cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prepaid postage void out scam - eBay sends seller dings, buyer doorbell rings

So buyers and sellers, here's a new one for you most have probably never heard of.  This is another fine example of the incompetence here at eBay, the failures of the eBay "system" and user tools, and the potentially useless assurances of eBay customer service.

Three weeks ago a brand new account (purchase was made the day the account was created) bought a pre-packed item I had listed.  It was BIN.  I printed the shipping label, and as I was about to head out for postal drop-off, I realized the package was a "PM Flat rate" box, something I had earlier been remiss of (I normally make all my own boxes or otherwise use a PM box, but only occasionally a FR box).

So,  knowing the PM FR box has it's own bar rate code, I discarded the eBay printed label and went to the PO and paid out of pocket at the counter, for Medium FR domestic.   I next requested from eBay, to void out the shipping label and receive a eBay refund in the amount I paid for the label. 

Turns out, the request was never processed nor completed.  This was sent the same afternoon as the package was mailed, Mar. 5.  Still, no refund.  ....But I get a defect in my seller performance, for having "tracking uploaded but not validated".   This is completely unwarranted, and I told CS this in my call today.

Points to ponder:

1.  eBaY immediately sends a message response when the void-out request in sent, stating a 72 hour hold is placed on the printed label, and if not scanned by then, the refund process shall begin and the label voided.  Never happened. 

2.  eBay does NOT offer a user tool (that I ever saw), allowing the seller to upload the receipt tracking number for the postage paid for at the P.O. - be it before OR after that 72 hour hold period expires.  In fact, there is no user tool whatsoever for a seller to upload a 2nd tracking number, in the voiding out of the first and cancellation of the printed label.

3.  The USPS will, at times, let a prepaid label 'slide by' on a a unscanned Flat Rate box, but that can result in the buyer being told to pay the difference in order for their package to be delivered.  It has happened.  They go up to your door, and request a payment because the original postage was not enough, and a subsequent scan reveals postage still owed.  This can - and has, happened.  I don't want my buyers facing that.

4.  I repeatedly hear this excuse from eBay CS, that there is "defect department" is receiving requests - it can be reached, but that they are working "offline".  Does this really mean they aren't working at all?

How is anyone BUT eBay in the wrong here - and why the heck do I have a defect in my seller performance and NO refund for a label I never used on the package?  I even emailed the correct tracking number to this buyer.  NO INR, no buyer complaints....the package must have been received.

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Prepaid postage void out scam - eBay sends seller dings, buyer doorbell rings

@password9019 wrote:

there wasn't anywhere to "add" (you really mean upload*), the tracking number.  That type of user tool in this situation, did not show anywhere on my screen, and I clicked on everything I could see, everything I could find related to the transaction.  Logic would tell me that the first label would have to be voided out, because until that happens the tracking number automatically uploaded at time of label purchase (and which cannot be removed any end user/member) will remain as THE number the buyer sees.

You're saying you "added" the correct number and voided out a purchased label "immediately".  How does that work?  What was the sequence of events there?  You must have super powers on your eBay display, because there was no way I was able to do any of that unilaterally, myself.  Immediate void out?  Never heard of it.  All I could do - and as I explained - was to *request* eBay void it out.  That was the only option I had displayed.

lol You must be one of those  'big sellers', getting special displays, special eBay privileges, and subscriber perks and options....I don't have that...I am a 'little person' on here.

I don't think

LMAO, anyone can access those options. It's all right there if you look.  Go to your Shipping Labels page and look for the "Actions" dropdown on the side. Select "Void label" and void the label. Then select "Print Another Label" and purchase and print the second label and copy the tracking number to your clipboard. Go back to your Orders page and there will be an "Edit" button next to the tracking number. Click that, then select "Add additional tracking number."

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

Re: Prepaid postage void out scam - eBay sends seller dings, buyer doorbell rings

Check and see if you shipping label was actually Voided.  I believe you only have 7 days to void it. 

Track and manage your shipments

https://www.ebay.com/ship/lmng/labels-history/seller-hub

It may say pending and if it does then at least you know the request was submitted.

Message 17 of 17
latest reply