cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Package was sent media mail instead of first class.

Good Morning ebay community.

I purchased a shirt on 2/18. It arrived at their local usps facility on 2/20. The last update was on 2/27 "In transition to next facility". When purchased it stated it'll be shipped first class (No other options) paid for, so now its 3/3 and soon to find out it was shipped media mail. It has missed both expected on ebay/usps dates. I know its out of the sellers hands once its in the hands of the P.O. 

Just curious on what i should do? Never dealt with an item thats been shipped media mail so i dont know the formalities that come with it. 

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Package was sent media mail instead of first class.

@hiddenvermont wrote:

I've got one coming to me now, shipping supplies being sent Media Mail. I intend to report it.  I don't see how the AFV system will catch it unless they open the package. Won't do any good to report to my PO though, while the guy is very nice he is new and somewhat clueless.

That happened to me once, I sent some books MM and the buyer complained they got makeup. I figure the PO opened several MM packages at the same time and mixed up the contents. Someone who wanted cosmetics wound up with history books. I refunded the buyer of course.

The package doesn’t have to be opened. APV doesn’t just catch media mail abuse, it catches normal underpaid and overpaid postage. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 16 of 24
latest reply

► APV doesn’t  just  catch media mail abuse, it ONLY catches normal underpaid and overpaid postage.

Fixed that for you? grin

Message 17 of 24
latest reply

►I don't see how the AFV system will catch it unless they open the package

Short of adding X-ray, ultrasound, and/or other scanning machines (assuming any of them can determine enough about the contents to be useful) and AI to the interpret the results to the system, APV can't determine anything about contents.

Even if they did, would be tough to differentiate a magazine from a book or from a graphic novel. Tough to identify a piano roll as opposed to some other cylindrical object. Best they could do is try for a reasonable non-false positive hit rate on just weeding out obvious clothing items and other things that can't be any of the things allowed in media mail. Doubt it's worth the hassle and $ investment to them.

But if they did, maybe that's where Skynet will arise from (killer mail scanner bots with X-ray eyes subjugating mankind)
Message 18 of 24
latest reply

By the sounds of it you have a good relationship with the seller.  you bought from them in the past and enjoyed the product.

if I were you i'd send a message to the seller concerning that the item was sent media mail.  Let them you know you found out that the item shouldn't have been sent via media mail and that your concerned it might get held up or delayed. in the future you ask that they don't send it this way since it's not a book or educational material.

he may or may not know that they shouldn't have sent it that way but now they know.  if they do it next time then report them.  if you get the item under 30 days without a problem let it go as a mistake by the seller.  USPS makes mistakes all time also.

Message 19 of 24
latest reply

Hi @sunnyside808, Do you want your shirt, or do you want to make this a teaching moment for your seller? If you want your shirt, wait for it.  You have 30 days from the last estimated delivery date to file an eBay Item Not Received claim if it doesn't arrive by then, 180 days if you paid with PayPal.  Filing an INR will not speed delivery.  But if you want to teach the seller a lesson, file an INR, get your refund, and when the shirt arrives, return it.  I'm sure you know that despite what you were advised, there is no scenario under which it would be ok to keep both the shirt and any part of a refund.  Good luck!

Message 20 of 24
latest reply

The shirt is probably too heavy for first class mail or too expensive,so seller opts t o ship media mail to save money or not to lose money.

USPS AVS would not be able to catch that-book vs shirt,but if your post office catches it,you could end up paying the extra postage.

he should have charge enough postage to begin with.

If it is not a lot of money,I would let it go,as a fellow seller /buyer to another Ebay seller 

Message 21 of 24
latest reply

A while back, I bought a camera on eBay that the seller shipped via media mail.

Not only did it take forever to arrive, but the mail carrier handed me a postage due bill

for about $11, which I had to pay before they would release the package to me.

Luckily for the seller he included another 'free' camera in the package, that made it

worthwhile. He also messaged me with a hard luck family medical illness story when I contacted

him about it, so I avoided giving him negative feedback.

Message 22 of 24
latest reply

In the old days,sellers always charge a little more for shipping and handling,that handling part covers material and gas and time waiting in line at the post office

Message 23 of 24
latest reply

Know that the USPS xrays packages. My spouse has seen a return (he delivers) because the contents were not media mail qualified.
Message 24 of 24
latest reply