cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Return paid label to buyer after 30 days because slow shipping and money was refunded

Just got off instant messaging with EBay.  Had a very late shipment. At 30 days the buyer opened a case for the payment. I refunded the money August 5. The item was delivered around the 15th of August. Buyer just confirmed delivery yesterday. The buyer no longer wants the item and asked for a prepaid shipping label. I contacted Ebay and they said the case is closed so no return label can be bought thru Ebay. They said:

07:21:12 UTC Lizel
Here's what you need to do, let the buyer inquire on the post office how much he needs to pay for shipping the item back to you.
07:21:59 UTC ryan795
Why can't I just generate a label thru EBay and send it to them
07:22:14 UTC Lizel
Giv the buyer your address so, that will be calculated. After you may send money to the buyer directly to purchase the label.

I am not happy with this response. Here is the tracking of my very late package.

August 16, 2020, 1:10 am
Awaiting Delivery Scan
The delivery status of your item has not been updated as of August 16, 2020, 1:10 am. We apologize that it may arrive later than expected.

August 15, 2020, 7:10 am
Out for Delivery
REDONDO BEACH, CA 90278 

August 15, 2020, 2:22 am
Arrived at Post Office
REDONDO BEACH, CA 90277 

August 14, 2020
In Transit to Next Facility

August 11, 2020, 6:06 pm
Departed USPS Regional Destination Facility
LOS ANGELES CA DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

July 24, 2020, 6:31 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility
LOS ANGELES CA DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

July 6, 2020, 9:53 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
WEST PALM BEACH FL DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

July 6, 2020, 6:00 pm
Departed Post Office
DELRAY BEACH, FL 33446 

July 6, 2020, 1:12 pm
USPS picked up item
DELRAY BEACH, FL 33446 

July 5, 2020, 8:45 am
Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item
DELRAY BEACH, FL 33446 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: No Return paid label to buyer after 30 days because slow shipping and money was refunded

Ask the the buyer to mark it return to sender

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Re: No Return paid label to buyer after 30 days because slow shipping and money was refunded

If the buyer has not opened the package, they can try to go back to PO and ask them to be returned to you, i.e. refuse the package. However, if it needs insurance, then they have to purchase a new postage label.

Lizel give you a very amateurish advice. Why would anybody go to the post office to get the rates. Anybody can do it online on the USPS site. Buyer has the package, dimensions, the value if it needs to be insured. Moreover, retail USPS prices (i.e. you actually go to the post office to mail the package) are higher than what one can get online.

What you can do is sign up for a free account with pirateship.com. There you can print a return label. There are several ways to do it and they describe it in their help section.

The best way is for you to temporarily change the default mailing address, i.e to change your current address that you will use when you sign up. So after you sign up, you create a new default address, that will be the buyer's address.

Then you create a shipping label that is addressed to you. You can then save your label as a PDF file and send it to the buyer. It will have his address as a sender (the new default address you created), and your address as the addressee. You need to coordinate with the buyer when to print out and send him the label so they can send it on the date indicated on the label. If they send it later, it's not a big deal, PO usually does not care about it. The pirateship rates are lower than what you would get at PO counter (retail). Sounds complicated but it is not. Just look up their help section or chat with them. They respond very quickly.

Then don't forget to delete that temporary default address.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Since you're in Managed Payments @ryan795, instead of sending cash to your buyer's Managed Payments account to pay for a return shipping label:

Just buy a shipping label from Managed Payments using your pending funds, just like we bought before a shipping label from PayPal ship now using a credit card.

Then email the label to the buyer's @members.ebay.com email address shown when you click the Order Number in the seller hub

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@ryan795 wrote:

I contacted Ebay and they said the case is closed so no return label can be bought thru Ebay.

Buy a shipping label on Pay Pal and send it to the buyer.

Have a great day
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I did check into sending a label, however the package is only 8 ounces and was sent First Class. I do not know a way to buy first class on line. I can get a priority label for about 10.00.  I contacted my buyer with two options. To mark return to sender or send me the amount for postage. He must  have opened the package, because he asked for my address to check on shipping costs. I am waiting now to see what happens on his side.  EBay has no flexibility in helping sellers. With these days of late shipments a bit more help from EBay would be nice. Like not requiring refunds to buyers when package is still in transit. Like if the package arrives late help the seller get it back if the buyer no longer wants it.  Like giving the buyer a demerit if they do not pay if they will not pay or send back the package after a refund has been made. Just saying.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

You can print a first class label online. You can print to a pdf and email to the buyer. You can print via eBay, paypal or USPS.com.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply