cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd message from eBay system: This tracking number is already associated with another active shipme

Simple issue.  Buyer bought and paid for 2 items separately.  They are both going to the same address.  But when  try to add the tracking for the second item, eBay shows me this message:

This tracking number is already associated with another active shipment.

Anybody know a way around that, or should I just wait for the defect?

thanks

jolie

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Odd message from eBay system: This tracking number is already associated with another active shipme

fa_8305
Thrill-Seeker

@joliefran wrote:

Buyer bought and paid for 2 items separately.  They are both going to the same address. 

But when  try to add the tracking for the second item ...

Anybody know a way around that, or should I just wait for the defect?

Just use an alias tracking number for the second item, with no spaces:

420  +  last 5 digits of item number  +  first tracking number

Test the alias at the USPS.com website @joliefran then add that as the tracking for the second item.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Your buyer must be a guest buyer.  The are given a different ID for each new transaction so the system thinks that it is 2 different buyers.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@fa_8305 wrote:

I thought it was the 5 digit zip code (that's what I always use). Does it not matter what's used for those 5 digits?

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

@fa_8305 wrote:

I thought it was the 5 digit zip code (that's what I always use). Does it not matter what's used for those 5 digits?

Yes - it's the 5 digit zip code that you enter.  That's what the '420' prefix means in this type of barcode.

Thanks @d-k_treasures. That's consistent with everything I've ever known about it which is that it serves as a routing reference. This page is one I had bookmarked with good info dissecting the numbers on a USPS label.

The advice to use the last 5 digits of the eBay item number is something I'd never heard.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply