cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scammer? What to do?

Recently I had someone purchase 3 of the same game from me. I thought that it was a little odd because people generally only purchase one game to play on their system. I proceded to send the item out with two tracking numbers because it was cheaper for me in terms of shipping. A few day passes by and both items showed up to the house as delivered by USPS. However I get a message a day later that the buyer only received one package with 1 of the games in it. I told the buyer to wait until Saturday (yesterday) to see if the package arrives. If not, I would refund them for the two items. I proceded to send them the refund through paypal at around 5pst for the two item because the buyer said it never came.

My refund to the buyer went into pending status because an e-check had to be used as I had no funds in my account. A few hours later the buyer opened a case against me. Is this a new scam or something? My echeck to the seller clears on the 15th. The eBay case wants me to respond and I assume hand out a refund on the 14th as the last day for the case. Is eBay going to give the buyer a second refund or something now?  What do I do?

I've already reported the buyer to eBay as well responded to the case they open. I also blocked the buyer from buying here again. Is there anything else I can do?

Oh yea I thought this buyer was weird because they have private feedback. I'm not sure if they are a scammer or if they like to buy NSFW items. Secondly they tried to get me to send another 2 games to them to make 5 items instead of 3. I said no, although I'm guessing they would probably have opened a case against me again anyways if I sent two more saying it was lost.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Scammer? What to do?

Why would you refund a package where the scan shows as delivered?

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

What you should have done was tell the buyer that tracking showed the item as delivered so he should check with his post office to see where that 2nd package was. 

2nd~~You should have downloaded the tracking number to the case he opened showing he did receive 2 packages.  You should have never agreed to a refund since you could prove through tracking that he did receive two packages and not the one only as he is claiming.

You sold him 3 items though and combined shipping on 2 of the 3 by shipping 2 in the same package.  With all the scams going on these days I don't combine shipping.  If a buyer buys 3 items~~they get 3 packages with 3 tracking numbers.  My account is more important to me than making points with a "could be" scammer by saving him money.  If I saved HIM money on shipping by shipping 3 items in 1 package I would only be able to prove I sent one item if that was what he could claim~~he would win a case if he claimed he never received all 3.  That's why I don't combine shipping.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I have to agree with you on this one. It's a business, not a social club..

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

That makes sense I suppose. But wouldn't a scammer just not go to the post office and simply claim a problem with the post office? Or that the package was stolen or something?Also I sent the item in two packages because it would have saved ME money. 

Anyways what should I do now? You mentioned what I should have done.

Honestly this was part of the reason I left eBay. Too many scammers here. I was trying to be nice and end this quickly regardless if this was a scammer or not, but it seems like they want to go for a scam on top of the fact that I tried to compensate for what was potentially a non-problem.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

If you have entered the tracking number for the disputed item that shows 'delivered' in the Resolution Console, there is nothing more to do.

But since you have already refunded, there is no way to get that money back unless the buyer offers to repay.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Once tracking shows it as delivered you are in the clear.  If it gets stolen that's on the buyer for not having a safe place for the delivery.  If it got delivered to the wrong address that's between the buyer and his post office.

If you had free shipping on the 3 items, the buyer already paid for shipping so you have no business trying to save YOURSELF money.  If you charged shipping you have no business trying to save YOURSELF money.  Even with free shipping, the shipping was included in the price the buyer paid.  If you want to combine shipping, give the buyer a discount instead of pocketing the money yourself.

By not having 3 tracking numbers you lost 2/3 of your sale already.  Was it worth "saving YOURSELF money"?  You didn't gain anything~~you lost it.

I don't know if it will work but maybe you can still load the 2 tracking numbers into the case to prove delivery and go to pay pal and cancel your refund you issued to the buyer.  Then let ebay make a decision from there.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@crusading_angel wrote:

Recently I had someone purchase 3 of the same game from me. I thought that it was a little odd because people generally only purchase one game to play on their system. I proceded to send the item out with two tracking numbers because it was cheaper for me in terms of shipping. A few day passes by and both items showed up to the house as delivered by USPS. However I get a message a day later that the buyer only received one package with 1 of the games in it. I told the buyer to wait until Saturday (yesterday) to see if the package arrives. If not, I would refund them for the two items.

Why would you refund when your Delivery Confirmation on the tracking shows a Delivered status on both shipments? That is, after all, the whole point of having Delivery Confirmation.

On a side note, just out of curiosity: why did you send one item by itself and the other two combined? Was that cheaper in total than putting all three in one package?

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Why did you refund when tracking information showed that both packages were delivered? Were you not aware that Seller Protection covers you as long as tracking shows that the package was delivered to the buyer's zip code?

If you had just let the buyer file the Item Not Received dispute and responded to it with the relevant tracking numbers, eBay would have closed the dispute in your favor and you would have no obligation to refund out of your own pocket. eBay might have given the buyer a courtesty refund, but that comes out of their pocket.

It seems to me that the bottom line is that you are allowing yourself to be scammed because you didn't make use of the protection that eBay and PayPal give sellers. They don't do a huge amount to protect sellers, but what they do would have covered you in this case.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

I can actually see why someone would purchase multibles of the same game this time of year, they may have neices and nephews to buy for.

What I don't understand is you agreeing to refund when you have delivery scans. My guess is you shipped them FCP and 3 would have exceeded the max weight. I would have replied 1 unit shiped with the tracking number XXXXXXXXXXXX as you can see the weight was 6 ounces. The other 2 units shipped with the tracking number YYYYYYYYYYY and the weight was 12 ounces. BOTH packages show delivered in the mailbox on XX/XX/XXXX at Y:YY am.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply