cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller using slower shipping

Hey. I recently bought an item that was not competitively priced but had free priority USPS shipping. The seller then shipped First Class. I messaged them then they said they use the most economical method. I feel cheated since I know the shipping cost is built into item price. What reason can I use for returns for this bait and switch?

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

First class really isn’t Slower.  Worst case, it is one day, but, effectively, there is no difference.

First Class is only for items under a certain weight.  Once it passes that weight, it goes priority.  The seller probably put on “priority” not knowing how much the item would weigh, once packaged.

Message 2 of 32
latest reply

I see your point but I don't think that's the case. They've sold 37 separately. Other sellers had it at first class 10% cheaper.  I thought ebay had a policy on using the advertised shipping method at the least

Message 3 of 32
latest reply

For me, it wouldn’t rise to the level of even an annoyance.  I understand your frustration- you thought you were getting a premium service.  

Message 4 of 32
latest reply

As a seller with free shipping the price is not built into item price. 

I see no bait and switch here.

Who can say using different shipping methods would result in item being faster or slower?

If you read some of the others here on this platform you will see buyers having problems with some stuff arriving at expected time frame late. I notice on my mailing not doing registered mail to a country will arrive quicker than registered mail. Sometimes regular mail can be quicker. 

It also has to do with weight and length of item. And also where item is mailed and shipped too.

Mailing a package to Chicago can sit for weeks vs. first class.

Sellers usually have an idea best way to ship something.

Message 5 of 32
latest reply

"What reason can I use for returns for this bait and switch?"

Hardly bait and switch, thats buying one advertised item and being shipped an item of lesser value.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 6 of 32
latest reply

What is the item and approx weight? 

Message 7 of 32
latest reply

The item was a single stud earring. The package has 3oz postage. It arrived within ebay time frame but took 7 days as first class. 

I find it hard to believe that a seller doesn't build shipping in item price...especially when they price higher with an upgraded shipping. 

Anyway seems like I've landed on seller side of things here.  I've reached out to the individual seller... we shall see

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

I am a mail carrier, I haven't been selling on eBay since covid hit because work has been so heavy (my area delivers Amazon).

I would also have shipped this FCP as lumping such a small package with larger heavier packages is just asking for it to get lost. FCP and Priority take pretty much the same time for delivery.

Message 9 of 32
latest reply

Enough with the bad information. First class is a 4-5 day shipping service as stated by both USPS and eBay and is NOT considered expedited. Priority mail is a 2-3 day shipping service and IS considered an expedited shipping service. To any sellers stating otherwise, you are either misinformed, lying, and/or greedy while trying to save $1 to $4 on shipping. You CANNOT advertise an expedited shipping service as part of the price and then switch to a non-expedited shipping service. This cheats the customer.  

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

Priority Mail items are First Class Mail items weighing more than 13 oz.  (Less than 16 oz using online labels.)

Message 11 of 32
latest reply

**Had to make a slight correction to my last post but the edit button timed out**

First class is advertised as a 2-5 day shipping service as stated by both USPS and eBay and is NOT considered expedited. However, note that the 2-3 day shipping periods for First class almost always apply to local or regional shipments only. So really, most First class shipments are going to be in the 4-5 day range. On the other hand, Priority mail is a 2-3 day shipping service no matter where is it being shipped and IS considered an expedited shipping service. Sometimes Priority can arrive in 1 day if local or regional.

To any sellers stating otherwise, you are either misinformed, lying, and/or greedy while trying to save $1 to $4 on shipping. You CANNOT advertise an expedited shipping service as part of the price and then switch to a non-expedited shipping service. This cheats the customer. 

Message 12 of 32
latest reply

What difference does it make how it was shipped as long as it arrived by the expected date? Why look for problems? Bored?

Message 13 of 32
latest reply

I had a customer at the end of August who purchased two separate orders.   I offer free shipping on all my listings.  The first order I was able to get into a medium Priority box and was less expensive than shipping USPS Parcel.  Later in the day they purchased something else and since I had already packaged and purchased the label for the first package, the second order was shipped USPS Parcel Select which was as listed.   I messaged the buyer to let them know that they would be receiving two packages and one would probably arrive before the other because I used Priority on one of them.   Took both of them to the post office at the same time and the buyer received both packages 3 days later at the same time.   Priority is not always faster than USPS Parcel. 

Message 14 of 32
latest reply

That is false. First class can take up to 5 days to arrive depending on a recipients proximity to the shipper. Priority mail shipments are capped at 3 days. They are NOT the same service with the only difference being weight. They are different services. One is expedited and one is a non-expedited method. 

For example, I just placed an order on Monday on another account. The order, because the seller had expedited shipping stated in the listing, gave me a delivery day of Thursday or Friday. However, the seller chose to ship the item using First Class yesterday instead of Priority. Now, I will not receive the item until Tuesday. Had the seller followed the rules and used Priority, I would have received the item Friday or Saturday at the latest. The issue with me is I purchased the item for business purposes and needed it this week. But, the seller wanted to save a buck or two so I'm ****** because the seller THOUGHT it was ok. It is not ok. 

Message 15 of 32
latest reply