cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCAN Form doesnt add "Acceptance" scans for packages anymore

I use a SCAN acceptance form for all the items that i ship out daily so that the person at the post office that i drop my packages off with every day can just scan one thing, and all my packages will be updated with a scan acceptance to prove to ebay that i shipped them on time HOWEVER lately most of my packages are no longer getting acceptance scans anymore. As of about a month or so ago they  show "SHIPMENT RECEIVED ACCEPTANCE PENDING" (what is the difference between received and acceptance anyway??!) and then some packages (not all of them) will get an "ORIGIN ACCEPTANCE" event added to their tracking - but not for a day or 2 later (with the same location listed as the scan form event which show as "SHIPMENT RECEIVED ACCEPTANCE PENDING". What gives? Do i need to stop using scan forms and make the post office scan each package individually as accepted to make sure i can prove i shipped my items on time in case they arrive late? I dont understand why a scan form wouldnt just show as "accepted" for the scan event?! Is it possible that the post office is entering the scan form incorrectly via the pos why the scan event says ""SHIPMENT RECEIVED ACCEPTANCE PENDING" rather than "accepted"? HELP!!! I dont know what i should do/how to fix this problem before its too late and my seller level is affected by this. Im also getting a ton of ppl messaging me asking if i had even shipped their orders yet - turns out even though they were sent on 11/24 they havent received any updated scans on them yet - when i track them the tracking shows "Tracking number provided" then it shows "SHIPMENT RECEIVED ACCEPTANCE PENDING" then after that is shows "SHIPPING LBL CREATED USPS AWAITS ITEM". **bleep**??! i have about 10 orders where this is the only tracking events - awesome, thanks usps!

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: SCAN Form doesnt add "Acceptance" scans for packages anymore

I'd have them scan them all. If they complain, ask to see their supervisor. Someone is not doing their job. 

I have used the scan sheet for months and months. 

Mine get the same SHIPMENT RECEIVED ACCEPTANCE PENDING and then an acceptance scan that really takes place at the sorting center. - after midnight sometimes, but it's there.

So far it has had no affect on my metrics.

There are a lot of packages not being scanned beyond the acceptance scan...until it gets delivered.   That is not caused by the scan sheet, but by the USPS system itself.

Some Post Offices, dealing with long lines, have set a number of packages (with prepaid postage) per person that they will scan ( ie scan 5 - get back in line).   Although I personally think the people (like I encountered today) who bring their items to the PO in plastic bags and want the clerks to do everything for them take up more time than it does to scan 20 or 30 packages.   Or the people who don't use prepaid postage and bring in 20 items that need to be weighed.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@postcardcountry wrote:

I have used the scan sheet for months and months. 

Mine get the same SHIPMENT RECEIVED ACCEPTANCE PENDING and then an acceptance scan that really takes place at the sorting center. - after midnight sometimes, but it's there.

So far it has had no affect on my metrics.

Just to clarify what several folks have noticed... The SCAN form is a list of packages that should be in the batch being submitted, but at that point in the process, the USPS has not (or cannot) verify that it's correct, and that every listed package is present (or, for that matter, that there aren't extra packages in the shipment that don't appear on the SCAN sheet).

Thus the Acceptance is "pending" at that moment, and will remain pending until each package has a direct scan of its own further down the line. (The SCAN sheet can be considered an "indirect" scan, similar to the container scans that report when a package leaves one location or arrives at the next. They're not directly scanning the package; they're scanning the container or truck in which it is assumed to be carried.)

If the package is not scanned in the local PO, it will get scanned when the truck reaches the regional sorting office. That will trigger an "Accepted at origin sort" entry in its tracking history, and the location shown for that particular scan will be the town of its origination, not the location of the sort facility. Routine tracking scans will follow from there on. 

Yes, tracking can be really spotty when looking at hand-held scans that carriers are supposed to be doing, but the intermediate ones at sorting facilities along the way are done by automated machinery. A package that somehow escapes all scans up until delivery most likely has an illegible bar code on the label, and when the carrier finds that his scanner can't read it at delivery, he keys in the number manually.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply