cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Returns, Buyer Remorse and restocking fees

We sell electronics, this category is unforgiving and has a minimal margin when a product has been opened and used, so we must charge a restocking fee.

Over the last month, as eBay updates the returns and develops what they feel is "Amazon" like (i.e. trying to provide free returns to customers) they have apparently caused issues with how returns are being handled by their system. I have now have had at least 5 Buyer Remorse returns in which the restocking fee is missing.

When asking them for clarification to verify that we as the seller are protected against their web development error, was left with a very "wordy" reply that basically states no.

Safe to assume that we are not the only company impacted by this.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Returns, Buyer Remorse and restocking fees

Most buyers remorse returns are opened as SNAD returns so the buyer doesn't have to pay return shipping nor any restocking fees. Are you sure they opened up a buyers remorse return? Most buyers are on to this and abuse the return system. This is especially true in electronics.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

eBay did announce that they are not allowing restocking fees if the seller offers free returns.  I assume you are not doing this.  Sounds to me like this is intentional to not allow restocking fees under any circumstances.  If I were you I would consider this when you decide how much to charge for your items, and cover your losses with your other sales.  This is a tough problem.  If there are particular items that get returned more than others, you might consider not selling them at all. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Correct, we do not offer free returns. From what I've read this is only if you use the Guaranteed Delivery program, which we are not using. International has never shown the restocking fee but we do not have too many of those as returns.

Most of the returns are because buyers do not do the proper research before buying a camera or a lens to determine if the product is the right fit. Then they choose the option that skirts the restocking fee. eBay knows this and is aware of buyers abusing the program, not sure how much they do about it, so we take steps to reduce this.

However the issues is the technical glitch, we've always had the restocking fee option. From my understanding it's due to the updates they are doing for this free returns program, just wish the development team would test the changes before they actually make them.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@samyscamerainc wrote:

...Most of the returns are because buyers do not do the proper research before buying a camera or a lens to determine if the product is the right fit. Then they choose the option that skirts the restocking fee. eBay knows this and is aware of buyers abusing the program, not sure how much they do about it, so we take steps to reduce this....

Sounds like you're getting SNAD returns (as I suspected). With a SNAD return, the seller pays return shipping and cannot charge a restocking fee. There is no way to reduce this except to offer "No Returns" and fight every return with eBay (which in my experience takes about 10 phones calls and 2 hour hours of time for every return). If you have ANY return policy, eBay expects you to take the return, even if you can prove the buyer has opened a fraudulent SNAD return just to avoid restocking fees or return shipping charges. I'm not really sure what you mean by you "take steps to reduce this" unless your doing as I stated above a fight every return.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

No, I'm referring to Buyer Remorse only, we understrand the SNAD and handle those as we should. Currently if a buyer opens a return "Buyer Remorse" reason, the restocking fee is not showing. It's a glitch in their system becuase they are updating their returns pages to reflect the upcoming changes.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

You should simply stop offering returns. It only leads to trouble and lost revenue. Most buyers won't even notice that fact until after they purchase anyway.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Deduct the total amount of incorrectly refunded restocking fees from you eBay seller fees invoice payment and tell eBay it's a glitch
Message 8 of 8
latest reply