cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Returns Can Get You Banned

There was an interesting article in the Wall Street Journal today about Amazon banning buyers for life for too many returns.  It says that many online companies are loosing so much money that they are starting to ban buyers with a habit of frequent returns.  While it doesn't say how much is too much, one person was banned for 5 returns.  ebay should take notice!

I'll post the article link:

www.wsj.com/articles/banned-from-amazon-the-shoppers-who-make-too-many-returns-1526981401?mod=search...

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Returns Can Get You Banned

Paywalled.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Should and will are two totally different sales policy concepts, unfortunately.

Ebay ban buyers? For returns? Not in this lifetime...

Also, because individual sellers can individually block bidders, thus creating an artificial "ban", most likely ebay will consider that the sufficient equivalent, which it clearly isn't.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Walmart, home depot, and many other brick stores have been doing that for years.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Yes, I remember hearing about that probably about three years ago or so.

I found one reference from a 2013 article in USA Today:

"Many buyers aren't aware that some returns, with and without receipts, are being monitored at stores that outsource that information to a third-party company, which creates a "return profile" that catalogs and analyzes the customer's returns at the store."

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I had to ban my late mother many years ago.  She never bought anything that she didn't return at least once or twice!  I was embarrased to go into stores with her.  When she got too old to drive herself, I refused to take returns to the post office for her.  I'm still selling some of those things here on ebay!

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Not a new concept at all here is an article about Nordstrom's over 1 year ago.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/2-billion-of-retail-fraud-could-be-ruining-nordstroms-legendary-retu...

Message 7 of 7
latest reply