cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi quantity shipping with EIS

When an international buyer purchases more than one like item from the same single listing, do the rules you have set for combining weight of the additional items apply not only to the domestic calculated cost to the hub, but used when EIS calculates the international shipping costs?

In other words, if an international buyer purchases a quantity of 5 items in one purchase from the same listing, can a seller prevent the EIS part of the charges from just adding either the individual weights or individual shipping charges, causing an overcharge for shipping? 

@wastingtime101  I know you can't combine across separate item/purchases, but what about the above for just a quantity of a single item purchase?

@trustblue127I posted this here where more could help answer this.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Multi quantity shipping with EIS

Something important to keep in mind (and you may already be doing this @trustblue127 ) is to make sure your listings have accurate weight and dimensions on the listing form. This is often overlooked when sellers offer free domestic shipping which is why I mention it. Wt/dm are important for EIS and also important for domestic return labels.

That said, I did some testing with one of your listings, item 220786733975

To the UK shipping for 1 is $14.58 with EIS

To the UK shipping for 3 of the same variation from the same listing is $15.47 with EIS

To the UK shipping for 3 different variations from the same listing is $43.68 with EIS

So the system will combine same exact item/variation, but it will not (currently) combine different listings or different variations of the same listing.

That said, @rfmtm, a member of the shipping team in the last monthly chat said EIS will announce combined shipping before year end. Details on which portion (domestic, international, or both) will be combined have not been released yet.

In the meantime, sellers can either create custom listings for buyers with all items in one listing. Or they can opt out of EIS until combined shipping rolls out. Or they can leave things as they are, knowing they'll lose some sales to buyers that want multiples. No ideal work around, but hopefully combined EIS ship will launch soon.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

@wastingtime101  Here is the original post of the problem, which was EIS was simply multiplying the single item weight times the quantity resulting in an overweight calculation.  So are you saying the rule to combine with subtracting weight for additional items will work to fix this or not, like it does for domestic charges?

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Ask-a-Mentor/International-Shipping/m-p/33933686#M492055

What happens if you set additional items to ship free?  What does EIS do with that?

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

I'm saying the OP's buyer was purchasing different variations. The system isn't combining variations, it's treating them as separate items with separate ship costs, even when purchased together.

The only workaround is to offer direct international shipping (no EIS) with combined ship rules, or to create a custom bundle listing for the buyer so EIS sees it as a single item with a single ship cost.

When EIS launches combined ship hopefully these types of transactions won't result in overcharging buyers.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@wastingtime101  Yes, I understand the problem when purchasing different variations, which has never work with EIS.  But exactly what does EIS do with a quantity of the same variation?  Does it follow the rules seller sets up for shipping weight and cost for additional items of the same item, or does it just ignore those rules too?

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@rfmtm wrote:

But exactly what does EIS do with a quantity of the same variation?  Does it follow the rules seller sets up for shipping weight and cost for additional items of the same item, or does it just ignore those rules too?

In my first post I tested the OP's listing and it combined on the same variation. Would probably need to check some other listings, perhaps for heavier items, to answer definitively. But for the OP it was combining the same variation. I don't have visibility to OP's listing form to see if they entered wt/dm on the form, so I'd have to do testing with listings where I knew for sure how the listing form was set up. If I have time this week I'll follow up with you @rfmtm 

I did some testing with one of your listings, item 220786733975

To the UK shipping for 1 is $14.58 with EIS

To the UK shipping for 3 of the same variation from the same listing is $15.47 with EIS

To the UK shipping for 3 different variations from the same listing is $43.68 with EIS

GLORIOUS!

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@wastingtime101  Yes, I saw that, and it does appear to be doing the right thing.  But not really knowing how the OP has the rules setup one can't be sure.

Certainly hope ebay get this all straighten out to make EIS viable for all international shipping.

I also realized that on another ID store, most of my listings don't have weight or dimensions entered, because I do only free shipping so doesn't make any difference.  Wonder what EIS what does with that? 

Suppose I should update the listings, but some like variation listings where it is for different discount quantities, which alter the weight and dimensions, it would be impossible since there is only a single weight/dimension input, rather than a separate entries for each variation.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@rfmtm wrote:

I also realized that on another ID store, most of my listings don't have weight or dimensions entered, because I do only free shipping so doesn't make any difference.  Wonder what EIS what does with that?

When there's no wt/dm on the listing eBay will use programming logic that determines a category/item average to come up with the international rate. eBay recommends having accurate wt/dm on the listing to avoid issues like buyers being over/undercharged based on the estimates, and to avoid issues with items returned to sellers because they're over the EIS package size and/or weight limits.

I've been telling sellers they should always put wt/dm on new listings, and if their current listings are large in number to add wt/dm any time they update a listing, but otherwise just leave those listings. If listings are small in number (300 or less), then I'd recommend updating as you can. Once or twice a week update a batch of 10-20 listings.

GLORIOUS!

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Yes, I agree, will have to start updating my weights and dimensions.  Still a real problem with variation listings though.  Something else ebay needs to address.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Great answer.  In this particular item I often have multiple sales both Domestically and Internationally.

I don't see how the eBay can combine 3 of the same variation but not 3 combine  a variation since the variation is the same price and the same weight again (in grams).  But I'll take your word for that.

I'll check my rule for combining weight.

Lower the weight from 2oz to 1oz  which could potentially reduce the weight by 1/2 of what it is now.

Try using no weight

and creating new listing with wording that will hopefully get the attention of International Buyers to create custom lots for them

Thank You. 

trustblue127

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Thanks for the time that you invested in your answer. 

trustblue127

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

eBay formally announced in Wednesday's Fall Seller Update @trustblue127 that combined ship on eIS will be coming soon.

When asked about it at eBay Open last week, the shipping team said they hope to roll it out November / early December, but they're still working out some issues so the timeline could get pushed.

Another eBay rep confirmed that the international portion will combine based on weight and the domestic portion will combine if the seller has combined shipping rules set up.

GLORIOUS!

Message 12 of 12
latest reply