cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local pickup question

An item said local pickup only.  I gave an offer and it was accepted.  I purchased it.  I set up with UPS to pick it up.  Then the seller would not work with me on the pickup.  The destination was too far away.   The scheduling window for the day was too long.  Etc.

It just seems unfair that a seller can cancel a deal just like that.   And have the buyer unable to leave a  comment.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Local pickup question

Local pick up means that YOU go pick up the item NOT UPS>  You put the buyer in a position that they had to box the item etc.  Not what local pick up means.

This quest stands on the edge of a blade...stray but a little and you shall fail to the ruin of us all.
"The Lady Galadriel"
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Your seller listed the item as local pickup only because they didn't want to have to ship the item.  You are trying to force them to ship.  If you didn't want to personally go and get your purchase, you should have talked with the seller BEFORE the sale and asked if shipping would be an option if you arranged it.  You are now asking the seller to go against the terms of the sale and do something that was not agreed upon.  You're in the wrong here.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

As you have seen, arranging a UPS pickup has constraints that do not affect a genuine "local pickup" in the sense that eBay uses the term.  An actual in-person pickup usually has a narrow window based on direct negotiations between both parties, perhaps an hour or maybe even a whole morning, etc. The seller should not be expected to set aside a whole day to wait for UPS to show up.

And as noted in other posts, the seller also should not be expected to pack up the item; that's probably the main reason why he chose to offer only "local pickup" in the first place.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

report the seller best idea. Good idea that you had USP to picked it. 

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Aside from giving the seller a UPS eight hour window, you have completely wrong assumptions.   I could have worked with UPS to shorten the pickup window to just mornings or afternoons.   The seller was never expected to pack up the item.  I had that arranged with UPS.  The seller only stated on the ad that the item was in the basement and would need to be carried up flights of stairs.  I also had that arranged with UPS.  The seller never bothered to communicate.  

The sellers reason for the cancel purchase was: Item Out of Stock.

Now it is up for sale again.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

I went against the terms of the sale?  It was local pickup.  Can you direct me on Ebay terms to pickup only terms?  The seller never stated on the ad any of this.

So you are saying that I personally had to go pick it up?  Not a professional carrier?

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Do you have the Ebay terms on local pickup?  Picking the item up myself was not communicated by the seller.  For that matter an awful communicator.  It would sounds to me a professional mover would be a lot safer.T

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

I don't think you read my original post.  The seller was not going to do the shipping.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Where are getting this information from?  You are making a lot of assumptions here.   The seller never asked me if they had to box the item up.  

The seller did not list in descriptions that I had to go pick it up.  A professional would be a lot safer with this item.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

if it makes you feel any better since he used the out of stock option he received a very serious defect on his account.

This quest stands on the edge of a blade...stray but a little and you shall fail to the ruin of us all.
"The Lady Galadriel"
Message 11 of 16
latest reply

I wouldn't call UPS a "professional mover." UPS has no packing skills what-so-ever, neither does Fedex for that matter. The commercials these companies run about 'letting our pros' pack it for you are aggravating to say the least. Their "pros" are generally college kids with no experience (not the fault of the kids) and they don't even have the proper packing materials for a lot of items. They pack horribly, I have watched them do it with others packages and just shake my head at what I see.

To be fair, even actual moving companies generally don't have the properly trained labor for packing as they go through a lot of employees so rarely are there people with extensive handling experience.

But back to your original question. As others have stated, local pick up means that you are to meet and pick it up yourself (unless you and the seller have made other arrangements prior to your bidding/buying).

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

With local pick up...the buyer, or their 'representative' is allowed to pick up the item.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Local pickup means you drive to the seller's location, pay cash, and physically take the item with you.   No shipping.  No Paypal. 

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

This is very simple.

If you contacted the seller, let him know what you wanted to do, made the offer and the seller accepted, the seller is in the wrong.

If you made the offer, the seller accepted, then you let him know what you wanted to do and proceeded to make the pickup arrangements, you are in the wrong.

Which way did it go?

Either way, the seller gave himself a very nasty non-performance defect. For a small seller it only takes TWO to get them permanently banned from Ebay.  That should make you happy.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 15 of 16
latest reply