cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller Accuses me of stealing, intends to refuse return

I recently returned a package to a seller as it really wasn't what I was expecting based on the description, for one. I used his free 30 day returns policy. Before the package has even arrived at his home, he has accused me numerous times of taking some of the items out and stealing them from him before sending it back.

In addition, he has cursed at me numerous times, suggested he hopes that I will get scammed like I allegedly am doing to him, and at the same time has said he will go around looking for people to take advantage of, which to me seems like a thinly veiled threat that he is going to try to sabotage my store. I should have known I was in for it when I paid $50 for priority mail and he instead chose to ship fedex ground (which he had as an option for about $25) less, and then got super aggravated when I suggest he either ship priority or refund me what I paid for priority over fedex. Apparently, there's a special place in hell for me because I returned an item that didn't live up to the description he oversold it with. unamused

I've already talked to eBay and they said based on his communication and pre-emptive accusations, and that I have an account in good standing, this will work out well for me no matter what he does. But now the seller's message (at least the dozenth today) included this, and I am concerned:

"I hope to GOD that you purchased INSURANCE like I did when I sent it to you. If it gets damaged I will refuse the package and it will be sent back to you. If it gets damaged and you purchased insurance, you will have to file a claim. It would really suck if it gets damaged and you did not insure the package. Surely, anyone with a half a brain would have purchased insurance for a $600 package. But, there are people out there who don't think. BTW..the return label you printed does NOT include insurance.... you need to purchase that separately. If it comes back damaged, my appeal will also state that b/c it would not be in the same condition as I sent it."

This seller has already declared that he will file an appeal for stealing from him, even though he doesn't have the package yet. So I wouldn't put it past him to lie and declare the package is damaged even if it isn't. What will that mean for me? Can he really have it sent back? And should I have bought insurance?

Message 1 of 59
latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

@lex-talon wrote:

@admiralmotti89 wrote:

Seller relisted the item after responding to my (still present) feedback with the assertion that I stole cards. It's funny, when he relisted, he stated that it is being listed just as he bought it, even though in the return he claimed I stole cards and the rest got some damage on the way back. laughing

He also put at the top in all caps: "THIS IS BEING RE-LISTED BECAUSE OF A NON PAYING BIDDER!   IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO PAY, DO NOT BUY.  ALSO, NO BIDDERS FROM <my state> WILL BE ALLOWED TO BID.  SORRY, BUT A FEW PEOPLE IN <my state> HAVE RUINED IT FOR ALL PEOPLE IN <my state>.  IF YOU ARE FROM <my state> AND BID, YOUR BID WILL BE CANCELLED."   

Ebay has been known to warn sellers about discouraging buyer's from purchasing items. That threat he wrote is ridiculous. 

Sounds reportable to me.

Message 46 of 59
latest reply

Hilarious! Let us know what he says. I'm betting it will be all caps. The guy probably doesn't realize that people can see his feedback, his theft claim, and the item associated with it, but that it's allegedly just as he bought it.
He's the same guy that has a Power of the Jedi Carbon Chamber, new and sealed, with this gem in the description:

"RETURNS: EBAY IS FORCING SELLERS TO CHOOSE 'FREE RETURNS' OR THEY WILL REMOVE THEIR FINAL VALUE FEE DISCOUNT AND LOWER MY LISTING IN THE SEARCH. FOR MY AUCTIONS, BUYER PAYS FOR RETURN SHIPPING UNLESS ITEM IS NOT AS DESCRIBED. IF YOU CHANGE YOUR MIND, IT DOESN'T FIT, BUYERS REMORSE, ETC...BUYER PAYS FOR RETURN SHIPPING. IF I STILL HAVE TO PAY FOR RETURN SHIPPING, WHEN I GET IT BACK I WILL DEDUCT THE ORIGINAL SHIPPING FROM THE REFUND AND ALSO DEDUCT A 10% RE-STOCKING FEE. THE LISTING HAS 'FREE RETURNS' BUT I HAVE TO DO THAT TO GET MY FEE DISCOUNT. THIS DISCLAIMER OVER-RULES THE EBAY 'FREE RETURNS'.

THERE IS A 10% RE-STOCKING FEE ON ALL RETURNS OTHER THAN NOT AS DESCRIBED."

Message 47 of 59
latest reply

I give a seller maybe 2 lines to provide their TOS.  Any more than that I assume they are making up stories like this guy and hit the back button.

Message 48 of 59
latest reply

brian@ebay 

Can you take a look at these listings please? Why isn’t there a way to report stuff like this? The OPs seller is so inappropriate. Sorry to tag you again but we appreciate you. Thank you Brian. 

@admiralmotti89 

An eBay employee will likely get in touch with you. I tagged Brian but it might be another employee that contacts you. If you co operate they can probably do something about this. I found the listings and they are so inappropriate, I can’t stand it.

Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 49 of 59
latest reply

Thanks, I'll keep my eyes open. There's a lot that's over the top, but claiming I stole from a listing while at the same time claiming the listing is unadulterated is pretty wild.

Message 50 of 59
latest reply

@mg152 wrote:

brian@ebay 

Can you take a look at these listings please? Why isn’t there a way to report stuff like this? The OPs seller is so inappropriate. Sorry to tag you again but we appreciate you. Thank you Brian. 

@admiralmotti89 

An eBay employee will likely get in touch with you. I tagged Brian but it might be another employee that contacts you. If you co operate they can probably do something about this. I found the listings and they are so inappropriate, I can’t stand it.

Hi @mg152, I found these items and have reported them. Thanks for letting me know Smiley Happy

Brian,
Community Team
Message 51 of 59
latest reply

Thank you so much! 😀
Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 52 of 59
latest reply

@admiralmotti89 wrote:

Hilarious! Let us know what he says. I'm betting it will be all caps. The guy probably doesn't realize that people can see his feedback, his theft claim, and the item associated with it, but that it's allegedly just as he bought it.

I asked about the relisting:

Hi, which is box of cards is missing? Thanks, let me know.

> [deleted]
> He DID steal a box of cards! Ebay refunded him...I did not. Ebay reported him

> [deleted]

Photo in the original listing:

The reply:

It was a smaller blue box like the 2 in the bottom right corner. There were 3 originally, but only 2 were sent back.

Photo in the relisting:

Now I could say: Wasn't the third smaller blue box already missing before the lot was sold the first time? But no, I tire, so I will disengage.

Message 53 of 59
latest reply

Lol, there were only 2 as far as I can recall. In any case, you could ask him if he could change the claim that they are being sold just as he bought them. laughing

That fellow is very tiring, to be sure.

Message 54 of 59
latest reply

Speaking of other ID's when a user who currently has 100% of his bids in the last 30 days be on this seller's item that he is relisting, is that suspicious?

Message 55 of 59
latest reply

@admiralmotti89 wrote:

Speaking of other ID's when a user who currently has 100% of his bids in the last 30 days be on this seller's item that he is relisting, is that suspicious?

It is to me, but someone else will come in and tell you there is nothing suspicious at all and that the other ID just knows where to get a good deal to relist.

Shrugs.

Message 56 of 59
latest reply

It appears the biggest protection we have as buyers or sellers is to use tracking and insurance (signature on some) and RECORD yourself sealing the items in the box at the post office and handing off to USPS or whatever service you use or opening them when received from carrier. It is a shame that people have become so money hungry that Ebay and Craigslist has become a circus of scams. As a consumer or small business person against big companies like Ebay, Paypal or Craigslist, we all know who gets the shaft. It flows downhill to us and they aren't going to chase the criminal, its easier to take your money since you are legit and already commited. Keep ALL your messages until the item has been confirmed received (including via the buyer) and all money has cleared. You want a clear paper trail if needed for evidence. Always assume you will need evidence and you can't go wrong. 

