cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Package was sent media mail instead of first class.

Good Morning ebay community.

I purchased a shirt on 2/18. It arrived at their local usps facility on 2/20. The last update was on 2/27 "In transition to next facility". When purchased it stated it'll be shipped first class (No other options) paid for, so now its 3/3 and soon to find out it was shipped media mail. It has missed both expected on ebay/usps dates. I know its out of the sellers hands once its in the hands of the P.O. 

Just curious on what i should do? Never dealt with an item thats been shipped media mail so i dont know the formalities that come with it. 

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Package was sent media mail instead of first class.

You're in Hawaii.  Media Mail is going to have to wait for a boat ride over and could take several weeks.

The seller was wrong to send it that way.   It was totally in their hands to start with.  Their screw up was deliberate.  This is no fault of the PO.

I'd open the Item Not Received and force the seller's hand.  I usually tell people to have a little patience because delays do happen, but this was totally the fault of the seller.

I have a strong suspicion, especially if packed in a poly/bubble mailer, that the package will arrive postage due (and they'll charge for Priority rates) or that it will be sent back to the seller and they will have to pay a chunk to get it back.  

Open the INR now.  If it eventually arrives but you've been refunded, and you still want it at that time, you can always pay the seller back (I would only pay for the item price then)  

Sorry you ran into this.  

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

One of three things:

The item will be examined and returned to the seller for abuse of Media Mail.

The item will be presented to you with a demand for Postage Due for the amount between Media Mail and normal postage.

The item will slip through and be delivered to you normally.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 2 of 24
latest reply

Fourth possibility:  

The item will be delivered to you but USPS will charge the seller for the Postage Due, through the new APV system.

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

You're in Hawaii.  Media Mail is going to have to wait for a boat ride over and could take several weeks.

The seller was wrong to send it that way.   It was totally in their hands to start with.  Their screw up was deliberate.  This is no fault of the PO.

I'd open the Item Not Received and force the seller's hand.  I usually tell people to have a little patience because delays do happen, but this was totally the fault of the seller.

I have a strong suspicion, especially if packed in a poly/bubble mailer, that the package will arrive postage due (and they'll charge for Priority rates) or that it will be sent back to the seller and they will have to pay a chunk to get it back.  

Open the INR now.  If it eventually arrives but you've been refunded, and you still want it at that time, you can always pay the seller back (I would only pay for the item price then)  

Sorry you ran into this.  

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

I would follow the advice provided by @lintbrush* and add one thing. When the situation is resolved call that seller's local PO to report them for their misuse of Media Mail. If you end up returning the item take a picture of the shipping label before sending it back to use as a point of reference.

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

I would file the INR.  It could be a LONG time before you receive this and you don't have that much time that ebay allows you to open a case.  I recently ordered a book from a seller about 100 miles away from where I am and it took 19 days for delivery on the media mail package.  At that rate you may not receive it for months.

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

Thanks for your advice!

Before I open an INR, just wanted to share his reply when I messaged him again.

"I checked and they said it'll make it to you since I shipped it right away, even with Media Mail since eBay only charged you a little under $3 to Hawaii. I said I 100% understand the time it takes and told them you were really patient and understood. I sent the sticker pack your way too already. Also, I paid for the difference the first round with First Class shipping for you with your first purchase and took the loss but always down for good customer service".

I have bought from him before, and it arrived on time. I believe the sticker pack is some sort of incentive?

Should I wait a bit or still file the INR?
Message 7 of 24
latest reply

The seller still does not seem to comprehend that he shouldn't ship clothing via Media Mail, even if the buyer was in his own state.  This has nothing to do with your being in Hawaii, except that it even further delays the delivery (regardless of any speculation or debate about how long that might turn out to be).

I recommend that you go ahead with the INR claim.  Perhaps it will be the wakeup call this seller needs.  If he is using MM to ship to Hawaii, he is doubtless using it inappropriately for other destinations as well.

He seems to want to blame eBay for inciting  him to use MM because eBay undercharged you for postage ("since eBay only charged you a little under $3" and "I paid for the difference the first round").

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

@partial*eclipsewrote:

He seems to want to blame eBay for inciting  him to use MM because eBay undercharged you for postage ("since eBay only charged you a little under $3" and "I paid for the difference the first round").

He also seems to imply that shipping First Class to Hawaii is more expensive than shipping elsewhere. First Class rates are the same whether you ship to Alaska or Guam.

The seller is the one who sets the shipping rates on the listing. If he's not charging enough to cover a First Class shipment that's on him.

It sounds like he misuses Media Mail regularly and he should defninitely be reported to his local PO. @sunnyside808

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

"Should I wait a bit or still file the INR?"

I would file the INR now.

The seller's response shows that he is clueless, as others have explained. But he is 100% responsible for choosing the shipping methods on his auctions. Hold him accountable for his own actions.

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

To the OP:

If you've purchased from this seller before AND wish to continue doing so, I would wait until 29 days after the last estimated delivery date to open a case. And I wouldn't be surprised if I was then blocked by the seller.

I would, however, report the seller to his post office about sending non-media mail items via media mail.

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

I sent the sticker pack your way too already. 

See?   This is what happens when 9 year olds start selling on ebay.   

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

😂😂😂
Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 13 of 24
latest reply

You don't even have to go to the trouble of contacting the sellers post office to report~~report it to your own post office.  YEARS ago I made the stupid mistake of covering a priority box with brown paper and sending it USPS parcel.  The buyer reported me to their own post office and my post office guy showed me the letter he received putting me on the radar for mis-using priority mailing supplies.  Believe me~~I never did that again. 

When and if the OP receives the shirt he should just take it to his post office and they will handle it from there if it hasn't been discovered along the way.

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

I've got one coming to me now, shipping supplies being sent Media Mail. I intend to report it.  I don't see how the AFV system will catch it unless they open the package. Won't do any good to report to my PO though, while the guy is very nice he is new and somewhat clueless.

That happened to me once, I sent some books MM and the buyer complained they got makeup. I figure the PO opened several MM packages at the same time and mixed up the contents. Someone who wanted cosmetics wound up with history books. I refunded the buyer of course.

Message 15 of 24
latest reply