cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Postage refund

So here's the thing. Bought a speaker for my car. Clearly advertised as off side right rear which is what I needed. When it came it was marked as such but was incorrect and was an near side left. Seller said return which I did but they wont refund postage even though wrong item sent.  So I chatted live with Ebay who basically said unlucky you clicked didn't fit in the return. Well the of course its the wrong item it didn't fit. But they said no refund. But legally I'm entitled as incorrect item sent. What a farce

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Postage refund

you chose the wrong option for your return, so thats kind of on you..should have been not as described..doesnt fit is a remorse return.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Postage refund

@herb_12 

Hey, sorry you had a bad experience!  Buying on eBay is relatively safe as you are backed by eBay's Money Back Guarantee (MBG) which is the most protective for on line buyers!

Now that said, "the catch" is that for the MBG to work in you favor you have to follow the rules correctly.  Yeah, that's the rub and often it is not easy as the MBG is pretty detailed and complex.  So messing up is not unusual.  You are not alone - as if that were any consolation.

So when you get something that is different from what the description in the listing, then you open a "case" for Not As Described (NAD).  In a NAD situation the seller is responsible for paying return shipping a providing a FULL refund.  But here is where things can go south - IF you select "doesn't fit" which is in fact what happened, the speaker doesn't fit, then that is considered by the MBG to be a 'remorse" reason.  In that situation IF the seller has a returns policy of buyer pays return shipping then for remorse reasons a buyer has to pay to ship it back.  But it doesn't matter what the seller's  returns policy is in a NAD case, the seller is REQUIRED to pay return shipping.

So yeah, it stinks that you selected a remorse reason and had to pay for return shipping.  Sadly you'll have to chalk this up as 'tuition paid' for learning a hard lesson.

But you found the Community here and that is a bonus.  Now if something goes south, BEFORE you act you can come back here and ASK!  My poster here with knowledge of how things work.  But finding us puts you head & shoulders ahead of many!  So there is that too!

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Postage refund

So thanks for the explanation. Absolutely stinks that policy then as technically I'm right it doesn't fit.  Cheers anyway

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Postage refund

So quick update then, just spoke to another person at the customer service desk and said that if I was caught out by a technicality then technically I am not wrong the speaker didn't fit so to choose the didn't fit option in the return was right, long pause followed by yes ok we will get the postage back

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Postage refund

@herb_12 

OK good!  Hope that helps and gets you the shipping back.  Might be that eBay decide to give you a courtesy refund. 

But hey next time, go with "not as described" as although it didn't fit, the reason it didn't fit is that is was described wrong in the listing.  Just want to make sure you understand the difference and how that works in the returns process!

Glad it worked out for you!

Also there is another lesson in your experience - an "answer" from CS isn't always THE answer, things can be different depending on who you draw from the CS pool.  So like dealing with the Gubmit, don't like the answer?  Hang & call again!  LOL!

Message 6 of 6
latest reply