cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping cost quotes ALWAYS too low

I have noticed that the price I am quoted using the shipping calculator pre-sale is ALWAYS significantly lower than the price I am quoted when shipping post-sale. Nothing has changed: I am always entering the correct size and weight of the package when using the caclulator.

The discrepancy is also true when the buyer pays shipping. The price ebay quotes them is always lower than the price I am asked to pay post-sale, WITHOUT changing anything about the packaging as when I listed it.

Attached is an example. The price quoted when listing was $2.26 for any destination. When I went to ship, the price I had to pay was $3.18.

Today, I sold an item with buyer-paid shipping. Ebay collected $1.63 for USPS First Class Package, which was the only option I offered. I had to pay $2.66 when purchasing shipping. NOTHING changed - i weighed the item before listing, with packaging, and did not change it.

What is wrong here? I have a hard time believing ebay has such a massive systemic error or fraud, so am I doing something wrong? This happens on literally every single sale.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Shipping cost quotes ALWAYS too low

They shouldn't.  It's a problem for many.

You selected First Class Package Service, so the package type shouldn't impact the rates in reality.

If you selected First Class Mail and large envelope, then it would be correct.

alan@ebay

Any way you can pass this along to the Shipping Team?  This is an ongoing issue and it's clearly a mistake on eBay's shipping label platform.  If seller selects FCPackage Service, it should calculate for that service's rate, and not another service (First Class Mail).  They are two distinct, different services provided by USPS.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

@jamietre wrote:

I have noticed that the price I am quoted using the shipping calculator pre-sale is ALWAYS significantly lower than the price I am quoted ... What is wrong here? I have a hard time believing ebay has such a massive systemic error or fraud, so am I doing something wrong? ...

There are two drop-down menus when you set up the shipping calculator: Service, and Package type.  Apparently your "Package type" has been set to "Large envelope" rather than to package.   Even when the "Service" has been set to First Class Package, the "Package type" selection will override that so your buyers are charged the price for a   Large envelope (AKA flat) rather than for a package.

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

I'm confused. In both of these examples, I am actually shipping using large envelopes. That's what I select when getting the quote, and I don't change anything when I go to buy the postage later.

Maybe I didn't notice that eBay changed it to a package when I went to buy the postage or something? That doesn't seem very likely. I'll certainly pay close attention when I go to ship next time, but why would it change anything from everything I selected when making the listing?

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

.... or are you saying that the prices quoted for First Class Package aren't actually valid for a large envelope?

Why would they offer them?
Message 4 of 21
latest reply

OK I think I understand now

https://pe.usps.com/businessmail101?ViewName=Flats

A "large envelope" cannot be more than 3/4" thick. So when I've put in the dimensions correctly (e.g. my envelope is 1 or 1.5" thick) at purchase time, I'm getting the package rate.

This is really stupid. Why would eBay offer that rate when I've correctly entered the dimensions of my package?
Message 5 of 21
latest reply

They shouldn't.  It's a problem for many.

You selected First Class Package Service, so the package type shouldn't impact the rates in reality.

If you selected First Class Mail and large envelope, then it would be correct.

alan@ebay

Any way you can pass this along to the Shipping Team?  This is an ongoing issue and it's clearly a mistake on eBay's shipping label platform.  If seller selects FCPackage Service, it should calculate for that service's rate, and not another service (First Class Mail).  They are two distinct, different services provided by USPS.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

@jamietre wrote:

I'm confused. In both of these examples, I am actually shipping using large envelopes. That's what I select when getting the quote, and I don't change anything when I go to buy the postage later.

Maybe I didn't notice that eBay changed it to a package when I went to buy the postage or something? ...

eBay does not offer labels for letters or flats, only for packages, probably because they want buyers to have tracking.

In the label preparation form, the dimensions affect the postage cost for your packages only when they incur a surcharge (balloon, dimensions, or oversize).

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

OK, so whatever the reason, this rate being offered for "first class package" when I've selected "large envelope" is not valid.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for helping clear this up: I just need to select "package" rather than "large envelope" when creating shipping estimates.

This must be confusing to literally millions of casual ebay sellers. I hope they can correct the form so you don't get offered rate options pre-sale that aren't actually valid.

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Are you shipping packages?

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

I am shipping what I thought were "large envelopes": something in a thick, padded envelope. I entered the dimensions accurately. I think I am actually shipping what is technically referred to as a "package" but anyone who doesn't do this on a regular basis would have no idea that a "large envelope" can't be more than 3/4" thick, and the calculator certainly should know this.

This problem is solved; I need to select "package".

But ebay's shipping calculator incorrectly offers rates that aren't valid for the package dimensions that I've entered when making estimates. It's perfectly capable of figuring out the correct cost when I go to actually purchase the postage, so it should be capable of figuring this out when making the estimate in advance. All the information is available and unchanged.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

How thick are your envelopes?

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

@sam9876 wrote:

How thick are your envelopes?

Post 5

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

Sam - I appreciate your trying to help me, but I've already answered all these questions in this thread, and it's already been confirmed by @lintbrush that this is a known problem. The envelopes are 1" - 2' thick. They are more than the 3/4" which is the limit of the USPS for a "thick envelope." 

The point is, if I enter dimensions that exceed the limit for "thick envelope" then the calculator should not offer me rates for "thick envelope."

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

@jamietre wrote:

Sam - I appreciate your trying to help me, but I've already answered all these questions in this thread, and it's already been confirmed by @lintbrush that this is a known problem. The envelopes are 1" - 2' thick. They are more than the 3/4" which is the limit of the USPS for a "thick envelope." 

The point is, if I enter dimensions that exceed the limit for "thick envelope" then the calculator should not offer me rates for "thick envelope."

That is not the reason for the posts.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

OK, you got me. I'll bite.

Why are you asking me these questions?
Message 15 of 21
latest reply