cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item not received case when buyer provided insufficient address

Buyer's item was supposed to be delivered 3 days ago. The tracking shows "insufficient address." Today I got two messages within minutes of each other. One says "I forgot to add address number, please resend." The next was an item not received case that I have to respond to within 4 days, and it's unlikely I would have the item back at that time. 

Options? Do I just refund her and wait for the item to come back to me with any luck? Would ebay side with me if I don't issue a refund, since tracking shows an issue and she messaged saying she didn't provide enough information? If I were to resend to her I would only do it if she pays for additional shipping. 

What would my best course of action be?

Thanks

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Item not received case when buyer provided insufficient address

Don't refund until you have the item back at your possession to check for any damages while at road. If package be damaged in this process the shipping service is liable 

You'll never know, package may be delivered anyway so wait till you have it back

By rule of thumb, eBay will not side with Sellers and always finds ways to accommodate Buyers

Just respond to Buyer that you're waiting for return of the package. If Buyer still wants the item, you need to relist and Buyer needs to re-buy the item in order for you to issue a label for an on-file address which is hopefully corrected. It's a process and you need to stay away from making a mistake

If eBay steps in, software seeing tracking discrepancies will kick the process to a live eBay rep. So, someone will read your response. Make sure you write, you're waiting for the return of the package before refund .  Make the sentences very short and to the point

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

As long as you shipped to the address on record in the transaction, you should have seller protection. The buyer is responsible for supplying an accurate and complete addresss.

This is the policy and shows that the buyer loses protection: 

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

Screen Shot 2021-11-08 at 1.46.09 PM.png

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@shortcake21 

you must respond to the INR dispute with tracking to show that the address was incomplete or inaccurate. If necessary, you can also include the link to the policy and the part of the policy that shows the buyer's loss of protection.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

You will win the INR if you upload tracking. If you want to re-ship it after you receive it back, send the buyer a message letting them know that, but tell them how much shipping will cost and get their e-mail to send an invoice through PayPal. Personally, I'd pad the shipping cost by the amount of the PayPal fees, but that's up to you.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Thank you for your responses. It was too frustrating of a day overall to think straight through the process of responding to the situation. That was a great link to provide in the response! I need to bookmark that!

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Just be very careful on your responses. If the case is open as 'Item Not Received' and tracking shows address discrepancy. eBay will guide you to load the tracking, only then, you should do that

Don't let frustration lead you to a mistake. Follow the questions and answers asked by eBay. Keep your Buyer calm by staying calm. Don't do anything Buyer wants, you'll lose if you do

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Insufficient address = Buyer lose.

Wait until last day passed and ask EBay step in and close it for you

Buyer Open Case =  Buyer cannot leave you Negative Feedback once you win the case

This would be the best scenario for you because you will definitely win and Buyer will never be able to negative you for revenge. 

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Re: Do I just refund her and wait for the item to come back to me with any luck?

No, You do not refund her .

respond on the INR case with all tracking details and what is stated on track& trace website and also mention that buyer has advised/ confirmed that address provided was not complete.

In my experience as a delivery was attempted eBay will close the case without a refund to buyer.

Re: If I were to resend to her I would only do it if she pays for additional shipping. 

That would be the right thing to do and you can message the buyer advising her of postage cost + PayPal fees to resend the item and advise her your email address associated with your PayPal account and also ask her to close the return case.

If your buyer does not pay postage+ charges for resending the item and eBay or buyer has closed the case and item comes back to you then I would recommend that you issue a refund to buyer ( Through order) for item price minus any postage costs and eBay's fees( You do not get eBay fees back if partial refund is issued).

Message 9 of 9
latest reply