cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

List of ebay's media mail categories

I have searched a ton, and I can't find a list of the ebay categories that allow media mail shipping.

I am very clear on the USPS rules for media mail - that's not my question.

What I want to know is eBay's list of categories that allow you to ship via media mail. I ask because some categories allow you to choose media mail, but when you go to ship with that option, you aren't able to. 

Obviously books, DVDs, CDs, LPs, sheet music all qualify. What about categories like Ephemera, other ones? (I realize some ephemera could have advertising, so maybe ebay automatically makes that unavailable; but for instance, I have antique magazines with no ads in them that technically could be sent media mail, but I'm listing them in the ephemera category. I don't want to find out later that ebay's not going to let me print the media mail label.)

I'd really just like to find a list from ebay that makes it clear and serves as a single reference.

Thanks for any help with this.

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

There is no list.

But if your item qualifies for media mail, you can purchase the label anywhere. From pirateship.com or paypal.com/shipnow or at the post office since retail rate matches online rate with MM.

If you're unable to add it to your listing, but you know your item qualifies, then you can choose a generic "economy" shipping and put in a flat rate cost.

All that said, magazines are considered periodicals and they do not qualify for media mail, regardless of whether or not they have ads.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 20
latest reply

Magazines are not eligible for Media Mail, regardless of their age or their lack of advertising.

As noted in the other post, eBay has not released a list of which categories will lead to the option to purchase Media Mail. In general, they base this restriction on the top level of the category.

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

Thanks for your replies. It's a shame there's not a list for everyone's reference, but oh well!

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

Pardon me for asking, but, if eBay actually had a list, wouldn't it be the same as the list from the USPS? 

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

Pardon me for asking, but, if eBay actually had a list, wouldn't it be the same as the list from the USPS? 

No, that's not how eBay set it up.

Example: you cannot purchase media mail in the collectibles category because the majority of collectibles don't qualify for MM and there's a lot of potential for abuse of the service. But there are collectible subcategories where one can list books that do qualify for MM even though those labels can't be purchased through eBay.

Collectibles as a whole is prevented from purchasing MM even though some of the subcategories may qualify.

Like NP said above, eBay is implementing most of these restrictions at high levels with occasional exceptions for subcategories. So the eBay list is not going to align exactly with the USPS list.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 6 of 20
latest reply

@soh.maryl 

"if eBay actually had a list, wouldn't it be the same as the list from the USPS? "

Not necessarily.  Those of us who are booksellers have realized that actual book items that are listed under other eBay categories (such as "Collectibles," "Religion," and so on) are NOT considered to be "books" by eBay -- the primary eBay category is the determining factor for eBay's "book" qualification test.  

So, if I want to list a book about Buddhism, I need to list it under the broader category of "Books," with a lesser "Topic" reference of "Buddhism" buried inside the listing, rather than attempting to list the book under "Religion," with a lesser "Topic" reference of "Buddhism."   The difference is -- the "book" can be shipped out at USPS Media rate, while the "Religion" listing can NOT be shipped at USPS Media.

Thus, it seems clear that eBay still needs to tweak its system once again, to allow "book" items listed in other categories to be mailed at USPS Media rates, rather than to be dictated by the broader "Category" wall, which at this time blocks "book" items that are not deliberately placed in the "Books" category.

Can it be done?  Sure. 

But WILL it be done?  In the words of Hamlet, "Ay, there's the rub."

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

OK, I see your point.  But this brings up another question (to me, that is).  Evidently, sellers are able to list items as shipping MM that do not qualify as MM since we do see sellers here who have done so.  What, exactly, happens then? 

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

@soh.maryl 

" Evidently, sellers are able to list items as shipping MM that do not qualify as MM since we do see sellers here who have done so.  What, exactly, happens then? "

And the question actually should be -- "Why is eBay permitting obvious non-media items to "slip through the cracks," allowing them to be shipped at USPS Media rate, rather than the proper USPS rates for non-media items?"

This seems to be a very manageable programmer issue, easily solved by removing that option from ALL non-media categories, and why it continues to be an eBay issue is confounding. 

There are only a very few individual varieties of "media" items which are allowed under USPS regulations (books, CDs, DVDs, records, scripts, and so on); and one would think that a very simple program could be designed to eliminate the "media" option from everything else -- including magazines, comic books, playing cards, automobile parts, pottery, flatware, hardware fittings, action figures, electric scooters, and so on -- all of which I have seen listed on eBay with USPS Media shipping!

So, again -- another eBay programming issue which decidedly needs tweaking, and one with which  the majority of eBay sellers would agree.

And -- again -- why is eBay taking so long to make what seems to be a very easy "tweak"?

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

What happens then?

Either they get away with it, or USPS catches it, and someone "pays".

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

The only thing you can do is buy the media mail shipping on a third party like Pirate Ship. You need to have a third party shipping provider available for when eBay's shipping system is down or is having issues (it happens, and happens at the worst time), so it is a good thing to have available anyway.

This particular issue has been going on for several years and is unlikely to be resolved anytime soon. I run into this issue regularly. Having to use a third party provider in those cases is a bit of a pain, but it is just the way it is unfortunately.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

im having the same issue 32 page RULE BOOK , key word there BOOK , and flat rate is more expensive key word EXPENSIVE  ( thinking about my buyers ) , how do we get media mail for items that qualify for it , wow ebay is getting more FRUSTRATING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! by the day 

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

Magazines are not allowed to be shipped Media Mail no matter how old it may be. 

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

@jasoheat_0 wrote:

im having the same issue 32 page RULE BOOK , key word there BOOK , and flat rate is more expensive key word EXPENSIVE  ( thinking about my buyers ) , how do we get media mail for items that qualify for it ...

As explained in the very first post, if your item is listed in a category where eBay doesn't offer purchase of MM postage, "if your item qualifies for media mail, you can purchase the label anywhere. From pirateship.com or paypal.com/shipnow or at the post office since retail rate matches online rate with MM."

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

@jasoheat_0 wrote:

im having the same issue 32 page RULE BOOK , key word there BOOK , and flat rate is more expensive key word EXPENSIVE  ( thinking about my buyers ) , how do we get media mail for items that qualify for it , wow ebay is getting more FRUSTRATING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! by the day 

When I said above @jasoheat_0 :

If you're unable to add it to your listing, but you know your item qualifies, then you can choose a generic "economy" shipping and put in a flat rate cost.

I was in no way referring to USPS branded Priority Mail Flat Rate packaging. I was referring to the eBay listing form which can be set up with seller-entered flat rates for shipping, or with calculated shipping. On the listing form you'd select flat rate instead of calculated, then enter a media mail rate based on your package's weight. You can get the MM rates from USPS or from the eBay shipping calculator. Alternately you can select flat rate, choose generic economy as the service, then check the free shipping box and bake the ship cost into your item price.

GLORIOUS!

Message 15 of 20
latest reply