cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packing & Shipping: What not to do

Dropped off packages at the post office and spotted seven med flat rate Priority boxes in the laundry hamper for prepaids - all with a massive gap like this:

medflatrate-boxgap.png

I see this happen all the time. I've received many packages just like this, often with damaged goods.

The shipper didn't even put a piece of cardboard under the gap to protect the contents.

Not only are the contents more vulnerable to damage, but because the box is not sealed within the "normal folds" or "properly closed" (terms from the DMM), USPS can apply cost adjustments to those prepaid flat rates.

Your turn. Add a "what not to do" tip below.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Packing & Shipping: What not to do

That's absurd. I've never shipped or received a parcel like that.

As a shipper I can't remember the last time I used Flat Rate boxes, except for the discontinued Regional (A, B,&C) ones that can be used for Priority Mail.

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

Not to mention completely illegal.

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

Just cross out the offending words.

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

I'm sure you'd rather have gotten the books than a refund.

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

What not to do:

Please do NOT ship collectible books in a bubble or poly mailer.  Just don't.  Get a box.

Trade paperbacks are fine in mailers, but hardcovers and anything (PB or HB) collectible needs to be in a box.

Please do NOT ship an antique paper item in an envelope.  Just don't.  Sandwich it between some corrugated cardboard and then mail it.  Yes, it will be a package and it will cost more than a stamp to ship, but the $50 paper item I paid good money for won't be destroyed by the high speed sorting machines or folded, spindled and mutilated beyond recognition.

Thank you.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 20 of 20
latest reply