cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there such a thing as packaging something "too well?"

So, being that I am both a buyer and seller on ebay, I often consider the other side of the coin whenever I think about something or have an issue etc.

Recently, I've been running into buying a lot of things that were packaged very well... in fact, almost too well. It's hard to complain honestly, when someone takes care and wraps something in bubble wrap and tapes it up to be secure. However...

I find myself getting a knife or scissors and gnawing it open and sometimes I find myself being aggravated by that. Again, I know I shouldn't be, I should be happy my item arrived and was well taken care of for it's journey to me from the seller.

Don't get me wrong, I would never complain to a seller about this or leave bad feedback or anything. But it got me thinking...

When I sell stuff I tend to package it up similarly with great care and perhaps "over" protection. But only just recently did I begin to think.. could I be ticking off some people out there? Again, at least from my view point, it's hard to imagine complaining about something being packed TOO well, but could it be a problem??

Have any of you ever had an unhappy buyer because you packaged something TOO well/carefully?

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Is there such a thing as packaging something "too well?"

I agree, I would never complain to the seller that they “over-packed”. I buy a lot of books online, mostly modern fiction. There seems to be a growing trend to tightly wrap the book in plastic (Saran Wrap) with no obvious way to find the “start” to unwrapping. This results in a torn dust jacket. Ive been able to “save” some of them using an X-acto knife, a lot of patience and a prayer but that’s just too much trouble. Consequently, most of my buying is from “the river”.

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

What -- you skipped the silk ribbon and the embossed gift card?

For shame!

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

YES,  it is quite aggravating to have to cut through 16 layers of tape and then take out the inside packaging that has another 16 layers of tape, inside another box that has 16 layers of tape. 

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

What I Ring is that some sellers are too cheap to buy an adequate box for the item so they Layer it and layer it with bubble wrap and massive amounts of tape. Go figure, a box would cost less than the tape and bubble wrap they use. Then the item is placed in a Cracker Jack box.

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

I sell glass and other fragile items (buy too). I am sure some people think my  stuff is over packed but the journey can be long and tough. When stuff is sent to m it is often over packed as well. I just try and surgically open and reuse the bubble, Haven't had to buy bubble or peanuts in two years so can't complain.

OTOH, had to return two items (same one twice) to Amazon this week because of damaged items. One was sent in a poly bag with zero packing, It was an aluminum and yea got bent. 

Message 20 of 20
latest reply