cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping costs VS Actual Cost

Why is it when I paid for an item shipping costs almost as much as the item itself,

but when I recieved the item shipping was much much less.

example for my product, shipping cost was 12 dollars

when I recieved it in the mail it was 3.35 cents, he was supposed to send it expedited he didn't I recieved it 5 days after payment as well.

so I paid inflated shipping costs for a service he didn't pay for is this allowed if not whats the next step?

I already contacted the seller to reimburse me the difference in shipping costs but I'd like to learn more about this going forward.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

The product cost has nothing to do with the shipping cost, which is based on weight, dimensions and distance.

However, a seller is NOT permitted to downgrade the service to First Class or Parcel Select and still charge for Priority Mail. Charging more than actual postage is OK, but not changing the class of mail to a lesser service.

Your seller should refund the overcharge if the package was not labeled Priority Mail.

~~C~~
My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

As mentioned, the shipping & handling and price of the item are not related.  Of course, neither is amount paid to the carrier and the amount charged by the seller.  Postage or the amount the seller pays the carrier is only a portion of the cost involved.

Of course, you have every right to expect the seller to use the shipping method stated in the listing.  However, expedited shipping doesn't necessarily translate into getting the item faster.

You are the one who must decide if seller S&H is at a level you are comfortable with, but the time to do it is before placing the order. 

How did the seller ship the item? First Class, Priority Mail, etc.?

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@roodypoo28 wrote:

Why is it when I paid for an item shipping costs almost as much as the item itself,

but when I recieved the item shipping was much much less.

example for my product, shipping cost was 12 dollars

when I recieved it in the mail it was 3.35 cents, he was supposed to send it expedited he didn't I recieved it 5 days after payment as well.

so I paid inflated shipping costs for a service he didn't pay for is this allowed if not whats the next step?

I already contacted the seller to reimburse me the difference in shipping costs but I'd like to learn more about this going forward.

5 days is hardly something to complain about. The seller isn't required to charge the exact cost of postage. And according to heidi the ebay employee who responds here, the seller is not required to ship using the method specified in the listing, they can choose whatever method they think is appropriate (I don't agree with that). Ebay does not have a system in place to resolve this kind of issue either. If the seller did not ship using the method specified in the listing, you would have to file a dispute with paypal.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Many sellers are being forced to charge extra for shipping, to help cover the cost of return shipping by dishonest buyers and outright scammers abusing eBay's return and money back garauntee policies.  eBay knows that buyers are being ripped off and continues to refuse to do anything about it, other than to claim its just a part of doing business.  With that being the case, the costs are being passed on to the buyer, as it always is.

If you believe a seller is charging too much for shipping, after considering all the cost involved for a seller to ship an item, then DON'T BUY THE ITEM!  If you buy an item, you are agreeing to pay both the price and the shipping.  You do realize that eBay takes 10% of the shipping price right?  That PayPal takes another 3%+?  That shipping materials are not free?  That getting the item to the shipper is not free?  That attempting to protect a buisness against dishonest and scamming buyers is not free?

Complaining about the shipping charge after the purchase and demanding a partial refund, is a very selfish act.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply