cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return policy options, and 30-day free returns requirement

Return policy options, 30-day free returns requirement for Top Rated Plus or for all sellers?

Very confusing

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Required for Top Rated Plus, recommended for everyone else, but not yet required.
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Thank you
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

@shoppingbomc2014 wrote:
Required for Top Rated Plus, recommended for everyone else, but not yet required.

Actually it is required.  I have been getting little love notes from eBay on my over view page every time one of my Good to Canceled listings completes its's month (at lest I think that is the triger)

eBay also will not let me list anything New at 14 days, or revise anyting without revising the return options.  They have eliminated my store return policy, requireing me to add it to the end of my listings.  There is nothing optional, if you want to offer returns it must be 30 days or longer.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

@nancycyburban wrote:

@shoppingbomc2014 wrote:

Actually it is required.  I have been getting little love notes from eBay on my over view page every time one of my Good to Canceled listings completes its's month (at lest I think that is the triger)

eBay also will not let me list anything New at 14 days, or revise anyting without revising the return options.  They have eliminated my store return policy, requireing me to add it to the end of my listings.  There is nothing optional, if you want to offer returns it must be 30 days or longer.

There are categorys  that seller can do 14 day return .   

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@nancycyburban wrote:

@shoppingbomc2014 wrote:

Free returns isn't required but if you do accept returns, most categories require at least 30 days.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

> Actually it is required.  I have been getting little love notes from eBay on my over view page every time one of my Good to Canceled listings completes its's month.

I got one of those little love notes today too:

Some of your listings need to be updated in order to comply with eBay policies or security changes.

What do you need to do?
We’ve identified the listings that need to be changed to meet our updated standards.

• 5 of your listings have an unsupported return policy. Listings with unsupported return policy will not be automatically re-listed. Learn more about our new return policy guidance.

These are BIN items, not Good till cancelled. I had them in Books, Nonfiction. They are USED, thus vintage.

So, I just moved them to different categories pertaining to the vintage topic of the book.  If no potential buyer sees them, oh well. It's not like with the new algorithm apparently being used that anyone was going to see them anyway.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

I just got a return back for a "did not fit" because the buyer did not choose to read (or pay attention to) the measurements.  Guess who paid for the shipping ?  Yep, I the seller, paid for it.  And I'm getting another one in a couple of days for the same reason (a NWT item, too).  This really grids my gears.  I can put up every measurement I want on the listing - but I can't measure the buyer.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

5 - I have over 500 because I'm changing mine from free shipping to buyer pays PLUS I'm getting a small handling charge. Bump this mess.
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@carlmarxx wrote:

@nancycyburban wrote:

@shoppingbomc2014 wrote:

There are categories that seller can do 14 day return .   
Do you know where I can find a list of these categories?  ... Could be worth looking into RE some of my products selling in different categories

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@nancycyburban wrote:

Do you know where I can find a list of these categories?  ... Could be worth looking into RE some of my products selling in different categories

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2018-spring/simplified-returns.html

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@nancycyburban wrote:

@shoppingbomc2014 wrote:

Free returns isn't required but if you do accept returns, most categories require at least 30 days.

That is the problem.  I don't feel right about not offering returns. 
I see from the discussions that 30 day and Free returns creates different kinds of problems & has different consequences for other sellers, then those I face.  
 Frankly, I think you all need to give up in the Fee Returns nonsense. 
I refused to offer free returns a long time ago... I still ended up doing so because eBay refuses to accept any kind of reasonable proof of buyer fault and does not enforce their own policies.  

I go out of my way to be Fair to my customers; I recommend this to any one selling, BE FAIR. 
However, there is a difference between being fair and being a Doormat.  eBay seems to want Doormats for sellers.
In my business shipping live things, there are times when a tree is damaged in shipping (due to shipping time, conditions or weather).  What I do depends on the situation.
Sometime I just send another tree and ask the customer to do the best they can with the damaged tree, but to try keep it alive. (This is for for trees that are still alive but which would never, IMO, live thru return shipping).  Other times, if I think the tree can be salvaged, and would survive the return, I will send a RA# & a shipping label. 
I have had problem returns and questionable returns, BUT ... Knock on wood 🙂 ... I have only had One return I consider outright fraudulent, where the customer not only had no reason for the return, lied about the reason for the return (NAD case), then took no care in preparing the trees for return shipping. 
I feel totally let down by eBay, who did not allow me to enforce my store return policy.   It was a very large order (for my business).  I cannot afford to repeat the experience. 
I think it is a no brainer that 30 days is unreasonable for living things.  They are totally dependant on the buyers care.  If the buyer waits until day 29 to tell me there is a problem... I doubt I will get a live tree back.  I will certainly not ship them another tree.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@nancycyburban wrote:

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2018-spring/simplified-returns.html

Thanks for the response.  I will have to read it closely. 
Here is what ticked me off about this 30 day issue.  When I had a major problem I was told that I could not apply my store return policy because I only offered 14 day returns.  I started looking into this whole mess and kept seeing wording like:  "You will be required to offer 30-day returns in the following categories to be eligible to receive Top Rated Plus discounts" 
Who cares... I gave up trying to meet eBays insane requirements for Power Seller and Top Rated Seller a long time ago.  None of them took into account the necessites & requirements for shipping live plants, a big part of my business. 
None of eBays policies are as fair to the honest customer, with a problem as I am.  I very much resent eBay implying to my customers they need to file a case in order to get me to assist them with damages or problems.  

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Exactly, it is now required to be 30 day minimum.

I am a seller and this is happening to me too.  As my listings come up for renewal (they were all set up with a 14 day return policy),  I get the message to change the Returns settings to conform to current standards (30 day return min.).   Its getting a little dictatorial and bureaucratic around here...

Not to mention all the time it takes to keep making changes to multiple listings just cause someone decides to change a rule.  Ebay takes OUR TIME for granted.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

I am confused as well. It sounds like we can't charge if the customer returns their order used.  The only option is no returns and work it out with the customer if they want a return. 

Message 15 of 15
latest reply