cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New policy? What does this mean?

We’re reaching out to let you know that, starting May 15, your listings that display calculated shipping will default to showing eBay Labels discounted shipping rates. The new default rates will apply to all of your active and future listings that offer calculated shipping; listings with free or flat rate shipping won’t be affected.

We’re making this change to help your listings attract more buyers by offering a lower shipping cost. To get the discounted rate that will be displayed on your listing, make sure to purchase your shipping labels through eBay Labels.

---------------

I don't use 'calculated shipping', I do a fixed cost for my small light shipments.

This won't have any effect on me ... right?

So, for you sellers that DO use calculated shipping, they're taking the extra bump out of shipping which, I assume helps to cover the cost of shipping supplies, and your time.  That's gone too, now?

Message 1 of 52
latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

Re: New policy? What does this mean?

I have not received that email yet.

Message 16 of 52
latest reply

I think you can add a handling fee if you don't want to opt out.

Shipping supplies cost me anywhere from $2.00 to $3.00 per item. I like to be able to get new boxes and supplies for free, but it's not likely to happen. I guess I could remove the thank you card, the tissue paper, and buy thinner boxes to save money. 

Message 17 of 52
latest reply

For me, the eBay discount on shipping usually covers the final value fee they charge me on the shipping and on sales tax. Might be a few cents off here or there, but it's not usually a huge boost to my profit.  Essentially, eBay offers me the discounted postage, which can be "up to 25 percent" on Ground Advantage, then they turn around and charge me 15 percent FVF on that postage, which the buyer would never consider if shown the discounted rate I paid, AND on sales tax. Then they send me a 1099 that includes the sales tax in my sales even though I never see or handle those funds. I use calculated shipping because it seems fair to me and the buyer, and I learned the hard way that free shipping can eat you alive if your buyer happens to be in, say, California. I took enough losses on long distance shipping that I decided just to push through the shipping charge to the buyer. If it's too high because of his or her location, then I might lose the sale. That's ok.

Message 18 of 52
latest reply

Currently in shipping preferences, the choices are 1) eBay discounted rates; 2) Custom discounted rates; and 3) Standard rates without discount.

I've always had eBay discounted rates selected; I ship through Pirate Ship and the postage charged has always been accurate, i.e., matched the postage paid for.

Since eBay discounted rates is an option, it makes no sense to me why eBay has to make this "change" to make it a default that people have to opt out of.

Message 19 of 52
latest reply

It's always " OPT OUT " never " OPT IN " . They know we do not agree with what some new college grad marketing exec new hire that shops only on Amazon comes up with.

Message 20 of 52
latest reply

Guess the push for this back last year when ebay "strongly suggested" we do this didn't get enough takers.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 21 of 52
latest reply

Since eBay discounted rates is an option, it makes no sense to me why eBay has to make this "change" to make it a default that people have to opt out of.

-------------------------------------------

Per the message.............. 

to help your listings attract more buyers by offering a lower shipping cost

Message 22 of 52
latest reply

ebay wants to attract more buyers, as long as the sellers pay for it and not ebay.

got it.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 23 of 52
latest reply

Once again they fail to let people opt in. Instead forcing sellers to contact them, and there is no way for us to change our shipping preferences ourselves. Instead we have to wait to see if eBay will actually do it.

This isn't going to generate more money for eBay or sellers. It a loss for both. And it makes zero sense since many sellers need to be able to chose shipping themselves. I don't always use their labels, and with the fees they charge us on shipping, it means I'm losing even more money.

I've started donating items and throwing them away instead of listing on here. I'm having more sales on specialty selling websites this year than on here. I've been selling on eBay for around 25 years and I will say that eBay is dying.

I have to wonder if that stupid move of Bonanza to force sellers to use only their labels is behind this. Both treat sellers like we are stupid and can't decide for ourselves what shipping we want to use. I removed all my listings from Bonanza, and will have to do it here if eBay doesn't opt me out of this. I see I can do this manually but why should I have to do that work? And it will actually reduce the money I make from selling on here when my prices are already lower than a lot of sellers online. 

I'm tired of being forced to pay fees on shipping and sales tax. Both lose money for me. Does eBay let sellers opt out of that? Nope.

Message 24 of 52
latest reply

eBay sent an email today.

Message 25 of 52
latest reply

I have to say this just feels like another attack on sellers to again pander to the buyer. I thought buyers having the ability to leave negative feedback on items politely cancelled and refunded was bad. I mean, forbid someone makes a honest mistake. This is just absurd. Nickel dining sellers to death and sellers at the end of the day keep the tent up just as much or more than buyers. Enough with the lopsided changes in policy. I’m ranting a bit, sorry. Haven’t had my AM coffee yet 😁

Message 26 of 52
latest reply

@ethereal_spirits wrote:

Once again they fail to let people opt in. Instead forcing sellers to contact them, and there is no way for us to change our shipping preferences ourselves. Instead we have to wait to see if eBay will actually do it.

This isn't going to generate more money for eBay or sellers. It a loss for both. And it makes zero sense since many sellers need to be able to chose shipping themselves. I don't always use their labels, and with the fees they charge us on shipping, it means I'm losing even more money.

I've started donating items and throwing them away instead of listing on here. I'm having more sales on specialty selling websites this year than on here. I've been selling on eBay for around 25 years and I will say that eBay is dying.

I have to wonder if that stupid move of Bonanza to force sellers to use only their labels is behind this. Both treat sellers like we are stupid and can't decide for ourselves what shipping we want to use. I removed all my listings from Bonanza, and will have to do it here if eBay doesn't opt me out of this. I see I can do this manually but why should I have to do that work? And it will actually reduce the money I make from selling on here when my prices are already lower than a lot of sellers online. 

I'm tired of being forced to pay fees on shipping and sales tax. Both lose money for me. Does eBay let sellers opt out of that? Nope.

It is currently set as a default of opted out. It changes to a default of opted in on this date.  You should still be able to change it back in your shipping preferences where it is located right now. 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 27 of 52
latest reply

The email also says "If you want to opt out of this change, just (let us know here link) by May 13 and we won’t make any changes to your current shipping rates."  But that link just goes to a survey, not to where you can opt out.  Mine had already been changed!

Message 28 of 52
latest reply

But you can change it yourself still. 

You can also switch back to showing standard rates at any time after May 15 through your shipping discount settings.  If it's set that way now you should be able to change it now as well. 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 29 of 52
latest reply

After reading thru all the replies thus far, I am even more confused.  It would be most helpful if they added in specific examples of what they're talking about.

I was *hoping* that since I ship almost exclusively USPS Media Mail the inbox message meant that EBAY was going to contract directly with USPS to get the discounted Media Mail rate for commercial shippers which is somewhat cheaper than what I pay individually as I don't due the volume that the commercial media mail requires (but Ebay presumably would).  For example, if *I* sell a 1# book and buy/print the label off Ebay, it's $4.13 to ship....for commercial shippers, it's $2.80.

And, since I always buy my labels from Ebay, that is the same thing as "ebay discounted shipping".

At worst I was thinking this change would actually change nothing from my perspective. At best, I was thinking it would save me a chunk and I could lower my prices.

I've used 'calculated shipping' since that first time I got caught with my pants down - USPS raised rates and I had to *manually* go thru each listing to reflect the change <shudder>.

Now, I'm just completely confused.

Message 30 of 52
latest reply