cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping cost 3x higher estimated what can I do?

I posted a book to sell for $15 with a $4 estimated shipping cost. I have shipped items WAY larger but for some reason, the shipping cost was $11 at USPS. What the heck?! Will eBay notify the buyer or do I just accept this loss? I've entered the tracking number and its too late since it's already shipped. Can't believe the cost was so high for just a book. What are the best postal services to use and is there any way to get a better shipping cost in the future? Super disappointed that I even shipped the item but I didn't want to disappoint the buyer 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

You have to just accept the loss.  It is your responsibility to set up the listing with the correct price for shipping, and you can't make the buyer pay for your mistake.  

You listed the manual with a $4 flat rate for First Class shipping.  The weight limit for First Class packages is 15.99 ounces online and 13 ounces if you purchase postage at the Post Office.  Sounds like you ended up needing to ship it via Priority Mail.

For future reference, most books including manuals can be sent economically via Media Mail:

https://liteblue.usps.gov/news/link/2013/04apr/Media-Mail-Guidelines.htm

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

It would be useful if you told us the weight of the package. Also, when you say "at USPS" do you mean purchasing the label at the counter? By doing so you get retail prices which are higher then printing labels thru ebay or other label providers.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

What was the weight of your package? Was it 16 oz or more?

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Did you get confused and use priority instead on media mail? 

That's how you mail books for a low cost. Media mail using your own packaging. Do not use free boxes at post office or any box that says priority

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

As pooh333piglet alluded to, media mail is the best for books that don't have ads...textbooks, literatures, etc fit into this category.

he/him/guy/dude...you get the picture
Message 6 of 6
latest reply