cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scammed on eBay - Tracking Number Faked

Here is how I got scammed and why I am saying goodbye to eBay.

- Bought item on eBay.

- Package shows delivered. No package anywhere to be found.

- Contact seller and they assure me it was delivered. 

- Contact UPS with tracking number, they say the package was delivered but not to my name or address. They also mentioned that the tracking number is originated from Amazon. UPS can't provide any further assistance, recommend I contact Seller. 

- Contact seller again and now they won't respond. 

- Open Case with eBay. eBay reviews and closes case since the tracking number shows it was delivered to the same City/State. From here I can't do anything. eBay won't let me open another case. 

- Went to sellers profile to see negative reviews that this has happened over 40 times just this month. 

- Searched for related issues and see people all over eBay are getting this same scam and eBay has not been helping. 

At this point, I'm not sure what to do. Does eBay have no way to stop this scam? Their customer base is going to continue to dwindle if nothing is done. 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Scammed on eBay - Tracking Number Faked

You need to get something in writing from ups ups saying this item wasn't shipped to your address. Then you need to file an appeal. 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Thanks for the response! When I try and file an appeal, eBay closes it immediately saying the tracking number shows it was delivered. Have you had any luck with UPS providing documentation?
UPS doesn't like to give out detailed information, they do confirm with me that it is not my name/address associated with the tracking number. Which I understand why UPS wouldn't want to give out detailed information to just anyone calling in on a tracking number.
I was hoping eBay would be able to compare my order shipping info to what the tracking shows, or at least call UPS to confirm that they do not match.
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@bottelman75 wrote:
Thanks for the response! When I try and file an appeal, eBay closes it immediately saying the tracking number shows it was delivered. Have you had any luck with UPS providing documentation?
UPS doesn't like to give out detailed information, they do confirm with me that it is not my name/address associated with the tracking number. Which I understand why UPS wouldn't want to give out detailed information to just anyone calling in on a tracking number.
I was hoping eBay would be able to compare my order shipping info to what the tracking shows, or at least call UPS to confirm that they do not match.

Ebay isn't going to do leg work on finding it.  You aren't asking ups for any personal information to be provided. Just tell them that the tracking number is associated with something you purchased and you need some kind of documentation showing it wasn't shipped to your address   doesn't have to say where it was shipped.  If you already appealed I'm not sure you can appeal again.  But you can email eBay or contact them on Facebook to see if appealing is still an option

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Looks like a compromised account. You will need to talk to CS as eBay's robots are blind.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I sent out an email to UPS explaining the situation and asking for proof. 

Any appeal is automatically closed. I'll try and send them an email when I receive proof from UPS. 

Thanks for the advice! 

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@bottelman75 wrote:

I sent out an email to UPS explaining the situation and asking for proof. 

Any appeal is automatically closed. I'll try and send them an email when I receive proof from UPS. 

Thanks for the advice! 

@bottelman75 

All you need from UPS is a document on their letterhead that states the item was not delivered to your address.  It does NOT need to include the actual delivery address.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 7 of 7
latest reply