I just had a customer last night message me about how he was going to leave negative feedback and a hostile message about having to pay shipping ($3) on a $5 box of Mucinex. It appeared that Ebay put my item as free shipping (according to him) but then in my back office asked for the shipping price and made it appear that it was not. And then he was acting very impatient when it was listed as standard shipping anyway and you bid three days ago knowing the auction ended three days later, now he wants me to get all in a hurry because he is sick and was too cheap and/or lazy to take his behind to Walmart or any drugstore near him for that matter and pay the $11.97+ for it there. Why? Because everyone wants something for as close to nothing as they can get even if it means taking the sandwich from your mouth! I ALREADY sold it for less than half retail and now you want me to ship it you for free?! Should I wipe your nose too was my thought but I killed him with kindness. AND recorded putting that $5 box of Mucinex into the package just in case. After offering to remove the shipping and even gave an additional discount to offset his tax he had the nerve to write back "well im not a cheapskate".  *face palm* 

What have we learned?

1. Keep ALL communications and preferably do them through Ebay messaging until item is confirmed delivered (including by buyer). I send a message after item is confirmed delivered by USPS and ask if they received it and if they are having any issues or have questions.

2. RECORD the items you put into the box (at the carrier just before sealing) and take to the counter (all in one single stream video)

3. ALWAYS use tracking and when necessary insurance and signature to keep the carrier accountable as well. If USPS loses your package and you don't have that, Paypal and Ebay aren't going to take that loss and USPS isn't either. 

Message 57 of 59
latest reply

@ftmn-36 wrote:

It appears the biggest protection we have as buyers or sellers is to use tracking and insurance (signature on some) and RECORD yourself sealing the items in the box at the post office and handing off to USPS or whatever service you use or opening them when received from carrier. It is a shame that people have become so money hungry that Ebay and Craigslist has become a circus of scams. As a consumer or small business person against big companies like Ebay, Paypal or Craigslist, we all know who gets the shaft. It flows downhill to us and they aren't going to chase the criminal, its easier to take your money since you are legit and already commited. Keep ALL your messages until the item has been confirmed received (including via the buyer) and all money has cleared. You want a clear paper trail if needed for evidence. Always assume you will need evidence and you can't go wrong. 

I just had a customer last night message me about how he was going to leave negative feedback and a hostile message about having to pay shipping ($3) on a $5 box of Mucinex. It appeared that Ebay put my item as free shipping (according to him) but then in my back office asked for the shipping price and made it appear that it was not. And then he was acting very impatient when it was listed as standard shipping anyway and you bid three days ago knowing the auction ended three days later, now he wants me to get all in a hurry because he is sick and was too cheap and/or lazy to take his behind to Walmart or any drugstore near him for that matter and pay the $11.97+ for it there. Why? Because everyone wants something for as close to nothing as they can get even if it means taking the sandwich from your mouth! I ALREADY sold it for less than half retail and now you want me to ship it you for free?! Should I wipe your nose too was my thought but I killed him with kindness. AND recorded putting that $5 box of Mucinex into the package just in case. After offering to remove the shipping and even gave an additional discount to offset his tax he had the nerve to write back "well im not a cheapskate".  *face palm* 

What have we learned?

1. Keep ALL communications and preferably do them through Ebay messaging until item is confirmed delivered (including by buyer). I send a message after item is confirmed delivered by USPS and ask if they received it and if they are having any issues or have questions.

2. RECORD the items you put into the box (at the carrier just before sealing) and take to the counter (all in one single stream video)

3. ALWAYS use tracking and when necessary insurance and signature to keep the carrier accountable as well. If USPS loses your package and you don't have that, Paypal and Ebay aren't going to take that loss and USPS isn't either. 

1. Recording you putting it into the box will do NOTHING, eBay will not accept that as proof of anything.
  2. Your buyer engaged in feedback extortion and if they left you a negative, it would most likely be removeable
  3. Your buyer needs to be reported as a bad buyer.
  4. I probably would have just cancelled the sale using problem with address or wait two days and open an unpaid item report.
  5. You rewarded a bad buyer who will just pull this on another seller since he was rewarded.
  6. In order for insurance to be of any use, you need the buyer's cooperation.

We have more to learn

Message 58 of 59
latest reply

He's baaaaaack.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Huge-lot-1000-STAR-WARS-Cards-CCG-BULK-DEALER-Death-Star-II-Endor-Reflectio...

And I know it's the same guy since he's referred to this other username before.

Message 59 of 59
latest reply