cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post Office not scanning or shipping first class packages until the next day

I've moved and have to use a different post office. I had a bunch of things last month that got marked as shipped late even though I had printed them on time. I thought I had dropped them off on time too but have been really busy personally lately and thought perhaps I'd just not been paying enough attention to what I was doing. So I've been being very careful about it this month. The other day I got a message from a buyer asking about when I was going to ship their package, but I had shipped it the day before. I checked and no tracking was showing up. Then I checked the other items I had dropped off with it. All the Priority packages had been scanned. The first class ones didn't get scanned as being accepted at that post office for 23 1/2 hours. I put them in the drop  box at the post office about a half hour before the last scheduled pick up time. Today I dropped my things off at 1 in the afternoon. They still haven't been scanned in, though they could still show up sometime tonight. Is it ok for a post office to not scan your things until the next day?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Post Office not scanning or shipping first class packages until the next day

I actually had the same issue when I utilized the drop box to leave my packages so I had to actually start dropping them with an actual postal worker so I KNEW that it was getting scanned. This would most definitely be something that you would want to talk to your local post office in regard to in order to see what their shipping policies are or if they scan 1st class different than priority mail. As for the tracking number - that should be generated when you purchase the postage online. Are you purchasing your postage via eBay or PayPal?
~Stacy~
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Re: Post Office not scanning or shipping first class packages until the next day

I have the tracking numbers I do get them when I purchase postage through eBay. Sorry I wasn't clear, by " no tracking was showing up" I meant that no tracking activity was showing up through the tracking number other than the postage had been purchased.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

You can always stand in line to get an acceptance scan. Ebay even has a SCAN form to make it easier.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

USPS is not required to scan items placed in the self service bin. They all go to a sorting station.

Don't want defects? Use a scan sheet. Don't like to wait inline at the post office? Do your homework find the slow periods during the day or utilize the usps pickup request so they come to you and pickup.

We use the scan sheet and our late shipment rate is 0%. They either pickup at our shop or we take the shipment to them.  

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Agreed-- use the scan sheet and schedule a pickup from your home so you do not have to go to the post office. Many post offices will not take the time to scan packages dropped off. I ship between  15 - 20 packages per day and have USPS pick up from my front door.  Inside the bag is a scan sheet.  You also get an email confirming the shipment pick up.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Thank you for the help. I guess I'll just wait in line. I'd love to have her pick up here at the house, but the mail seems to come at really random times. They are scanning at the original drop off post office. The first tracking scans come from the post office I drop them off at, the next scans come from the distribution center.

Is the option to make a single scanning sheet from the bulk shipping option? I've tried using that in the past but it does strange things in the printing, the first ones come out ok then at the end it uses a different font or something and they look strange, so I have to go back and reprint them individually anyway. So I'm just still printing each individual label. I would love it if I could figure out how to make the bulk printing work correctly.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I have to print individually as well as i have had issues and glitches with the system in regard to not being able to utilize the bulk function either. I hope it gets better for you soon!!
~Stacy~
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

From reading community posts, it seems all situations concerning each post office are different.

We live in a city, in an older area, on a dead end street. Most homes have high porches with steps. It is hilly, and an unpopular route for postal workers. Therefore, we no longer have a regular mail person.

Sometimes, even in slightly bad weather, we don't get mail at all. Our mail delivery can be as late as 8 at night.

There have been thefts from porches (and other places) lately.

So, like you, we can't realistically consider a pickup. It just doesn't work.

There is a satellite post office with limited hours a few miles away. We go in and make sure things are scanned. They have gotten to know us & scan right then.  Thankfully, it is not usually busy, but it does require a car  round trip about  1/2 hour.

We just now are dropping small packages into a mailbox, watching pickup times. (Although the hollow thunk, letting you know the mail was picked up earlier than scheduled is discouraging)

However, if we do put things in the mailbox, we make sure we are at least a day ahead of our 3 day handling time.

We are not in the habit of using a scan sheet, but, seems as what we are doing works just as well, can't see where the scan sheet would help much (unless we massively increase our sales)

We have developed our method with much trial and error. Don't know what we would do without the satellite postal center.

But, with Ebay's increased emphasis on delivery times, it's worked for us.

Best of luck to you.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply