cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return shipping costs when buyer changes mind

Have been selling on eBay for years and thankfully have had very few buyers request refunds for "changed mind". I recently sold a new in opened box item with free shipping. 11 days after item was received, buyer requested return because "changed mind"--apparently buyer wanted the product in a different finish.

The purchase price was around $40, shipping to the buyer was around $15. Return shipping would cost me $15. I messaged the buyer informing them that their refund would be $25--the purchase price less the return shipping cost--that way the buyer and seller would share the total shipping cost.

Is there an easy way to include the verbiage "buyer to pay return postage if buyer changes mind"? Is there a way for ebay to include this rule/option when we offer "free returns"? If l include this verbiage in the product description would it be enforceable or would I be better off just clicking the option "no returns" and lose the seller benefits of having "free returns".

For small volume sellers this "free returns" for buyers changing their minds really eats into the net sales amount, I really don't understand why eBay offers the "changed my mind" as a reason to return an item.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Return shipping costs when buyer changes mind

@hockeycub 

Hey I get your frustration as we see it all of the time!  You are not alone.  It is often a shock when returns happen.  Yeah, no one likes the reasons eBay gives buyers for returns and the ways buyers can and do abuse the system.

Now that said, I'd like to offer a different perspective on this.  I doubt you came here to see this, but hopefully it can help in the long run?  Please don't shoot the messenger? 😇

But hey, I know where you are coming from!  I use to be against returns and even fought them a few times. Got run over by the Money Back Guarantee (MBG) too - OUCH!  Then I had a hissy fit all over these boards and kind posters knocked the stubborn out of me, and believe me, it took a while! 😱

Anyway, what I eventually "got" was that returns are part of retail selling and as such I needed to have a plan in place to manage them!   So here is what I learned and now do:

• each sale gets "taxed" 5% and the funds set aside as self insurance or a Cookie Jar fund
  • I never assume any money from a sale is "mine" to spend or keep until after the MBG expires (31-days after delivery)
  • When "returns happen" I have funds set aside to pay for the shipping and the refund
  • When some looks like they are scamming, I have stuff in place to try to quell that
  • When fraud happens, I have a procedure in place to be made whole.

I think the shock for me was the fear of returns, shock when they happened and little idea of what to do.   Once I got plans in place it was easier.  When returns happen, now I just work the plan, which makes it just an annoyance and not a panic or sick feeling.  But of course the first step for me was accepting that returns happen an I had to have a plan in place.

Anyway, got a bit off topic here.  Wish you well in your future sales!

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

@hockeycub wrote:

For small volume sellers this "free returns" for buyers changing their minds really eats into the net sales amount

If you accept returns, buyer can return for any reason

Since you offer free returns, you have to eat the return charge.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I opened a few of the sellers sold listings and didn't see any with free returns.   If it was a listing with free returns and I didn't see that particular one then what the you've said applies.  

Op if it is one of your buyer pays return shipping the buyer should be paying return shipping costs.  But you cannot deduct original shipping since you had free shipping.  

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

@hockeycub 

Hey I get your frustration as we see it all of the time!  You are not alone.  It is often a shock when returns happen.  Yeah, no one likes the reasons eBay gives buyers for returns and the ways buyers can and do abuse the system.

Now that said, I'd like to offer a different perspective on this.  I doubt you came here to see this, but hopefully it can help in the long run?  Please don't shoot the messenger? 😇

But hey, I know where you are coming from!  I use to be against returns and even fought them a few times. Got run over by the Money Back Guarantee (MBG) too - OUCH!  Then I had a hissy fit all over these boards and kind posters knocked the stubborn out of me, and believe me, it took a while! 😱

Anyway, what I eventually "got" was that returns are part of retail selling and as such I needed to have a plan in place to manage them!   So here is what I learned and now do:

• each sale gets "taxed" 5% and the funds set aside as self insurance or a Cookie Jar fund
  • I never assume any money from a sale is "mine" to spend or keep until after the MBG expires (31-days after delivery)
  • When "returns happen" I have funds set aside to pay for the shipping and the refund
  • When some looks like they are scamming, I have stuff in place to try to quell that
  • When fraud happens, I have a procedure in place to be made whole.

I think the shock for me was the fear of returns, shock when they happened and little idea of what to do.   Once I got plans in place it was easier.  When returns happen, now I just work the plan, which makes it just an annoyance and not a panic or sick feeling.  But of course the first step for me was accepting that returns happen an I had to have a plan in place.

Anyway, got a bit off topic here.  Wish you well in your future sales!

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

"Is there an easy way to include the verbiage "buyer to pay return postage if buyer changes mind"? Is there a way for ebay to include this rule/option when we offer "free returns"?"

No, there is not. Charging a buyer for returns is not free returns. If you intend to ever make the buyer pay for the return postage (one way or another) then you must not check off free returns.  Checking off free returns means that the seller pays for the return postage regardless of the reason.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@myangelandmyprincess wrote:

I opened a few of the sellers sold listings and didn't see any with free returns.   If it was a listing with free returns and I didn't see that particular one then what the you've said applies.  

Op if it is one of your buyer pays return shipping the buyer should be paying return shipping costs.  But you cannot deduct original shipping since you had free shipping.  

A search of their completed listings with   "Free returns" checked off got 181 results:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw&_armrs=1&_from&_ipg&LH_Complete=1&_ssn=hockeycub&rt=nc&LH_FR=1&...

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@myangelandmyprincess wrote:

A search of their completed listings with   "Free returns" checked off got 181 results:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw&_armrs=1&_from&_ipg&LH_Complete=1&_ssn=hockeycub&rt=nc&LH_FR=1&...

I couldn't find a way to do only free returns from the phone. Returns but not free ones.  But based on completed listings with returns it's a low percentage that has free returns.  

So yeah if it's one with free returns the op will have to pay return shipping and issue a full refund. If it's not free returns the buyer will pay return shipping but the seller still has to refund in full including original shipping since it was free 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

When I un-check free returns, I get 182 results.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. Although I am still annoyed by "changed my mind" because a buyer decided that they wanted to have a different finish on their item, I have come to accept the reality of things.

It really doesn't make financial sense for me to buy return postage for the item, so I will be contacting the buyer and see if they are amenable to keep the item and receive a full refund. If I pay for return postage, there is little to no margin if I sell it to a different buyer and pay postage a third time.

Stepping back from this I have only had 2-3 returns for "buyer changed mind" over the past year, so I need to consider this a part of doing business. However the other returns were for lighter items so the shipping cost was not that painful.

Again thank you for your comments!

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

I see Free 30-Day Returns on your listings, too. If you offer free returns, then they're free for your buyer... for any reason. Revisit your Returns policy... a workaround that I'd recommend is to offer 30-Day (Buyer Paid) Returns (to keep paying for return shipping on true remorse claims) instead of Free 30-Day Returns.

Since you offer Free Returns, you already have the ability to also reduce the amount of the refund by up to 50% if any item is returned to you in a different/de-valued condition than when shipped. But... as a TRS  (as you are) you get the same seller protection with 30-Day (Buyer Paid) Returns. I use the latter... it works for me.

So you'd have nothing to lose, in my opinion. Good luck in however you proceed.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply