cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller uses Buyer pays return shipping for new items and used items

I have been charged Twice/ now 3 times despite using the buyer's pay return shipping. Twice for selling used items but I'm very knowledgeable in both areas. 1 item is a 17-year-old product that is known to be used outside on a regular basis, the item was still in really good working condition + was explained well enough to understand that it wasn't a new it was 17 years old. 2nd was a laptop that was done really well and I put a password on it with directions on using it, but this person decided that a password on it was crazy and returned it. I thought nothing of it till 30 days later and I'm paying for the return shipping despite the buyer pays return shipping. One person told me that I paid for Ebays customer experience policy. Instead of the person who is buying used items doesn't have any reasonable idea on how to buy something used online, to begin with. 3rd I bought a new item with the buyer pays return shipping, but this person sends me the wrong item and costs me a week's work/ can't go to work without this item + he doesn't even have the real one to send me he just wants me to cancel the return and he will refund the money. Now they have me paying for the return on top of his mistake with selling this new box Item. These three things have cost me more than $100. What's wrong here? Why can't a billion-dollar business get good enough insurance so that they don't put the problems of their business on the backs of hard-working people customers?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

If I understand you correctly, the first two items were used items that you sold that the buyers had issues with.  If they filed a claim as "not as described", you are responsible for the shipping cost to get the items back regardless of what your return terms are.   Selling used items, especially electronics and the like, is tricky; as an example, something might be working okay when you have it but can be thrown around during shipping and not work upon arrival.   Also, on the laptop,  you should have included in the description that you were putting a password on it and including instructions on using it and if you did not put that information in the description, I can see why a buyer might be unhappy about it.   Not everyone is "electronics-savvy" and something like that would be frustrating to me too. 

Then, the third item was something you bought that the seller sent the wrong thing.  Did you file a "not as described" claim?  (It's not as described because you did not receive what you ordered.) The seller should have sent you a return label (at his expense) and issued you a full refund upon return of the item.   You should not have "canceled the return" as he asked and you should not have had to pay for the return of the item.   

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Thank you so much for explaining this. I had received a chargeback for returned shipping on an item though I have the buyer pay return shipping and didn't understand why. 

Message 3 of 3
latest reply