cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post Office Insurance Will not Pay for Lost Items

Be careful shipping valuable items with Post Office. I recommend FedEx or UPS.  The post office denied a LOST ITEM CLAIM because I do not have the original receipt.  The eBay transaction screen shot does NOT provide proof of the value.  So, if you sold a t-shirt from the 1970's, you have to have the receipt.  If the t-shirt sold for $55 on ebay, it does not matter.  The claim will be denied and there is NO phone number where you can reach someone. The appeal process will not work, and you will simply have lost your money.  

Consider it the cost of doing business OR ship FedEx/UPS.   Just be careful if you are a small time seller or if you are scraping by.

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Post Office Insurance Will not Pay for Lost Items

@originaltexan 

So, if you sold a t-shirt from the 1970's, you have to have the receipt.  If the t-shirt sold for $55 on ebay, it does not matter. 

If you are talking the IRS, you need to have a receipt if you wish to deduct the original cost when filing taxes.

If you are talking the USPS, the original receipt is the price the buyer paid you on eBay (I use the paid Order Receipt).

Message 16 of 29
latest reply

9400108205498006709051   NEWEST LOST ITEM

9405508205496932465938  FIRST LOST ITEM

Some don't understand the issue. If you sell on consignment, you will not have access to the actual receipt.  Also, if you sell on consigment, your cost of goods is what you paid the client.  It is impossible to have a receipt for the item sold.

The post office has rejected my claims because there is no receipt. Screenshots do not prove anything to the post office, so the screen shots of the ebay payment processing does not count.  I am not sure how the post office is "losing" stuff.

Moral of the story. Expensive item? Use a 3rd party site to ship and pay for insurance or write off your losses.

Message 17 of 29
latest reply

They're not asking for the ORIGINAL receipt. They want proof of value - ie what you SOLD it for.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 18 of 29
latest reply

@toomuchstuffagain35 wrote:

They're not asking for the ORIGINAL receipt. They want proof of value - ie what you SOLD it for.

Exactly. They want proof of what you sold it for AND proof that the buyer actually PAID what you're claiming you sold it for.

Message 19 of 29
latest reply

Well, thank you for comments, and that is all I can really say.

Even if I provided screen shots of the denial letters, you would not believe me. Maybe you work for the post office.  I don't know.  On the surface you are correct about the policy. Real life is that we do not know why the proof of ebay as pmt processor is not good enough.   I have screen shots of the payment processor, which is ebay. I also have screen shots of the ebay auction.

I've been selling for 20+ years, and I have never seen anything like this.  It could be a lack of understanding by the claims person. It could be anything.

Message 20 of 29
latest reply

Did you provide a copy of the Order Details.  It has everything about the order although if you get a copy of it after two weeks the buyers address is deleted from it.

stephenmorgan_1-1692310918912.png

Message 21 of 29
latest reply

@originaltexan 

Some don't understand the issue. If you sell on consignment, you will not have access to the actual receipt.  Also, if you sell on consigment, your cost of goods is what you paid the client.  It is impossible to have a receipt for the item sold... The post office has rejected my claims because there is no receipt.

No, I do not understand. You talk about screenshots of eBay processing, but you have not talked about what I have repeatedly suggesting.

I have access to the "eBay Order Receipt" for all my eBay Orders. On the orders page under more options for print packing slip is an option to print order receipt. If you don't want a screenshot, change your printer option to print to PDF. Send the USPS the PDF.

I don't have many USPS claims. I have been on eBay for over 20 years and have never had a USPS claim rejected for any reason. The USPS has certainly never told me the eBay Order Receipt can't be accepted as a receipt. eBay shows details of what the buyer actually paid and what you received in the order details. 

No idea how selling on consignment will stop you from accessing your eBay orders if you have access to the eBay transaction details. Trying to understand. What am I missing?

Message 22 of 29
latest reply

A) I filed a claim or two in 2022, and I know the procedure.  The eBay order details show the transaction, fees, etc. In 2022, I was successful with the claim.  I

B) 2023, I repeated the same actions of 2022. Same procedures. Same methods. Post office wants the actual receipt of the goods.  For example, if you want into Jakes Electronics in 1984 to buy an item, they gave you a paper receipt.  If you do not have that receipt, you are out of luck.  I have provided ample proof of the ebay transaction.  Keep in mind we are talking about a lost item which is very simple.  Nobody is debating the value of the goods.

C) I know and understand ebay frontwards and backwards. I understand the claim process for all carriers. Look at my volume of sales.

D) I will be glad to answer more questions, and I hope that all of this is understood. I think I can write well!

Message 23 of 29
latest reply

Precisely what I submitted.  eBay is the payment processor, and that is what the post office wants to see. 

Perhaps the clerks are outsourced or there is some kind of gap or directive. I have no idea.

My intent was never to seek help on how to attach a pdf, but my intent was to show a problem for small sellers or people that are scraping by.

Message 24 of 29
latest reply

good news, one item finally got delivered

Message 25 of 29
latest reply

@originaltexan 

"Post office wants the actual receipt of the goods. For example, if you want into Jakes Electronics in 1984 to buy an item, they gave you a paper receipt."

Think I got it. You are working with the only USPS office that refuses to follow their own policy.

Any merchant from Amazon to Walmart will never have the original paper receipt to submit and will never have a USPS claim accepted when working with the specific USPS Staff you work with. The only solution is for you to move to a different postal area. I have always filed claims online and the USPS has always followed their policy in accepting eBay Order receipts.

Message 26 of 29
latest reply

@originaltexan wrote:

Precisely what I submitted.  eBay is the payment processor, and that is what the post office wants to see. 

Perhaps the clerks are outsourced or there is some kind of gap or directive. I have no idea.

My intent was never to seek help on how to attach a pdf, but my intent was to show a problem for small sellers or people that are scraping by.

Sure, I understand.  I am interested to learn what is acceptable encase I have another claim. 

I had a claim in 1986 for $14.  I did not have a receipt of what I paid for it or any proof that someone had paid me for it.  What the USPS accepted as proof of value was a sales list of someone who had the same item for sale.  It still took months to be reimbursed.

Message 27 of 29
latest reply

Follow-up.  Still no payment for the lost item.  Reminder to use third part insurance or just write off the loss and move on.  The phone numbers to the post office do not work either. The automated assistant cannot understand or acknowledge what is requested.  Complete waste of time.

Message 28 of 29
latest reply

Good news. Finally got paid. 

Message 29 of 29
latest reply