cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return policy "deprecated" and "unsupported." Does anyone understand what this means?

I am getting little flags at relisting time which say that on ALL of my listings (all 1400 of them) the returns policy is "deprecated." Does anyone know what this means? It does not seem to have any effect as I relist things. I also have a message that some 85 of my listings have  an "unsupported" returns policy. Opening one up, I see that it has my standard domestic return period of 14 days and the seller pays for the return. (I very, very rarely get returns. A couple times a year. If this happens, I work it out with the customer. If I sent them the wrong thing, I first send them what they actually ordered, then try to arrange for the resturn of the wrong one.) I could not find anything that seemed to require a change. No idea what "unsupported" means. The link provided in the message contained no useful information. It did say that any "unsupported" items will not be automatically relisted.  I guess that means that the listing of "until cancelled" doesn't apply anymore and what few of those I have will have to be changed to 30-day listings, which I will then manually relist every month. Otherwise I can only ignore all this.

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Return policy "deprecated" and "unsupported." Does anyone understand what t

You basically answered your own question. 14 day returns are no longer offered and must be changed to either 30 or 60.

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

"Deprecated" means whoever wrote the notice needs a better thesaurus.

But it refers to old listings that have a 14 day Return Policy, a Restocking Fee, and/or additional Return Policy details.

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

@couldabeenworse wrote:

"Deprecated" means whoever wrote the notice needs a better thesaurus.

LOL, agreed.

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

If 30 return policy is now a must, why am I still able to selct 14 day return?

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

@delmax wrote:

If 30 return policy is now a must, why am I still able to selct 14 day return?

I'm guessing your items are in one of the exempt gategories.  From the Spring Update:

"Certain product categories have unique retail standards and sellers will be able to offer variations on the new returns policy options. Categories that will continue have the option to offer 14-day returns include Collectibles & Art, Cameras & Photo and Medical, Mobility & Disability Equipment."

OR, it could just be programming hasn't caught up yet.

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

NVM - couldabeenworse provided the correct answer

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

How can we get a message to eBay about seller concerns regarding this new policy for delicate/rare/antique/audiophile items? A lot of damage can happen in 30 days.
Message 8 of 23
latest reply

Read post #6. As stated in that post, collectibles and art can still benefit from 14-day returns.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

Save yourself a lot of confusion and hassle by reading over the new simplified returns policy. https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2018-spring/simplified-returns.html

The categories that are allowed to have 14 day returns are listed there. It explains how you lose your top rated plus seal if you don't offer 30 or 60 day free returns. (even if you are in one of the categories allowed 14 day returns). eBay changed a lot of stuff.

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

https://www.quora.com/What-does-a-deprecated-policy-mean

"Deprecated” is often encountered in information technology-related fields. In operating systems, programming and database languages and even some complex applications, many possible causes can cause the instantiation of an idea to be reconsidered. What seemed useful at one time is discovered to be cumbersome or restricting, as additional features and requirements change the product over time.

It is largely a given that software changes over time. Things rarely exist entirely alone, but are used by and referenced by other things customers or users may build, themselves. When something is deprecated, the maker or controlling standards body is notifying that this way of operating or interacting is becoming obsolete. More importantly, the day will come when some future version will not even allow the deprecated approach, but will reject it.

It may be helpful to think of dictionary definitions. A large, exhaustive dictionary may include a word that has become archaic, and warn of this. That is the spirit of deprecate. Using an archaic word limits the useful life of the text. Future readers are not going to understand what one meant. Somewhat more abridged dictionaries, in the future, will stop providing a definition at all.

“Policy” is a fairly high-level rule about how things are to be done. For example, the policy regarding mechandise returns is to only issue an in-store credit.

A well-phrased policy sets out an unambiguous statement of a rule, usually avoiding specifics of how or statement of measurable standards.

A deprecated policy would be a policy that remains, but is expected to be dropped as not applicable in the future. The possible reasons may include a transformation of a business or environment where the policy may refer to something that may not occur in the future, due to other changes.

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

14 day returns are only available for certain categories.  They are largely invalid now.

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

So, I have 1400 listings with 14-day returns on them. Now what? It might be possible to make global changes while relisting them in batches. I will try that. Meanwhile, I leave them as is. As often happens, the eBay policy bears no relationship to reality. I almost never get returns. Maybe a couple times a year, and even then it is done informally.  If a customer is dissatisfied, he or she is going to get in touch with me in far fewer than 14 days and we will work something out. If I sent the wrong item, I immediately send the correct item and offer to pay the postage on the return of the incorrect one. If someone thinks a description wasn't accurate, I usually offer a partial discount.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

You have to give the customers a 30 day return now.
Message 14 of 23
latest reply

Near as I can tell, the 30 day return policy is a must IF you want to be or maintain Top Seller rating. If you don't, then ignore the messages. I have no wish for that rating and so long as eBAY offers 14 day returns that is what I am selecting.  If eBAY does away with 14 days, I'll be going to no returns.  The buyer should be able to determine if the item is not as described, arrived damaged, DOA well within 14 days. 

Message 15 of 23
latest reply