cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refunded item for non delievery then the item was delivered what can you do?

There was an obvious problem with USPS and the buyer didn't receive item so they opened a case and I promptly refunded their payment. A week later the item was delivered to them, now they want to pay me for it but since eBay seller services are so ineffective there is no way for me to do this. What can I do to FINALLY get paid for my item any ideas? Thanks

Good luck to ALL the small sellers out there!
Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Refunded item for non delievery then the item was delivered what can you do?

@popeye3165   The "Item not received" claim in eBay gives you a little time to respond so that maybe the package shows up.  Refunding immediately is not recommended because that closes the case.  eBay does NOT publish this next point but if you call eBay and ask for an extension they will extend the claim window 3-4 days max.  Sometimes this is enough to allow the carrier time to get the package there.  Also, if eBay sees there IS some progress with tracking scans on the package they will give you some grace but only while the claim is active, NOT after it has been closed.

I advised eBay they should automatically take the money from the Buyer if the package arrives AFTER an item not received claim is process and the $$ refunded BECAUSE the Buyer agreed to pay for the item so why should a Seller lose everything just because the carrier, who they have absolutely no control over, fails to do their part????  Obviously they have not done that and hold Sellers responsible for carriers whom again, they have absolutely no control over.

So right now you are out the money, out the item and unless the Buyer is honest and sends you the money that's it, you're done.  You can certainly send a polite and professional message to the Buyer that while the delivery was late through no fault of your own could they kindly drop a check in the mail to the address on the shipping label and deduct the stamp postage on the envelope ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Re: Refunded item for non delievery then the item was delivered what can you do?

Send the buyer an invoice through Paypal - you should be able to get their email address from the original PayPal transaction.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

lilycarver
Scout

years ago paypal took money back from a seller i bought an item from despite my never requesting it ( i had no problem) and REFUSED to pay them saying it was "closed" Since I wanted to pay them i just did it as "friend" payment through paypal

Ask buyer to do that. It's easy

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

lilycarver
Scout

years ago paypal took money back from a seller i bought an item from despite my never requesting it ( i had no problem) and refused to pay them saying it was "closed" Since I wanted to pay them i just did it as "friend" payment through paypal

Ask buyer to do that. It's easy

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Usually we cannot file for an item not received until much later in the transaction. How did they go about getting a refund without proof that it was never delivered if the item was still showing in transit on the tracking?

You could contact the customer and ask that they pay for the item or send the item back if they no longer want it. If that fails...you have the original tracking information on the item with the customer's information, which should suffice as proof that the item was delivered and you should be able to get an appeal to reverse the refund.

Contact eBay with your new updated information on the tracking and let them know that the item arrived afterall. If the item was excessively late in delivery, the carrier may be held responsible for refunding your shipping costs as well, so there are many avenues that you may need to follow to get this settled. 

Wish you luck!

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Just had it happen. The Buy got a refund from Ebay even though it showed it delivered to their mailbox. I guess it is a an easy way for a Buyer to get a refund and get their item too. Crazy. As long as it doesn't come out of my pocket I don't care. 

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I totally agree. I just had similar situation. Ebay protects the buyers way more than the sellers. i can't believe they would just refund the item to them and I'm out of money and the item, total **bleep**!!!!

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@debsim1650 wrote:

Send the buyer an invoice through Paypal - you should be able to get their email address from the original PayPal transaction.

Actually I thought of that unfortunately PayPal hides the email address now and redirects you back to eBay. Slowly but surely sellers are losing all control on eBay.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@hammyluo wrote:

Contact eBay with your new updated information on the tracking and let them know that the item arrived afterall. If the item was excessively late in delivery, the carrier may be held responsible for refunding your shipping costs as well, so there are many avenues that you may need to follow to get this settled. 

Long time eBay inmate here and part of my beef is that it could have been so much easier to recoup my money if eBay hadn't taken almost all control of my seller functions over the years. Now I'm spending 2-3 hours just trying to get $15 back and this is on top of all the time I have already invested in this transaction. eBay really makes selling here so much more difficult than it needs to be.

Thanks for your reply

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@popeye3165 wrote:

Actually I thought of that unfortunately PayPal hides the email address now and redirects you back to eBay. Slowly but surely sellers are losing all control on eBay.

Normally, you can see your buyer's PayPal email address by pretending to refund the payment at PayPal: Try that anyway, even though it's now been totally refunded already.

And if you pretend to reply to the original message from PayPal in your *email* that you received a payment, you should see your buyer's PayPal email address as the recipient of that pretend reply.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@popeye3165 wrote:

@debsim1650 wrote:

Check the order detail on eBay, the buyers email shows there for quite a while as well.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 12 of 12
latest reply