cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password????

Has anyone else been asked for and how common is it to provide a password before getting a package from a carrier? I have been an eBay member since July 2011 and have never been asked for a password to receive a package I ordered from another seller here. I have ordered hundreds of items from sellers here and have never been asked to give a password to receive a package from ANY carrier whether it be USPS, UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc.................... I would have never received that package, but fortunately someone in my home was available when delivery driver showed up to deliver my package. I was at work and that individual in the house, that was available to receive, called me and asked if I knew anything about a password. I was kind of ignorant about the subject of "passwords" to receive package mailings, so I had to go back to my eBay messages and reread some of the emails from this particular seller who gave me the password to provide to the carrier and I gave that information to the person who was available to receive my package and the delivery driver input the info and it matched with what was on his package scanner. I just need to know if ANYONE else, besides myself, experienced this situation and how common is it? Thank you.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Password????

@wt33.1116 wrote:

I was at work and that individual in the house, that was available to receive, called me and asked if I knew anything about a password. I was kind of ignorant about the subject of "passwords" to receive package mailings, so I had to go back to my eBay messages and reread some of the emails from this particular seller who gave me the password to provide to the carrier and I gave that information to the person who was available to receive my package and the delivery driver input the info and it matched with what was on his package scanner. 

Amazon has something posted about doing this (Secure Delivery with a One-Time Password).  Never heard of it from other shippers.  That was a lot of effort for you to find the password.  The driver just waited around while the password was researched?  I never seen a driver wait any time at all, just a knock on the door and they are back to their vehicle by the time I open the door.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Never ever had to give a password.

And Amazon never ask for one either.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Secure Delivery with a One-Time Password

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html%3FnodeId%3DGXHYX22CS752PLE3

This has to do with valuable items.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

A new one on me, but that explains it. I don't buy valuable items. 🙂

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

A new one on me, but that explains it. I don't buy valuable items. 🙂

Believe or not but there are scams with this also.

People receiving mulitple deliveries would give the password to driver when requested but when they opened all the deliveries the item that was suppose be proteccted with the password was not there.  When they reported this their claim would be denied because the password was given. 

I do not know if it is an improved system now, but I hope so.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Yes it was. I was not happy at all hearing about a password. I thought it was a scam at first. I emailed the seller and told them I don't want a password, I want the item I ordered. Was also very close to getting eBay involved because I never heard of a thing like this in ALL the years of my commerce.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply