go here to learn more about offering combined shipping.

Velvet,
eBay

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

yes. there should be a button to combine the items BEFORE you print the shipping label.

There was a thread last night where the seller could NOT find the combine button.  I had two international purchases that I was able to manually enter the SAME tracking number into the second sale without combining.

However the poster last night tried this and was NOT able to manually enter the same tracking number into the second sale.

It appears different abilities for different sellers which is par for E bay.

This quest stands on the edge of a blade...stray but a little and you shall fail to the ruin of us all.
"The Lady Galadriel"
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

@jetwingbroad wrote:

Hey @jetwingbroad! While @frodobagginskennedy was able to use the same tracking number for two separate sales, that's not usually an option that will work. You should be able to combine shipping as they noted though, by selecting all sales you want to combine and then selecting the option to print a shipping label. That will then assign one tracking number to all items selected. If you start charging for shipping, you can go here to learn more about offering combined shipping.

Velvet,
eBay
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

velvet@ebay wrote:

@jetwingbroad wrote:

Hey @jetwingbroad! While @frodobagginskennedy was able to use the same tracking number for two separate sales, that's not usually an option that will work.

velvet@ebay : What??? Of course you can combine separate sales into one package with the same tracking number (assuming it's to the same buyer and same Ship To: address, of course). I do that on average about once every couple of weeks.

I just pack the combined box, and pick one item in the set (I usually select the highest-value item) for the Shipping label, updating the package dimensions and weight as needed for the combined shipment. After the label has been purchased, I go back to each of the other Sold items, mark each as Shipped, and then add the tracking number to each. (This is all handled via the Actions menu for each item.)

I must be missing something here. Why would it not be possible to combine separate purchases from the same buyer and going to the same address?

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Dear Velvet, thank you very much for the solution 👍

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@a_c_green hey thanks for the detailed answer 👍👍👍

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

1. Go to your awaiting shipment page :https://www.ebay.com/sh/ord/?filter=status:AWAITING_SHIPMENT
2. Select the items you want to combine, then click print shipping label from the drop down menu. This will show all your items together as one package with one tracking number.
3. Make your weight adjustments so you can print the label with the correct postage.
4. Print your label.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

velvet@ebay wrote:

@jetwingbroad wrote:

Hey @jetwingbroad! While @frodobagginskennedy was able to use the same tracking number for two separate sales, that's not usually an option that will work.

velvet@ebay : What??? Of course you can combine separate sales into one package with the same tracking number (assuming it's to the same buyer and same Ship To: address, of course). I do that on average about once every couple of weeks.

I just pack the combined box, and pick one item in the set (I usually select the highest-value item) for the Shipping label, updating the package dimensions and weight as needed for the combined shipment. After the label has been purchased, I go back to each of the other Sold items, mark each as Shipped, and then add the tracking number to each. (This is all handled via the Actions menu for each item.)

I must be missing something here. Why would it not be possible to combine separate purchases from the same buyer and going to the same address?

Apologies for any confusion @a_c_green. I wasn't saying you can't combine ship. This is definitely allowed. There is an easier process though, and one that will guarantee the tracking number is assigned to all sales  for the buyer.  You check the boxes to the left of the sales you want to combine, then purchase the label. This ties them all together and will automatically add the same tracking number to all of the sales. @southern*sweet*tea broke the steps down nicely here

I'm not sure how you're continually able to buy one label for one sale and then add that same tracking number to other sales, regardless of it being the same buyer. Usually a seller is blocked when they attempt to do that. I would encourage you to start combining shipping at the time of label purchase so you don't risk running into an issue where the number isn't assigned to the other sales and you risk being out the item and/or funds due to Item Not Received claims for the sales that don't get a tracking number assigned to them.

Velvet,
eBay
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

"I'm not sure how you're continually able to buy one label for one sale and then add that same tracking number to other sales, regardless of it being the same buyer. Usually a seller is blocked when they attempt to do that. "

You manually mark the other items as "shipped" and then copy/paste the tracking number in. The system definitely allows you to enter a tracking number outside of using the eBay shipping label service. Thats how I did it for decades.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

velvet@ebay wrote:

I'm not sure how you're continually able to buy one label for one sale and then add that same tracking number to other sales, regardless of it being the same buyer. Usually a seller is blocked when they attempt to do that. I would encourage you to start combining shipping at the time of label purchase so you don't risk running into an issue where the number isn't assigned to the other sales and you risk being out the item and/or funds due to Item Not Received claims for the sales that don't get a tracking number assigned to them.

The Actions menu for each item on the Sold page (i.e. the "Manage all orders" page on the Seller Hub) offers explicit options to mark the item as Shipped and to add a tracking number as well. I do not see a way to combine separately-paid items on that page before buying a label, though from what I am reading in the other replies above, it sounds like that pre-purchase combining is an option on the bulk shipping page (wherever that may be). 

For times when the buyer has bought all items with one payment, presumably via the Shopping Cart (e.g. my recent order number 14-07583-94538 for three auction wins combined, if you're able to see that), the order is handed to me as one shipment with all three items already put together.

Otherwise, if the sale items are listed separately on my Sold Items page, I don't see any other way of combining them aside from what I have described. The Action items of the pulldown menu for each ("Mark as shipped" followed by "Add tracking number") are pretty self-explanatory and work fine. They seem to address two needs, actually: to upload Shipping info for an item that was shipped over the counter at the post office or elsewhere, or to add Shipping info for an item that was shipped with one or more other items through eBay.

I never had a problem with combining shipments this way; it's working perfectly fine. The only reasons I can think of for why the system might disallow it could be differences in Ship To: address (even a difference in punctuation could be considered a mismatch) or a purchase from either a different buyer ID or perhaps a different funding source.

I cannot see any reason to disallow the addition of shipping info from one item to another when they are a combined shipment, and in years of selling here I have never encountered a problem doing so.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

velvet@ebay wrote:

The Actions menu for each item on the Sold page (i.e. the "Manage all orders" page on the Seller Hub) offers explicit options to mark the item as Shipped and to add a tracking number as well. I do not see a way to combine separately-paid items on that page before buying a label, though from what I am reading in the other replies above, it sounds like that pre-purchase combining is an option on the bulk shipping page (wherever that may be). 

For times when the buyer has bought all items with one payment, presumably via the Shopping Cart (e.g. my recent order number 14-07583-94538 for three auction wins combined, if you're able to see that), the order is handed to me as one shipment with all three items already put together.

Otherwise, if the sale items are listed separately on my Sold Items page, I don't see any other way of combining them aside from what I have described. The Action items of the pulldown menu for each ("Mark as shipped" followed by "Add tracking number") are pretty self-explanatory and work fine. They seem to address two needs, actually: to upload Shipping info for an item that was shipped over the counter at the post office or elsewhere, or to add Shipping info for an item that was shipped with one or more other items through eBay.

I never had a problem with combining shipments this way; it's working perfectly fine. The only reasons I can think of for why the system might disallow it could be differences in Ship To: address (even a difference in punctuation could be considered a mismatch) or a purchase from either a different buyer ID or perhaps a different funding source.

I cannot see any reason to disallow the addition of shipping info from one item to another when they are a combined shipment, and in years of selling here I have never encountered a problem doing so

@a_c_green I'm in your Awaiting shipment section of the Seller Hub and while you only have one item to ship right now, you can see the box to the left of it that I've checked in the screen shot below. If you have multiple sales that you want to combine, you would check the corresponding boxes and then click the Shipping box dropdown menu to, "Purchase shipping label". 

velvetebay_0-1631722254243.png

It's not normal to be able to assign the same tracking number to "separate" sales because a seller could then assign one tracking number to multiple sales. That's not honest and they would most likely be found out with Item Not Received claims being opened against them, but none-the-less, it's why a seller can usually only enter it once per individual sale.

I would still recommend you combine them using the steps that have been mentioned previously and if you're seeing something different when you go to print a label, it may be helpful to contact Customer Support to get to the bottom of why you're unable to print a label for combined orders.  

Velvet,
eBay
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

velvet@ebay wrote:

@a_c_green I'm in your Awaiting shipment section of the Seller Hub and while you only have one item to ship right now, you can see the box to the left of it that I've checked in the screen shot below. If you have multiple sales that you want to combine, you would check the corresponding boxes and then click the Shipping box dropdown menu to, "Purchase shipping label". 

Okay, I'll give that a try the next time I have multiple sales to the same buyer.

velvet@ebay wrote:
It's not normal to be able to assign the same tracking number to "separate" sales  

Um, of course it is. The number is tracking the shipment, not the sale(s). (In addition, the sales have already occurred. We can't go back to the buyer and demand that he re-purchase them together just so that we can put them in the same box. That would be silly.)

velvet@ebay wrote:
because a seller could then assign one tracking number to multiple sales.

Well, yes. That is, after all, the whole point of a combined shipment: you are indicating which items are in which package.

velvet@ebay wrote:
That's not honest and they would most likely be found out with Item Not Received claims being opened against them, but none-the-less, it's why a seller can usually only enter it once per individual sale.

"[N]ot honest"??? I cannot fathom how honesty is coming into this, nor how an Item Not Received dispute would result by using one method vs. the other. Consider that we are simply talking about the raw process of how to assign a tracking number to a combined shipment of items via the eBay menus. The end result is the same in tracking terms, regardless of how the combining is achieved: one tracking number assigned to two or more sales going to the same buyer at the same address.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply