cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping Way Off!

Good morning! I have been on eBay a long time. Over the course of this time I have had more than a few instances where it appears that the shipping calculator was off. I have always reported this to eBay and I was told that they have received other reports about this.

I just sold a four car train set to someone in Texas. When I saw the amount they paid I nearly fell off of my stool! It is a UPS package weighing 10 pounds and they paid $56.40 for ground shipping! When I printed the label it was only around $15. I don't recall the exact amount. There is absolutely no way that I would have made that huge of an error in my listing!

I contacted eBay this morning and reported this. But I don't think the rep thought they were wrong. She kept telling me to check out the shipping for sellers information and make certain that I have the weight and size correct.

Has anyone else been having these issues?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Shipping Way Off!

The shipping quotes for your package are based on USPS Parcel Select Ground shipping, with a shipping weight of 32 pounds  (maximum of scale weight and dimensional weight) to zone 5 ... a dimensional weight of 32 pounds might be a box that is 12x18x24  (12x18x24/166 = 32 pounds).

For that size package, UPS would be cheaper but probably more around $35-40 for that a 32 pound (shipping weight) package.

My guess is that you have a typo in your listing, and the actual package dimensions are much smaller than you specified in your listing ... or you didn't enter in the correct dimensions when you purchased the shipping label.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Shipping Way Off!

If that were the case wouldn't the shipping label reflect that? When I opened it to print the dimensions were exactly as I had entered them and the shipping weight was 11 pounds.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Shipping Way Off!

@curlys_house 

What are the dimensions of the package (that you see specified in your listing)?

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Shipping Way Off!

It was 12" by 18" by 6".

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Shipping Way Off!

@curlys_house wrote:

It was 12" by 18" by 6".

@curlys_house 

I guess what I'm asking is ... if you edit the listing, or select "sell similar" from the sold listing, is it showing 12x18x6 or something else?

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Shipping Way Off!

I'll have to look at it.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Shipping Way Off!

@curlys_house wrote:

... It is a UPS package weighing 10 pounds and they paid $56.40 for ground shipping! When I printed the label it was only around $15. ...

Has anyone else been having these issues?

Yes, several years ago I stopped using the calculated shipping and just went to the middle cost for flat rate

Others have stated no problems with calculated shipping, so if it was fixed after I stopped using it, I wouldn't know

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Shipping Way Off!

Well, that's interesting. It shows 24 by 18 by 12. That's not what I put in there.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Shipping Way Off!

@curlys_house wrote:

Well, that's interesting. It shows 24 by 18 by 12. That's not what I put in there.

However it got in there ... that's why the shipping was showing up that high.  Mystery solved. 🙂

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Shipping Way Off!

You know, with this new listing procedure, I have noticed some other things that keep managing to sneak in despite my NOT setting it up that way. You have to be really careful and check your listing after you create it.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply