cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep item listed until offer accepted or declined.

I have a suggestion for Ebay not that they will listen but here goes. I have had a number of buyers that feel, for whatever reason, that they have to wait until the last seconds to make an offer on a fixed price item and the item closes before I can get to it. The other day I had one that was literally only a couple of second before the item closed. Having said all that hey Ebay why not keep, at least, the offer open until it is either accepted, declined or all the counter offers are exhausted? That seems extremely reasonable to me. Why don't you get your programmers on that right away. I am sure there are literally thousands of sellers that have had the same situation. I'm waiting but I'm not going to hold my breath. 

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Keep item listed until offer accepted or declined.

Nope.  Not gonna happen.

The listing end date is clearly stated on every listing.  How can a buyer expect a seller to be online at the end of every listing in order to accept or decline.  I would think that once this happens the buyer would be more alert and make the offer with plenty of time for the seller to respond, as least 48 hours or more before the listing ends.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

The last hour is the only time ebay shows listings to buyers so of course that is when the offers will happen.
And it is ebay's view as a seller you should hand deliver it to the customer that made the offer in the last second of a fixed price listing had apologize for not accepting the late offer instantly and tell them they can just have it for free since you did not respond and if they don't like it they can ship it back at your expense.
And since your are slower than some of your peers, ebay will charge you 4% more of your gross sales of the good buyers who paid full price or made a reasonable offer early.
Message 3 of 18
latest reply

The last hour is the only time ebay shows listings to buyers so of course that is when the offers will happen.
____

Baloney
Message 4 of 18
latest reply

@debvor wrote:
 ... wait until the last seconds to make an offer on a fixed price item and the item closes before I can get to it. ...  why not keep, at least, the offer open until it is either accepted, declined or all the counter offers are exhausted? .... 

That problem can be avoided by using the "Good until canceled" duration rather than a fixed duration for your fixed price listing.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

I also get many last minute offers and I typically only sell BIN with offers available. I'm usually home every day so I can accept these last minute offers. When I'm at a doctor's appointment and miss the offer, I find that generally the same person will send a second offer once I relist the item. I've compared the names as they stay in my messages and 9 out of 10 times that item will sell to the same person within a day or so of relisting it. Try that out and see if it works for you.
Best of luck....
Message 6 of 18
latest reply

I am not a "big" seller, I just sell to de-clutter, so my input may not be too valuable.

I have my listings set to automatically accept/not accept offers within a range.  

My listings are also good until cancelled.  That prevents the problem you mentioned of receiving offers (that you may have accepted) at the last few minutes of the listing.  

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

@debvor I found this while looking for something else.  You can change the buyer notification that a listing is closing soon.  Not sure if this is for bidders or for watchers and bidders, but you may want to take a look.  

You can change the time from 5 minutes up to 180 minutes.  

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

That's for notifications that you receive. Not for notifications that are sent out about your listings.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect  Well rats, I thought I found something good.  Thanks for correcting me.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

Don't want Ebay to get any more money that they deserve.
Message 11 of 18
latest reply

@debvor wrote:
Don't want Ebay to get any more money that they deserve.

You pay the same fees with a good til canceled listing as you would if you relisted the same item over and over for 30 days each time.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Buyers have been condition by auctions to wait until the last seconds to bid so they think the same applies to fixed price. I think my solution is very reasonable.
Message 13 of 18
latest reply

I agree with usmediamass.
Message 14 of 18
latest reply

I usually relist and item within a day or two of closing but that doesn't help. Sometimes I will contact the person who made the offer but I find that it the item has closed the sales goes cold.
Message 15 of 18
latest reply